Wanting to study Agriculture but have no knowledge or experience!! Watch

Bates202
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I grew up on a farm until the age of 10 and as a young girl always wanted to study agriculture, however once I moved away farming was no longer a part of my life and I kind of just forgot about it. After joining my local young farmers club a couple years ago I’ve decided that farming and working with animals is what I want to do, but now I have no experience or knowledge! What do I need to know about? Really want to apply for Harper Adams!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moving to the uni courses forum, where you're more likely to get a reply
Bates202
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I grew up on a farm until the age of 10 and as a young girl always wanted to study agriculture, however once I moved away farming was no longer a part of my life and I kind of just forgot about it. After joining my local young farmers club a couple years ago I’ve decided that farming and working with animals is what I want to do, but now I have no experience or knowledge! What do I need to know about? Really want to apply for Harper Adams!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bates202)
If you grew up on a farm and are part of a farmers club I doubt you have no experience or knowledge! Sit down and have a think about what you know have done and enjoy and go from there. Read around the topics that will be covered by your courses of interest.
Sakurastudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bates202)
Hi Bates202, I applied to study Agriculture at the University of Nottingham and after receiving my grades this morning, have been accepted. I understand the struggle associated with applying to a course like this as the course isn't a popular one, so information and advice is little. The best advice I could offer, from personal experience, is getting as much volunteer work as possible. Visit as many different types of farms as you can: Cattle, Sheep, Poultry, Pig, not forgetting work on an equine livery yard perhaps? In addition to this, take a look at the A-levels you are studying to see whether you find you enjoy the academic side or vocational side more interesting. This should help you to make a decision on which university is better suited to yourself- One which focuses more on textbook information or one which offers a more vocational side to the course. Finally, a degree in Agriculture could end up in a number of careers, so don't stress about that either, it is still a BSc at the end of the day and the skills and knowledge you would acquire by undertaking this course would be similar to other biological science courses. Like Alleycat393 said, look at the modules the different universities offer to better understand the type of course they are running.

Hope this has helped a bit and good luck!!
debs94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!
I was in a similar situation as you. I’ve always wanted to farm but never had any experience of it. I grew up in the countryside but that’s about as close to farming as I got. As I’ve got older I’ve wanted more and more to move towards a farming career. Living near to Preston I went to Myerscough College and had a look at what I could do. Fast forward to today they’ve accepted me on a level 3 Agriculture course and I start September! Until I start I’ve learnt how to milk cows and some general farm work at my local dairy farm and I’m absolutely loving it! Don’t let the fact you have no experience hold you back like it did me for so long, it honestly doesn’t matter!
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (15)
7.89%
They've been reasonable (78)
41.05%
Not feeling great... (50)
26.32%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)