The Student Room Group

im stressed gp advice

so i need to see a gp regarding my physical and mental health. i dont want to involve my parents. im 16. idk what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
so i need to see a gp regarding my physical and mental health. i dont want to involve my parents. im 16. idk what to do.

You phone the GP surgery and make an appointment, it's not difficult. Your parents wouldn't become involved because you're 16, not 6.
Reply 2
i want to go to a new surgery. wont i have to register there. how does it work. it may sound like its nothing to u but when u have anxiety, never leave the house and irritating parents it doesnt help in any way.
Reply 3
how do i register to a new surgery and how does it work?
Reply 4
im really worried cos im sixth form is about to start and i havent got my life sorted out. my only hope now is to have a year break to focus on my wellbeing and do alevels after next year
i want to go to a new surgery. wont i have to register there. how does it work. it may sound like its nothing to u but when u have anxiety, never leave the house and irritating parents it doesnt help in any way.

Unless you've moved a fair distance away from your current surgery you can't choose to register at another one. That's not how the NHS works, you get given a GP surgery based on where you live. If it wasn't like that you might get 9000 people trying to register at one surgery and only 1000 at another one when each surgery can only take on 5000 patients.
The doctors may ask if you want your parents involved but if you say no, they will respect your autonomy.
Reply 7
okay so i have an appointment tomorrow with a gp but my mum made it and i cant open up fully. so what do u suggest. when i go there tommorow should i write down the name of the surgery and look up its website and phone number. also can i choose what gp cos the one im seeing one is not very helpful
okay so i have an appointment tomorrow with a gp but my mum made it and i cant open up fully. so what do u suggest. when i go there tommorow should i write down the name of the surgery and look up its website and phone number. also can i choose what gp cos the one im seeing one is not very helpful

Unless your mum is going to the appointment with you there's no reason why you can't open up fully. They're not allowed to tell her anything it all, it doesn't matter that she made the appointment. You can't usually choose the GP you see or like I said before most people would be doing it. Unless a particular GP has been incredibly rude to you or mistreated you then you're usually stuck with them.
Jeez, what surgeries do you use? I can change surgeries anytime I like and ask for whoever I like.
Original post by random_matt
Jeez, what surgeries do you use? I can change surgeries anytime I like and ask for whoever I like.

It's not as easy as that in London where the population is so huge. It may be easier in smaller localities or rural areas, but most cities are like this.
(edited 5 years ago)
okay im planning on saying im going on a bike ride as the excuse to my parents. im going to try and register to a new gp. if i cant i will phone up my current surgery and plead if i can see another gp.
Original post by Glassapple
Unless your mum is going to the appointment with you there's no reason why you can't open up fully. They're not allowed to tell her anything it all, it doesn't matter that she made the appointment. You can't usually choose the GP you see or like I said before most people would be doing it. Unless a particular GP has been incredibly rude to you or mistreated you then you're usually stuck with them.

Leading on with this, even with your mum there, you have every right to ask her to wait in the waiting room, and say that you aren't comfortable with having her in there. Your GP will not tell her anything if you do not allow it, as that violates patient confidentiality.
Original post by random_matt

yes this the answer i was hoping for. how do u register to a new surgery and how does it work. answer in detail
Original post by Glassapple
Unless you've moved a fair distance away from your current surgery you can't choose to register at another one. That's not how the NHS works, you get given a GP surgery based on where you live. If it wasn't like that you might get 9000 people trying to register at one surgery and only 1000 at another one when each surgery can only take on 5000 patients.

Not strictly true. If there's more than one surgery in the area then it's up to you which one you register at. My family were registered at one in our area and moved to another within the same area without any issues.

Even if we overlook that fact, there's no need for OP to move surgeries anyway. Once you're a teenager, you can request that any details of your appointment or treatment be kept confidential and the information not accessible by your parents.
yes this the answer i was hoping for. how do u register to a new surgery and how does it work. answer in detail

Slow down, excuse my ignorance, glassapple may well be right. I live in a smallish town, where we have two surgeries and several others in surrounding villages. I can go to any and just apply and ask for specific doctors if I want to, no idea where you live.
my current gp is an inconsiderate d*ckhead. so even if my mum waits outside that c*** will be of no use or help to me. plus the first time i went in i kind he made me feel even worse when i left and just a made a fool out of myself
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Not strictly true. If there's more than one surgery in the area then it's up to you which one you register at. My family were registered at one in our area and moved to another within the same area without any issues.

Even if we overlook that fact, there's no need for OP to move surgeries anyway. Once you're a teenager, you can request that any details of your appointment or treatment be kept confidential and the information not accessible by your parents.

can u register to a new surgery at 16? how do i do it like do i have to directly to the surgery to do it?
can u register to a new surgery at 16? how do i do it like do i have to directly to the surgery to do it?

Yes and yes.

Quick Reply

Latest