Best Mobile Network for Cambridge Watch

thewinelake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So DD has been whingeing about not getting a good mobile signal in all the parts of Cambridge she tends to visit.

I was wondering if the panel have any comparative experiences of different networks around town?

She's on Three, and while it's OK at Christs, it's ropey at Queens'. I suppose I could suggest she ditch her bf in favour of a more local one, but that probably wouldn't go down well...

Ofcom apparently did some tests and published a map, but it's completely useless!
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by thewinelake)
The University uses O2, which may or may not be a recommendation!
Claree
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
So DD has been whingeing about not getting a good mobile signal in all the parts of Cambridge she tends to visit.

I was wondering if the panel have any comparative experiences of different networks around town?

She's on Three, and while it's OK at Christs, it's ropey at Queens'. I suppose I could suggest she ditch her bf in favour of a more local one, but that probably wouldn't go down well...

Ofcom apparently did some tests and published a map, but it's completely useless!
I've also found Three to have poor signal in/around Sidwick site and generally westwards of the town centre.

My department has no signal for any mobile network due to giant electromagnets!

I've tried a Vodafone sim in my room when I need to make a phone call from there (as I had no Three signal) and that has been ok.

Not tried any other networks, but am also interested to know what's best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thewinelake
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
The University uses O2, which may or may not be a recommendation!
Mmm. What do you mean by “The University”? Is that staff phones of the administration?
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Three is notoriously terrible - at one stage they couldn't actually get Three signal inside the Three store in Cambridge... I've used both O2 and Vodafone and have had no issues at all with either of them. Both had strong 4G coverage across the whole town.
Claree
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Parliament)
Three is notoriously terrible - at one stage they couldn't actually get Three signal inside the Three store in Cambridge... I've used both O2 and Vodafone and have had no issues at all with either of them. Both had strong 4G coverage across the whole town.
Haha I was really surprised by how bad Three signal was in Cambridge, as at home I had great 4G signal everywhere with Three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mmm. What do you mean by “The University”? Is that staff phones of the administration?
Staff phones of everyone I think. The Colleges may have their own arrangements, but the administration/Schools etc have a contract with O2.
thewinelake
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Staff phones of everyone I think. The Colleges may have their own arrangements, but the administration/Schools etc have a contract with O2.
I guess that at the very least puts a certain amount of pressure on O2 to maintain a good service. If they don't, then they could be in danger of losing what must be a very lucrative contract.

I quite like GiffGaff (who sit on the O2 network) so that might be worth a try, thanks.

Also wondering if this isn't something that a body like CUSU could do for its members (rather than whingeing about Tompkins tables!)
asdfghjklcupcake
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I guess that at the very least puts a certain amount of pressure on O2 to maintain a good service. If they don't, then they could be in danger of losing what must be a very lucrative contract.

I quite like GiffGaff (who sit on the O2 network) so that might be worth a try, thanks.

Also wondering if this isn't something that a body like CUSU could do for its members (rather than whingeing about Tompkins tables!)
GiffGaff works great in Cambridge and their offers are pretty cheap. Your daughter will probably receive 3-4 giffgaff sim cards in Freshers' Week
thewinelake
Rep:
?
Also Tesco might be worth a look, as GiffGaff aren't so good when it comes to lots of data.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
DC1 is moving from Three to VOXI by Vodafone. 6Gb plus unlimited social meja for a tenner.

You have to be under 30yo. :shakecane:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.11%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.48%

Watched Threads