The Student Room Group

Bloated

I don't know if I am just sensitive to carbs but after meals, I get bloated (not every meal but I am usually bloated at least once in a day it's not always bad bloated).

For example today I had half a bowl of pasta (the full pack of the thing it comes in is too much for me to eat) and I was bloated for half an hour afterwards.

I don't eat a lot of carbs bearing in mind I love toast and my favourite food is pasta, but I can eat a low carb meal and still be bloated afterwards.
I don't think I have an intolerance as I only have the symptom of bloatedness.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if I am just sensitive to carbs but after meals, I get bloated (not every meal but I am usually bloated at least once in a day it's not always bad bloated).

For example today I had half a bowl of pasta (the full pack of the thing it comes in is too much for me to eat) and I was bloated for half an hour afterwards.

I don't eat a lot of carbs bearing in mind I love toast and my favourite food is pasta, but I can eat a low carb meal and still be bloated afterwards.
I don't think I have an intolerance as I only have the symptom of bloatedness.

Carbs can make you bloated, especially when eaten in large volumes. Pretty normal thing to experience.

It is possible that you could be gluten intolerant. While unlikely, it could explain why eating pasta or bread makes you bloated. You could try substituting your diet gluten-free carbs and see if that changes anything.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/444370-why-do-i-get-bloated-when-i-eat-carbs/
Reply 2
You may be sensitive to FODMAPs. In some individuals, FODMAPs are poorly digested, so they end up reaching the colon. They draw water into the intestine and get fermented by hydrogen-producing gut bacteria. You may need to try low FODMAP diet for a while. The low-FODMAP diet can improve symptoms and quality of life in many people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It also reduces symptoms of various other digestive disorders.

To reduce bloating in general But I would suggest: -Eat as slowly as possible. The brain needs time to understand you are getting fed, eating too fast causes gas build up in the tummy. Do not use straws to drink beverages again to prevent gas build up. - Reduce your intake of broccoli, beans, lentils, cauliflower, kale, and brussels sprouts the body has to work hard to digest them, leading to gas and bloating as they ferment in the digestive tract. - Add peppermint into your meals. Peppermint has an oil component and numerous and extensive studies have proved peppermint oil can help reduce bloating. The relaxing effect of peppermint oil for gastrointestinal tract is due to the effect of peppermint oil in decreasing calcium influx into the smooth muscle cells. One product I have recently found with peppermint oil is called Relamint.

Quick Reply

Latest