ShafkatWahid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, guys. I'm a student from Bangladesh, and I'm currently in the 12th grade. I'll be applying to universities at the end of this year, and will sit for my A2 exams next year. LSE will be one of the universities that I'll apply to. I'll apply for BSc Economics, and I'd like to know what is my chance of getting accepted.
My O level(GCE) results:
1. Maths D-99%
2. Ads. Maths-97%
3. Economics-99%(Top in the World)
4. Physics-97%
5. Chemistry-93%
6. Biology-96%
7. English-94%
8. Bengali-92%
I also got the "Best across 8 O level subjects in Bangladesh-1st Place" award.
AS grades
1. Mathematics(P1+M1)-100%
2. Economics-97%
3. Physics-96%
4. Chemistry-94%

I have a fairly good list of ECA's: Debate(Novice Semi-finalists in Asian Schools Debating Championship), President ot School club about Entrepreneurship and Economics, Co-Founder and Senior Editor of Economics of School Magazine Club, Co-Founder & President of Community Service Club, Founder and CEO of my own organization, Spark, which promotes tech entrepreneurship and is working on a crowdfunding platform for entrepreneurs in Bangladesh. Also, got silver medal in novice category of International Young Mathematicians' Convention(IYMC) in India.
Expecting all A*'s as predicted grades, hopefully, and hope to o receive a good recommendation letter.
Also, please note that I do not hav Further Mathematics as an A level subject. Further Mathematics is not mandatory, but is "recommended" for BSc Economics, I believe.
Considering all these facts, what is my chance of getting accepted in LSE, BSc Economics.
Thanks in advance!
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ShafkatWahid)
Hi, guys. I'm a student from Bangladesh, and I'm currently in the 12th grade. I'll be applying to universities at the end of this year, and will sit for my A2 exams next year. LSE will be one of the universities that I'll apply to. I'll apply for BSc Economics, and I'd like to know what is my chance of getting accepted.
My O level(GCE) results:
1. Maths D-99%
2. Ads. Maths-97%
4. Physics-97%
5. Chemistry-93%
6. Biology-96%
7. English-94%
8. Bengali-92%
AS grades
2. Economics-97%
3. Physics-96%
4. Chemistry-94%

I have a fairly good list of ECA's: Debate(Novice Semi-finalists in Asian Schools Debating Championship), President ot School club about Entrepreneurship and Economics, Co-Founder and Senior Editor of Economics of School Magazine Club, Co-Founder & President of Community Service Club, Founder and CEO of my own organization, Spark, which promotes tech entrepreneurship and is working on a crowdfunding platform for entrepreneurs in Bangladesh. Also, got silver medal in novice category of International Young Mathematicians' Convention(IYMC) in India.
Expecting all A*'s as predicted grades, hopefully, and hope to o receive a good recommendation letter.
Also, please note that I do not hav Further Mathematics as an A level subject. Further Mathematics is not mandatory, but is "recommended" for BSc Economics, I believe.
Considering all these facts, what is my chance of getting accepted in LSE, BSc Economics.
Thanks in advance!
Moved this to LSE forum
ShafkatWahid
Rep:
?
Thanks!
JamjamjamT
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My O level(GCE) results:
1. Maths D-99%
2. Ads. Maths-97%
4. Physics-97%
5. Chemistry-93%
6. Biology-96%
7. English-94%
8. Bengali-92%
AS grades
2. Economics-97%
3. Physics-96%
4. Chemistry-94%

Thanks in advance!
Nobody can tell you with any honesty what your chance of getting into LSE is because nobody knows. They may say that you have a good chance but that good chance also applies to countless other applicants who will have a similar academic profile.
My advice would be to get the best possible results you can and write the most unique personal statement that shows your passion for your chosen subject and why you want to go to the LSE.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only way to find out is apply.

What i did in my ps statement for my dream university was integrate portions of the course website into my personal statement. It worked. Got rejected by lesser unis and accepted by my target.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My O level(GCE) results:
1. Maths D-99%
2. Ads. Maths-97%
4. Physics-97%
5. Chemistry-93%
6. Biology-96%
7. English-94%
8. Bengali-92%
AS grades
2. Economics-97%
3. Physics-96%
4. Chemistry-94%

Thanks in advance!
75% of offers were made to candidates with Further Maths in their A levels based on previous years so you'd automatically be at a disadvantaged.
Your O Levels look rather great. 4A*s predictions will place you right at the top of the candidates without Further Maths.
You do have a lot of ECA which you got to incorporate into your PS. I'm applying for BSc Accounting and Finance in September with LSE being my #1 choice.
I think it will come down to the personal statement. Your PS does have a lot of potential, purely bc you did a lot of ECA and have a lot of things to reflect upon.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 90
Size:  83.7 KB
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1177496

Reference for number of people doing FM and getting an LSE BSc Economics offer.
ShafkatWahid
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for the input, guys. Would it be a better idea for me to apply for BSc Accounting and Finance, since FM isn't recommended for that?
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much for the input, guys. Would it be a better idea for me to apply for BSc Accounting and Finance, since FM isn't recommended for that?
I reckon a lot of people will have FM for Accounting and Finance, as A&F is arguably the second more prestigious course at LSE (in terms of getting into banking/Investment Banking). They dont say it's 'recommended' but I expect a lot of successful candidates to have it. I'll be getting a 7 in HL predicted for my IB which is seen as A* in FM, and I expect a lot of people to have that or an A in it.

Since for Economics, 75% offers go to people with FM, A&F will probably be 50-60% offers for people with FM/HL maths at IB.

Again, PS will be the deciding factor.
ShafkatWahid
Rep:
?
Thanks! I know this is out of the topic in question here, but is BSc Economics a good program if I want to get into investment banking?(Provided that I don't apply for A&F)
cody9898
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! I know this is out of the topic in question here, but is BSc Economics a good program if I want to get into investment banking?(Provided that I don't apply for A&F)
While Economics is good for banking, if you want to go into investment banking, you would be much better off applying to A&F, especially since your chances of getting into A&F are probably better.
ShafkatWahid
Rep:
?
Thank you all so much for your advice!
mmateusz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
I reckon a lot of people will have FM for Accounting and Finance, as A&F is arguably the second more prestigious course at LSE (in terms of getting into banking/Investment Banking). They dont say it's 'recommended' but I expect a lot of successful candidates to have it. I'll be getting a 7 in HL predicted for my IB which is seen as A* in FM, and I expect a lot of people to have that or an A in it.

Since for Economics, 75% offers go to people with FM, A&F will probably be 50-60% offers for people with FM/HL maths at IB.

Again, PS will be the deciding factor.
I applied for A&F, got a 5 in HL maths, and after putting me as marginally failed, they accepted me . I think with this course it mostly comes down to ur PS once u have 38+ points
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you look up an article with statistics posted by Efinancecareers, around ~40% of all Investment banking offers goes to pure Economics students and 30-35% of offers for IB goes to A&F students.

I personally want to enter IB, although it is extremely competitive, and I believe A&F gives me the edge, as I would be working as a junior analyst with the Financial statements and excel, etc which is what will be done in the A&F course too.

The pure Economics doesnt teach you about the accounting and finance and although a economics student could choose a selective in A&F at LSE, it's not the same.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mmateusz)
I applied for A&F, got a 5 in HL maths, and after putting me as marginally failed, they accepted me . I think with this course it mostly comes down to ur PS once u have 38+ points
You mean you got a 5 HL predicted or you received a final grade of 5 and still got an unconditional offer after results day?

What were your predictions? Which HLs? When did you apply? When did you receive your offer?
mmateusz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
You mean you got a 5 HL predicted or you received a final grade of 5 and still got an unconditional offer after results day?

What were your predictions? Which HLs? When did you apply? When did you receive your offer?
I had 43 points predicted - 776 in HL Econ Geo Maths respectively, in the end got 40, 775 at HLs with an A in EE in economics and A in TOK
Applied early October, received an offer mid March.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads