WARNING! Swansea don’t want to know if things go wrong

Watch
Samg5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Big warning to anyone considering American Studies at Swansea. If you get in a panic or have a bad day on 1st yr exams there is ZERO help, ZERO pastoral care, and ZERO recourse. You will be left with a £9k bill and no way back. They don’t want to know.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samg5)
Big warning to anyone considering American Studies at Swansea. If you get in a panic or have a bad day on 1st yr exams there is ZERO help, ZERO pastoral care, and ZERO recourse. You will be left with a £9k bill and no way back. They don’t want to know.
Have they withdrawn you? You can always make a complaint if you feel they have treated you unfairly.

If you have a bad day then you put in an extenuating circumstances claim at most unis and if you had good evidence it was something medical they can consider it.

You most likely still have finance to o to another uni.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Without knowing any of the circumstances this is just a whinge which is almost certainly wholly unjustified.
Samg5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Without knowing any of the circumstances this is just a whinge which is almost certainly wholly unjustified.
Yes it is a whinge, but justifiably so. I may not be been a model student, but attended lectures and studied. When I reached out for help, albeit late in the day, there was none proffered. I panicked and flunked a core module exam. No interest from Swansea in helping me find a way back. I have been withdrawn. 9k and a year of my life wasted at Swansea.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Accept the consequences of actions, a nice life lesson kid.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samg5)
Yes it is a whinge, but justifiably so. I may not be been a model student, but attended lectures and studied. When I reached out for help, albeit late in the day, there was none proffered. I panicked and flunked a core module exam. No interest from Swansea in helping me find a way back. I have been withdrawn. 9k and a year of my life wasted at Swansea.
[/font]
You had no resit chance?

Have you made a complaint or an appeal?

What help did you need? Did you have extenuating circumstances?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samg5)
When I reached out for help, albeit late in the day, there was none proffered. ...

We don't know anything about the circumstances so it is a whinge. We are only hearing one side of the story here.

I am sorry to hear about it and you can always appeal if you think you are right and you are likely to win.
Samg5
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Accept the consequences of actions, a nice life lesson kid.
Just want others to know about the ‘caring’ attitude at Swansea. I guess you’ll fit right in.
Frankston
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From my 4 years at the university I've found them to be very lenient with students who have messed up and I personally know several people who have had to do multiple exam resits and repeat years. I find it very hard to believe they would kick you out of the university for messing up in one exam without even giving you a chance of a resit and suspect there's more to the story than what you've told us.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samg5)
Yes it is a whinge, but justifiably so.
You might feel that, but you haven't given us enough information to justify or explain why.

(Original post by Samg5)
I may not be been a model student, but attended lectures and studied.
What do you mean about not being a model student? Did you keep up with the work during the year? Hand in assignments on time?

(Original post by Samg5)
When I reached out for help, albeit late in the day, there was none proffered.
We don't know your circumstances, so we don't know what happened. What was going on, who did you contact, when, what did you explain, what help were you looking for? You obviously don't have to answer any of this, but it's central to your post.

(Original post by Samg5)
I panicked and flunked a core module exam.
How does this tie in with reaching out for help? Did you fail one exam or more? Was it related to a medical condition? Was it diagnosed in advance?

(Original post by Samg5)
No interest from Swansea in helping me find a way back.
From what I've seen universities will bend over backwards to accommodate individuals who need support. Are you physically and mentally able to study? If it relates to something medical, was it adequately explained to the uni?

(Original post by Samg5)
I have been withdrawn.
Universities have very strict processes and procedures for withdrawing someone. On what grounds did they withdraw you? if you think you've been unfairly treated have you gone through the various complaints and appeals processes? Got advice from the Student Union? Got legal advice?

(Original post by Samg5)
9k and a year of my life wasted at Swansea.
Depends on the answers to the questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%