MY Story Of A Terrible A Level Results Day - And How It Wasn’t The End Of The World! Watch

Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey Guys;

Just thought I’d put this story out there on how things went absolutely appallingly for me and how it all worked out in the end!

Guys, I finished my A-Levels (after a second attempt at As) back in 2013, so essentially I spent 3 years at A Level!

Anyway, honestly A-Levels were the hardest thing I had EVER done and still have (and I just got my degree...) and after sitting my exams back in 2013, especially the Edexcel Maths Papers for C3, check the papers for that exam paper... anyway, trust me if it worked out for me, it can work out for you!

So, I walk into my Sixth Form, thinking “Oh **** Oh **** Oh ****” near enough beside myself thinking it is the end of the world and my uni career was completely over!

So, let me fill you in on what happened BEFORE I started to make my way into sixth form.
I first wake up and eat breakfast normally before being reminded by my parents to check UCAS to see if any of my offers got accepted, so, after near enough choking on the though I reluctantly agree to do it. I log in to UCAS and guess what, 2 flat out straight rejections!

So, I remember this clear as day this section, me bawling my eyes out and my parents having to comfort me in every possible way. But, then came the hard part, going to get my A-Levels... to see WHY they all said no! Anyway, after a short 10 minute drive (what seemed like an eternity...) I get the the gates and walk up to the reception area to get my big brown envelope with my grades transcript in it... After waiting in anticipation, I slowly get the courage to open my envelope with my name on it and my form (13U, the irony was unbelievable...) and I got the following marks...

Maths - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

I **** myself and had to make my way to the toilets to stop myself crying.

Anyway, I then get on my phone and start frantically calling EVERY uni with hopes I could make it onto a Foundation course of some kind which would give me SOME kind of shot, I’d quite literally take anything. I then find UWE’s foundation Science route and I give them a call. I ask if they have any spaces left on their course after noticing all you needed was an A Level in Biology at grade D or above to get on.

I took the place AS SOON as they offered it to me. This was me thinking, great, did I just sign up to something which is a whole lot harder than A Levels which I just spectacularly crashed and burned in... possibly. Anyway, that year I started my first university course, FOUNDATION SCIENCE.

Guys, it was the best thing I had EVER done. At the time I didn’t realise it but I met someone who I now consider the best person I could have ever met, EVER. I just didn’t know it at the time because we never spoke in that year except maybe 5 times, but, that’s another story for another time. Anyway, I got a 2:1 at the end of the year and choose to do the OFFICIAL degree “Biomedical Science” - I FINALLY DID IT!

Anyway, aside from all the trials and tribulations (and trust me, in second year, 1/3 of the course failed a certain exam and luckily for me, I was NOT one of them), there were a lot of them... uni isn't easy socially or intellectually I promise you this I pulled through.

Anyway, here I stand now. I graduated on the 26th of July with my honours degree in Biomedical Science with a 2:1!
Yes, I know it took me going down the Foundation Route to do it but, honestly, best decision of my life!

Now, I am about to do something I’ve wanted to do AND received an unconditional offer to do so after completing a SKE as one of the conditional entry requirements. My PGCE year because honestly, I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and now, I’ve been given that shot.

Right guys, ironically I am a teacher after essentially completely messing everything up back at sixth form...

It isn’t the end of the world should things go badly guys, I promise. It is just the beginning. Keep looking forward and you’ll get what you want eventually I promise you lot!

Long story short;
Bad A Level grades, pulled through with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science from UWE and about to start my PGCE at another Uni!

EDIT:
Guys, I did type the whole thing on my phone, so if there are any slight issues, grammar or spelling wise, that's why.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
If a moderator wouldn't mind correcting the typo in the title, that would be great. =)
Thanks!
jeanettecharm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really think I needed to read this, so thank you. I'm so worried I won't meet my offer of 4As and a B (yes, I took 5 Alevels) . But I think, even if I don't get these grades or even the grades I worked so tediously for, I'm going to keep an open mind. And if you're reading this, I hope you do too
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is quite inspiring

Congratulations on graduating. Hope everything goes well
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Hey Guys;

Just thought I’d put this story out there on how things went absolutely appallingly for me and how it all worked out in the end!

Guys, I finished my A-Levels (after a second attempt at As) back in 2013, so essentially I spent 3 years at A Level!

Anyway, honestly A-Levels were the hardest thing I had EVER done and still have (and I just got my degree...) and after sitting my exams back in 2013, especially the Edexcel Maths Papers for C3, check the papers for that exam paper... anyway, trust me if it worked out for me, it can work out for you!

So, I walk into my Sixth Form, thinking “Oh **** Oh **** Oh ****” near enough beside myself thinking it is the end of the world and my uni career was completely over!

So, let me fill you in on what happened BEFORE I started to make my way into sixth form.
I first wake up and eat breakfast normally before being reminded by my parents to check UCAS to see if any of my offers got accepted, so, after near enough choking on the though I reluctantly agree to do it. I log in to UCAS and guess what, 3 flat out straight rejections!

So, I remember this clear as day this section, me bawling my eyes out and my parents having to comfort me in every possible way. But, then came the hard part, going to get my A-Levels... to see WHY they all said no! Anyway, after a short 10 minute drive (what seemed like an eternity...) I get the the gates and walk up to the reception area to get my big brown envelope with my grades transcript in it... After waiting in anticipation, I slowly get the courage to open my envelope with my name on it and my form (13U, the irony was unbelievable...) and I got the following marks...

Maths - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

Anyway, I then get on my phone and start frantically calling EVERY uni with hopes I could make it onto a Foundation course of some kind which would give me SOME kind of shot, I’d quite literally take anything. I then find UWE’s foundation Science route and I give them a call. I ask if they have any spaces left on their course after noticing all you needed was an A Level in Biology at grade D or above to get on.

I took the place AS SOON as they offered it to me. This was me thinking, great, did I just sign up to something which is a whole lot harder than A Levels which I just spectacularly crashed and burned in... possibly. Anyway, that year I started my first university course, FOUNDATION SCIENCE.

Guys, it was the best thing I had EVER done. At the time I didn’t realise it but I met someone who I now consider the best person I could have ever met, EVER. I just didn’t know it at the time because we never spoke in that year except maybe 5 times, but, that’s another story for another time. Anyway, I got a 2:1 at the end of the year and choose to do the OFFICIAL degree “Biomedical Science” - I FINALLY DID IT!

Anyway, aside from all the trials and tribulations (and trust me, in second year, 1/3 of the course failed a certain exam and luckily for me, I was NOT one of them), there were a lot of them... uni isn't easy socially or intellectually I promise you this I pulled through.

Anyway, here I stand now. I graduated on the 26th of July with my honours degree in Biomedical Science with a 2:1!
Yes, I know it took me going down the Foundation Route to do it but, honestly, best decision of my life!

Now, I am about to do something I’ve wanted to do AND received an unconditional offer to do so after completing a SKE as one of the conditional entry requirements. My PGCE year because honestly, I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and now, I’ve been given that shot.

Right guys, ironically I am a teacher after essentially completely messing everything up back at sixth form...

It isn’t the end of the world should things go badly guys, I promise. It is just the beginning. Keep looking forward and you’ll get what you want eventually I promise you lot!

Long story short;
Bad A Level grades, pulled through with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science and about to start my PGCE!

EDIT:
Guys, I did type the whole thing on my phone, so if there are any slight issues, grammar or spelling wise, that's why.
You are an inspiration. Tell this story to your students.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If a moderator wouldn't mind correcting the typo in the title, that would be great. =)
Thanks!
Fixed :yay: And thank you for sharing this :hugs:
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Just thought I'd bring this up a little to show people if I can do it, anyone can. =)
CrazyKittenLady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Guys;

I first wake up and eat breakfast normally before being reminded by my parents to check UCAS to see if any of my offers got accepted, so, after near enough choking on the though I reluctantly agree to do it. I log in to UCAS and guess what, 3 flat out straight rejections!

Maths - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

Long story short;
Bad A Level grades, pulled through with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science from UWE and about to start my PGCE at another Uni!

EDIT:
Your amazing thank you for sharing your story!!! X
ahhhhhhhh1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Failing my A-levels was the best thing that happened to me. If I didn't fail I would've never learned how to properly study and work on my organisation skills to get me where I wanted to be now. You don't truly ever fail until you stop trying, failing is an amazing learning experience and you will learn more from a hard fall than any achievement.
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great success brah!

Repped.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
You are an inspiration. Tell this story to your students.
I don't know if that's exactly wise.
I don't think parents want their kids taught by someone who near enough failed their A levels in their entirety...
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Any questions guys?
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Just bringing this up to the top again to show people, it isn't the end. =)
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Guys;

Maths - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

Long story short;

EDIT:

I very wise person told me regarding teaching and teachers without perfect grades. That they would always give merit to someone who applies to a job in teaching if they are honest in showing their struggles and overcoming them and often pick them over a candidate with straight A's and a 1st. Purely because you know yourself what it is like to struggle at school and would be able to emhasise with the students more.
fairplaytoyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I love this story and mine is really quite similar.

I also did a foundation year, then transferred to a top 20 uni and now I’m going into my final year expecting to (somewhat) comfortably get a first.

I also agree that without doing awful at A-Levels, I might’ve never realised the actual meaning of hard work and I also would’ve continued with the same learning strategy and mentality that I always have had which was to just do what’s sufficient and nothing more, whereas at uni I participate in over 20 extracurricular activities and constantly want to be better! It’s strange how sometimes doing badly really sets you up for success
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
I very wise person told me regarding teaching and teachers without perfect grades. That they would always give merit to someone who applies to a job in teaching if they are honest in showing their struggles and overcoming them and often pick them over a candidate with straight A's and a 1st. Purely because you know yourself what it is like to struggle at school and would be able to emhasise with the students more.
(Original post by fairplaytoyou)

I also did a foundation year, then transferred to a top 20 uni and now I’m going into my final year expecting to (somewhat) comfortably get a first.

I also agree that without doing awful at A-Levels, I might’ve never realised the actual meaning of hard work and I also would’ve continued with the same learning strategy and mentality that I always have had which was to just do what’s sufficient and nothing more, whereas at uni I participate in over 20 extracurricular activities and constantly want to be better! It’s strange how sometimes doing badly really sets you up for success
I believe there is a saying which says "There is more to be learned from defeat than victory".
This kind of applies tbh.
Astrainlinat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fairplaytoyou)

What university did you go to? I’m looking at taking a foundation year and transferring universities
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Astrainlinat)
What university did you go to? I’m looking at taking a foundation year and transferring universities
You may want to phone ahead and ask the universities you want to go to IF they'll accept a Foundation Degree from whichever place you are thinking of.
Astrainlinat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You may want to phone ahead and ask the universities you want to go to IF they'll accept a Foundation Degree from whichever place you are thinking of.
Will they take alevel results in consideration as well?
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Astrainlinat)
Will they take alevel results in consideration as well?
They probably will do but not to such an extent that they would have done without the Foundation Degree.

This is because IF the Foundation Degree lines up with what you are expected to know, it is treated as the EQUIVALENT to what they are asking for.

It also looks good on you because you are punctual with deadlines and are used to the university life as it will not be so hard hitting. Meaning you are likely to be taken more seriously because you know how to properly handle yourself as opposed to someone who has just left home for the first time and may drop out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.66%
Excited (147)
8.9%
Worried (300)
18.17%
Terrified (374)
22.65%
Meh (151)
9.15%
Confused (36)
2.18%