The Student Room Group

What's it like doing A-levels at college? (uk)

If anyone's doing a-levels at college, how is it? I want to do english and a media studies a-level in 2019, but i have no idea what to expect. what is college like?

i have a fear of not being able to find the classes i have to be in haha, is that a logical fear or...?

thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by user20031516
If anyone's doing a-levels at college, how is it? I want to do english and a media studies a-level in 2019, but i have no idea what to expect. what is college like?

i have a fear of not being able to find the classes i have to be in haha, is that a logical fear or...?

thank you in advance :smile:

I’m in the same boat as you but doing a BTEC. Try to worry as there will be lots of staff around at your college in the first few weeks to ensure that you know where you’re going, I’m sure that staff will be lenient about you being late if you get lost. Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll do fine! Hope all goes well for you🙂
Original post by pm2002
I’m in the same boat as you but doing a BTEC. Try to worry as there will be lots of staff around at your college in the first few weeks to ensure that you know where you’re going, I’m sure that staff will be lenient about you being late if you get lost. Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll do fine! Hope all goes well for you🙂

Glad to know I'm not alone! True true - thank you loads, that means a lot to hear. I hope everything goes good for you too, if you're yet to start like me :biggrin:
Reply 3
Glad to know I'm not alone! True true - thank you loads, that means a lot to hear. I hope everything goes good for you too, if you're yet to start like me :biggrin:

Yep, I’m yet to start like you, I enrol next Friday and I’m bricking it for the the end of next week!!
Reply 4
Not knowing where the classes are could be a problem for maybe, like, the first day and that's it. Chances are you'll have a timetable that will tell you where to go and when and you'll maybe have been shown around the school before.

Basically you arrive in the morning, you have timetabled lessons but with empty study periods at certain times in which it's entirely up to you how you spend that time. Most schools/6th form colleges will have a common room where you can relax or work when you don't have a lesson.

By the way, are you only doing two A-levels? People usually do three...
Original post by Sinnoh
Not knowing where the classes are could be a problem for maybe, like, the first day and that's it. Chances are you'll have a timetable that will tell you where to go and when and you'll maybe have been shown around the school before.

Basically you arrive in the morning, you have timetabled lessons but with empty study periods at certain times in which it's entirely up to you how you spend that time. Most schools/6th form colleges will have a common room where you can relax or work when you don't have a lesson.

By the way, are you only doing two A-levels? People usually do three...

Thank you for that info - and good to know about the timetable, that'll make it way easier for sure.

And I'm yet to decide, I definitely want to do those two but haven't chosen a third yet.
Original post by pm2002
Yep, I’m yet to start like you, I enrol next Friday and I’m bricking it for the the end of next week!!

Agh exciting, but scary too haha - best of luck, you'll be okay I promise! :smile:
Reply 7
Can i ask what college?
Reply 8
Agh exciting, but scary too haha - best of luck, you'll be okay I promise! :smile:

Thank you :-)
Reply 9
Hell. Stay away from A Level Biology.
Original post by Zasty
Can i ask what college?

Would rather not say, sorry :smile: I know all colleges are different tho, just asking for a general overview of what it's like ect.
Original post by iseesparksfly
Hell. Stay away from A Level Biology.

Planning to - science is the worst imo, would rather do further maths or put sand in my eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest