MY Story Of A Terrible A Level Results Day - And How It Wasn’t The End Of The World! Watch

Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey Guys;

Just thought I’d put this story out there on how things went absolutely appallingly for me and how it all worked out in the end!

Guys, I finished my A-Levels (after a second attempt at As) back in 2013, so essentially I spent 3 years at A Level!

Anyway, honestly A-Levels were the hardest thing I had EVER done and still have (and I just got my degree...) and after sitting my exams back in 2013, especially the Edexcel Maths Papers for C3, check the papers for that exam paper... anyway, trust me if it worked out for me, it can work out for you!

So, I walk into my Sixth Form, thinking “Oh **** Oh **** Oh ****” near enough beside myself thinking it is the end of the world and my uni career was completely over!

So, let me fill you in on what happened BEFORE I started to make my way into sixth form.
I first wake up and eat breakfast normally before being reminded by my parents to check UCAS to see if any of my offers got accepted, so, after near enough choking on the though I reluctantly agree to do it. I log in to UCAS and guess what, 2 flat out straight rejections!

So, I remember this clear as day this section, me bawling my eyes out and my parents having to comfort me in every possible way. But, then came the hard part, going to get my A-Levels... to see WHY they all said no! Anyway, after a short 10 minute drive (what seemed like an eternity...) I get the the gates and walk up to the reception area to get my big brown envelope with my grades transcript in it... After waiting in anticipation, I slowly get the courage to open my envelope with my name on it and my form (13U, the irony was unbelievable...) and I got the following marks...

Maths - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

I **** myself and had to make my way to the toilets to stop myself crying.

Anyway, I then get on my phone and start frantically calling EVERY uni with hopes I could make it onto a Foundation course of some kind which would give me SOME kind of shot, I’d quite literally take anything. I then find UWE’s foundation Science route and I give them a call. I ask if they have any spaces left on their course after noticing all you needed was an A Level in Biology at grade D or above to get on.

I took the place AS SOON as they offered it to me. This was me thinking, great, did I just sign up to something which is a whole lot harder than A Levels which I just spectacularly crashed and burned in... possibly. Anyway, that year I started my first university course, FOUNDATION SCIENCE.

Guys, it was the best thing I had EVER done. At the time I didn’t realise it but I met someone who I now consider the best person I could have ever met, EVER. I just didn’t know it at the time because we never spoke in that year except maybe 5 times, but, that’s another story for another time. Anyway, I got a 2:1 at the end of the year and choose to do the OFFICIAL degree “Biomedical Science” - I FINALLY DID IT!

Anyway, aside from all the trials and tribulations (and trust me, in second year, 1/3 of the course failed a certain exam and luckily for me, I was NOT one of them), there were a lot of them... uni isn't easy socially or intellectually I promise you this I pulled through.

Anyway, here I stand now. I graduated on the 26th of July with my honours degree in Biomedical Science with a 2:1!
Yes, I know it took me going down the Foundation Route to do it but, honestly, best decision of my life!

Now, I am about to do something I’ve wanted to do AND received an unconditional offer to do so after completing a SKE as one of the conditional entry requirements. My PGCE year because honestly, I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and now, I’ve been given that shot.

Right guys, ironically I am a teacher after essentially completely messing everything up back at sixth form...

It isn’t the end of the world should things go badly guys, I promise. It is just the beginning. Keep looking forward and you’ll get what you want eventually I promise you lot!

Long story short;
Bad A Level grades, pulled through with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science from UWE and about to start my PGCE at another Uni!

Guys, I did type the whole thing on my phone, so if there are any slight issues, grammar or spelling wise, that's why.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Guys, basically, if you REALLY want something, get on the phone for a clearing course immediately.
Takes an extra year, sure. But is so worth it!
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Hey Guys;

Just thought I’d put this story out there on how things went absolutely appallingly for me and how it all worked out in the end!

Guys, I finished my A-Levels (after a second attempt at As) back in 2013, so essentially I spent 3 years at A Level!

Anyway, honestly A-Levels were the hardest thing I had EVER done and still have (and I just got my degree...) and after sitting my exams back in 2013, especially the Edexcel Maths Papers for C3, check the papers for that exam paper... anyway, trust me if it worked out for me, it can work out for you!

So, I walk into my Sixth Form, thinking “Oh **** Oh **** Oh ****” near enough beside myself thinking it is the end of the world and my uni career was completely over!

So, let me fill you in on what happened BEFORE I started to make my way into sixth form.
I first wake up and eat breakfast normally before being reminded by my parents to check UCAS to see if any of my offers got accepted, so, after near enough choking on the though I reluctantly agree to do it. I log in to UCAS and guess what, 3 flat out straight rejections!

So, I remember this clear as day this section, me bawling my eyes out and my parents having to comfort me in every possible way. But, then came the hard part, going to get my A-Levels... to see WHY they all said no! Anyway, after a short 10 minute drive (what seemed like an eternity...) I get the the gates and walk up to the reception area to get my big brown envelope with my grades transcript in it... After waiting in anticipation, I slowly get the courage to open my envelope with my name on it and my form (13U, the irony was unbelievable...) and I got the following marks...

Maths - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

I **** myself and had to make my way to the toilets to stop myself crying.

Anyway, I then get on my phone and start frantically calling EVERY uni with hopes I could make it onto a Foundation course of some kind which would give me SOME kind of shot, I’d quite literally take anything. I then find UWE’s foundation Science route and I give them a call. I ask if they have any spaces left on their course after noticing all you needed was an A Level in Biology at grade D or above to get on.

I took the place AS SOON as they offered it to me. This was me thinking, great, did I just sign up to something which is a whole lot harder than A Levels which I just spectacularly crashed and burned in... possibly. Anyway, that year I started my first university course, FOUNDATION SCIENCE.

Guys, it was the best thing I had EVER done. At the time I didn’t realise it but I met someone who I now consider the best person I could have ever met, EVER. I just didn’t know it at the time because we never spoke in that year except maybe 5 times, but, that’s another story for another time. Anyway, I got a 2:1 at the end of the year and choose to do the OFFICIAL degree “Biomedical Science” - I FINALLY DID IT!

Anyway, aside from all the trials and tribulations (and trust me, in second year, 1/3 of the course failed a certain exam and luckily for me, I was NOT one of them), there were a lot of them... uni isn't easy socially or intellectually I promise you this I pulled through.

Anyway, here I stand now. I graduated on the 26th of July with my honours degree in Biomedical Science with a 2:1!
Yes, I know it took me going down the Foundation Route to do it but, honestly, best decision of my life!

Now, I am about to do something I’ve wanted to do AND received an unconditional offer to do so after completing a SKE as one of the conditional entry requirements. My PGCE year because honestly, I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and now, I’ve been given that shot.

Right guys, ironically I am a teacher after essentially completely messing everything up back at sixth form...

It isn’t the end of the world should things go badly guys, I promise. It is just the beginning. Keep looking forward and you’ll get what you want eventually I promise you lot!

Long story short;
Bad A Level grades, pulled through with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science from UWE and about to start my PGCE at another Uni!

Guys, I did type the whole thing on my phone, so if there are any slight issues, grammar or spelling wise, that's why.
That's fab, thanks so much for sharing this!
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
What did you think went wrong with your A-levels? What did you do differently to succeed at university?
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
What did you think went wrong with your A-levels? What did you do differently to succeed at university?
This is going to sound like a REALLY bad excuse but this is what I believe;

1. Exam technique - I could NEVER get it down! It was the whole "well, you didn't use this word, so you get nothing" kinda stuff that got me. At least I think it was anyway. =)
2. Coursework at uni - A levels are 100% EXAM which is a massive drawback for people who don't like the pressure, any coursework is a welcome change and tbh, if you ask me, exams are an ancient form of assessment. It essentially comes down to what is in the exam on the day and if you don't know that one topic very well, it makes you look as though you know nothing on the whole subject!
3. Uni was more fun and I enjoyed it more, it was something I WANTED to do rather than something I needed to do to get me where I needed to be and thus put more into it because I enjoyed it.
I absolutely hated A levels to death because they were 100% exam and again, I think the method of assessment is ancient.

This may sound tedious but this is my honest opinion.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
This is going to sound like a REALLY bad excuse but this is what I believe;

1. Exam technique - I could NEVER get it down! It was the whole "well, you didn't use this word, so you get nothing" kinda stuff that got me. At least I think it was anyway. =)
2. Coursework at uni - A levels are 100% EXAM which is a massive drawback for people who don't like the pressure, any coursework is a welcome change and tbh, if you ask me, exams are an ancient form of assessment. It essentially comes down to what is in the exam on the day and if you don't know that one topic very well, it makes you look as though you know nothing on the whole subject!
3. Uni was more fun and I enjoyed it more, it was something I WANTED to do rather than something I needed to do to get me where I needed to be and thus put more into it because I enjoyed it.
I absolutely hated A levels to death because they were 100% exam and again, I think the method of assessment is ancient.

This may sound tedious but this is my honest opinion.
Fair enough. Have fun with your PGCE.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Such an inspiring, positive story, thanks for sharing. I’m sure this is going to comfort a lot of people today who don’t end up with the results they were hoping for.
I'm hoping so too. =)
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Any questions guys?
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Just bringing this up to the top again to show people, it isn't the end. =)
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Wondering how well people did overall this year tbh...
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wondering how well people did overall this year tbh...
How come you had 3 rejections rather than 2?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
How come you had 3 rejections rather than 2?
Typo. =l
I did say I typed the whole thing on my phone...
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Typo. =l
I did say I typed the whole thing on my phone...
Ah! Easily corrected though!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just thought I'd bring this back for anyone having issues with results day less than two weeks away. =)
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just wanted to say good luck next week guys and don't forget, bad A level results aren't the end of the world!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Good luck on Thursday guys!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Good luck tomorrow guys!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Good luck tomorrow guys!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Good luck today guys!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%