The Student Room Group

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong?

Hi there,

I'm aware that there may be people in a similar position with the same question or maybe someone who has been having the same issues but has managed to have a positive outcome. All inputs are welcome!

I achieved grades BCC at A level due to various reasons, but worked my butt off at my non Russell group university and graduated with a 1st in Law last year. I also have a variety of legal experience: In house within the HE sector, in a top 100 law firm, and in a legal clinic. I have been applying for training contracts over the past few months and it has been a soul crushing experience (excuse the dramatics).

I have applied to 7 firms none of them are magic circle, but they are top 100 firms. Of the 7 I have had an outright PFO from 5, failed at the Numerical and verbal reasoning tests for 1, and haven't heard back from the final firm. I make sure to convey my enthusiasm for the firm and the sector in all my applications, proof read etc etc. It doesn't seem to be enough.

I have also started applying for paralegal roles and so far the rejections are still rolling in thick and fast lol.

Does anyone have an idea of what I may be doing wrong or how I can improve?

Also if you are in the same boat feel free to vent here too.
Thanks in advance guys!
5 PFOs isn't uncommon.

The 1st helps a lot, but you are still going to face an uphill battle with your A-Level grades. I suggest you reach out to the graduate recruitment at law firms first and explain your situation. Otherwise, you are going to be wasting time writing applications.

If you continue to get rejected after that, see if you can get someone to review your application.
Reply 2
Try to sign up to career support services. Check if your university offers it. They offer help, guidance and sometimes training for psychometric tests (including free access to practise tests), mock interview and assessment centres. They should also review your applications. Also, try to get as much feedback as possible.

A paralegal position is so difficult to get, especially if you haven't yet completed the LPC. If you cannot get that at this time, try to get something else that will be transferable. Or apply for admin at a firm and work your way up.

Keep pushing!
Original post by J-SP
You’ve only made 7 applications

Some/all of the 5 had a minimum academic requirement for A-levels

Thanks for your response J-SP, and you are definitely right. I just thought (maybe naively) that my work experience combined with my degree would help overcome this.
Original post by Perseverance
5 PFOs isn't uncommon.

The 1st helps a lot, but you are still going to face an uphill battle with your A-Level grades. I suggest you reach out to the graduate recruitment at law firms first and explain your situation. Otherwise, you are going to be wasting time writing applications.

If you continue to get rejected after that, see if you can get someone to review your application.

Hi Perseverance,

I always see your user giving out great advice. Thanks for responding!

Those are definitely some options I can look into.
Original post by M8524
Try to sign up to career support services. Check if your university offers it. They offer help, guidance and sometimes training for psychometric tests (including free access to practise tests), mock interview and assessment centres. They should also review your applications. Also, try to get as much feedback as possible.

A paralegal position is so difficult to get, especially if you haven't yet completed the LPC. If you cannot get that at this time, try to get something else that will be transferable. Or apply for admin at a firm and work your way up.

Keep pushing!

Hi M8524,

Thank you for your response! Do you think I will be able to access these services even though I graduated last year, I hadn't considered doing that so thank you. Yes i'm slowly realizing how competitive paralegal jobs are without the LPC and will try and find some other transferable roles in the meantime - doing something is better than doing nothing. Do you think there is room realistically to work your way up from an admin role at a firm?

Appreciate the support!
Reply 6
Original post by JustGimmieDaLaw
Hi M8524,

Thank you for your response! Do you think I will be able to access these services even though I graduated last year, I hadn't considered doing that so thank you. Yes i'm slowly realizing how competitive paralegal jobs are without the LPC and will try and find some other transferable roles in the meantime - doing something is better than doing nothing. Do you think there is room realistically to work your way up from an admin role at a firm?

Appreciate the support!

Yes definitely, they care about their alumni, it makes them look better in the end too. I recently called my university to ask the same thing. They do indeed help recent graduates. Also keep a look out on LinkedIn. I have been seeing a few recently, some have no grade requirements at all. Look up 'Stive Consultants'. They are launching this September. Apply to the programme, the application process is still probably open. I have also heard about one called 'Rare Recruitment' and also, 'Aspiring Solicitors', which most people know of, however, I think they both may have grade requirements but no harm in trying anyway since you have a good degree & experience.

Many people are promoted from legal admin roles to paralegal positions. I often hear that people are progressed pretty quickly if you prove yourself. You can then aim to progress with the firm or take that experience and sell it elsewhere, or in your TC apps. Remember that some firms love 'different' and transferable jobs too, so don't be disheartened about not getting a paralegal position. I didn't get the best A-levels, but I will not let that stop me. You achieved a First, well done, that is amazing. You have also got some experience under your belt, keep going and work on your apps. Make plan for the next round this autumn/winter. Sometimes, it is just minor things on the application that make a big difference, so seek as much feedback and advice as possible and network.
Original post by M8524
Yes definitely, they care about their alumni, it makes them look better in the end too. I recently called my university to ask the same thing. They do indeed help recent graduates. Also keep a look out on LinkedIn. I have been seeing a few recently, some have no grade requirements at all. Look up 'Stive Consultants'. They are launching this September. Apply to the programme, the application process is still probably open. I have also heard about one called 'Rare Recruitment' and also, 'Aspiring Solicitors', which most people know of, however, I think they both may have grade requirements but no harm in trying anyway since you have a good degree & experience.

Many people are promoted from legal admin roles to paralegal positions. I often hear that people are progressed pretty quickly if you prove yourself. You can then aim to progress with the firm or take that experience and sell it elsewhere, or in your TC apps. Remember that some firms love 'different' and transferable jobs too, so don't be disheartened about not getting a paralegal position. I didn't get the best A-levels, but I will not let that stop me. You achieved a First, well done, that is amazing. You have also got some experience under your belt, keep going and work on your apps. Make plan for the next round this autumn/winter. Sometimes, it is just minor things on the application that make a big difference, so seek as much feedback and advice as possible and network.

Ah thank you so much! Honestly very helpful. I couldn't find 'Stive Consultants' but I did find rare recruitment and have signed up. I did apply for aspiring solicitors but I wasn't shortlisted after sending in my Cv.

May I ask what stage of the process you are currently at? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put it on here.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending