The Student Room Group

Is it okay to change courses

I am currently doing Level Chemistry, Biology and English Literature and am about to go into my second year.
Ultimately I would like to become a paramedic. For a while now I have been considering changing courses due to difficulty and stress.
People keep saying I am too clever to take a diploma in medical science but this is what I would like to change to.
I recon I could do the alevels but this year was a major roller coaster with emotions and I fear that if I continue with what I'm doing, I could make myself really ill.
However I don't want to regret changing my course and feel like a failure. Im scared I may regret the change and think "what if" or "I could have done that".
I've always aimed high, but this time I'm not sure I really want to when it can take me to the same destination in life and I will get a bit more free time so can have a part time job on the side. It will mean staying an extra year but I am in no rush anyway.
What do you think I should do? Is it okay to change? Shall I just complete my final year?
Why not just drop English literature? Two good (hard) sciences is fine for the academic requirements of a paramedic science degree course.
Reply 2
I'd imagine you're wanting to aim for a Paramedic Science degree. Your A levels are great and will put you in a good position when applying as they do ask for a science with preference on Biology.

If you think it's getting stressful, perhaps spend an extra year in college by resitting the year or switching an A level (although keep Biology) - be careful with this however as universities such as St George's do ask you complete the A levels in 2 years, but for most this is not the case.

Don't stress yourself out, have a look at the other qualifications they accept and the grades you need and consider them, even if it's once you've finished college. There's still some funding available. Don't worry about what people think you're more/less capable of, do what's in your best interest to graduate with a Paramedic Science degree and subsequently, HCPC registration, as that's what really matters if you want to practice as a paramedic, not peoples speculations.

You'd find there's a lot of mature students on a Paramedic Science degree so there's no need to feel you're falling behind if you don't go straight to university - there really is no rush. Any voluntary/paid work experience in a care environment to help yourself establish your understanding, desire and true intentions for pursuing paramedicine will help and will certainly give you things to talk about in the interview, but anything you can make relevant to the role is great too, so taking some time out for this may be useful. Likewise with things like gaining a full UK driving license if you don't yet have one (another requirement, although some ask for it by X date after commencing on the degree) and getting your C1 provisional license.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Telomere
Why not just drop English literature? Two good (hard) sciences is fine for the academic requirements of a paramedic science degree course.

Although somewhat true, even two A*'s will yield 112 UCAS points, with most unis asking for at least this, so it could be unrealistic.
Original post by 8radley
Although somewhat true, even two A*'s will yield 112 UCAS points, with most unis asking for at least this, so it could be unrealistic.

Could well be - I was thinking 120 tariff points from 2 A levels and an AS from the dropped A-level. Depends on the unis desired and the predicted grades and anything else going on that I the bag or ongoing that might add to the tariff score.
Reply 5
Could well be - I was thinking 120 tariff points from 2 A levels and an AS from the dropped A-level. Depends on the unis desired and the predicted grades and anything else going on that I the bag or ongoing that might add to the tariff score.

True, although most unis do not accept AS tariff points as part of the offer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 8radley
Potentially, although most unis do not accept AS tariff points as part of the requirements.

For Paramedic Science? Edge Hill does, as do UCLAN, BCU, & Bournemouth.

LJMU and Anglia Ruskin won't but they will take 112 points from 2 A-levels.
Reply 7
For Paramedic Science? Edge Hill does, as do UCLAN, BCU, & Bournemouth.

LJMU and Anglia Ruskin won't but they will take 112 points from 2 A-levels.

I can name about 10 universities off the top of my head who either state they don't accept AS points or whom don't state specifically, but do not accept them anyway when I've contacted them personally when I was in year 12 as I had the same question. You'd find a lot of unis don't or don't state whether they do as, due to the reforms, it's becoming less suggested and less common to wind up with AS levels in any subject, and this is evident in unis requirements in general.

If OP is going to drop one (that's even if their college allows for part time students assuming another AS or other course isn't picked up) and end up with 2 A levels and the AS and don't reach the minimum points, of course getting an offer is not entirely impossible, as there's so many more factors to consider (as aforementioned) so potentially some flexibility depending on the uni, but I would recommend taking a foundation year if that were the case. A FdSc in Paramedic Science is becoming scarce due to recent changes to the HCPC's threshold in favour for minimum degree level (6 on the qualification framework) for registration.

@OP, ultimately it's best you look at published entry requirements and ask around a few unis for further details, e.g, acceptance of AS points. The important thing is to make a plan and be sure in your path. All the best.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest