The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:woo: Have moved this to Medical Schools for you :h:
Hi just got my A levels and got A*,A,A.
Checked Exeter med selection process and i would be in tier 3.
I have my UKCAT on 30th Aug and was wondering if i hopefully get 680+ do you recon its enough to get an interview. Thanks.
Hi guys. I’m going to Exeter in September so if anyone needs any advice I am willing to help.
Reply 4
Original post by Alexbrfc1875
Hi guys. I’m going to Exeter in September so if anyone needs any advice I am willing to help.

Hey Alex, what is the accommodation like at Exeter?
Hi - when I selected the Exeter a100 as one of my choices on UCAS it came up with needing GAMSAT and I am applying as an undergraduate so I’m just a bit confused - can anyone clear this up? Thanks I’m advance!☺️
Original post by Alexbrfc1875

Which course? I got in through Clearing for Computer Science and Maths, also starting this September:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by daisyoliver88
Hi - when I selected the Exeter a100 as one of my choices on UCAS it came up with needing GAMSAT and I am applying as an undergraduate so I’m just a bit confused - can anyone clear this up? Thanks I’m advance!☺️

Don't worry about that message. If you're applying as an undergraduate (I assume your're doing A Levels?) then you need to sit the UKCAT. If you're a graduate or it has been more than 2 years since you have done A Levels then you need to sit GAMSAT.
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/BMBS_Detailed_Admissions_Process_2018_entry_V11_FINAL._WEB_VERSION.pdf

I'm about to start 1st year medicine at Exeter as a graduate btw.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Benji_1999
I have my UKCAT on 30th Aug and was wondering if i hopefully get 680+ do you recon its enough to get an interview. Thanks.

Last year (and the year before) you needed to be in Tier 1 to get an interview. That required A*A*A* predicted or A*A*A achieved. Even in Tier 1, a UKCAT cut off was applied around 667. They now seem to be calling that Tier 2 this year, and have elevated achieved A*A*A* to Tier 1.

You should have other options with your high UKCAT as long as you meet minimum academic requirements.

Best off posting in this thread for advice about other alternatives. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1043586

The thread has been really busy in previous years, but nobody has found it this year. It is aimed mostly at applicants applying with predicted A level grades, but you will definitely get ome pointers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Benji_1999

Exeter seem to have changed their Tier system, which they also did last year at the last moment. I have amended my earlier response so it doesn't confuse people. You are in Tier 3, but based on last year the cut off would be applied in Tier 2 this year because the Tier 2 definition is the same as last year's Tier 1 definition.
Original post by meddad
Exeter seem to have changed their Tier system, which they also did last year at the last moment. I have amended my earlier response so it doesn't confuse people. You are in Tier 3, but based on last year the cut off would be applied in Tier 2 this year because the Tier 2 definition is the same as last year's Tier 1 definition.

Thanks alot, appreciate your time.
Hi,
Im a Scottish applicant.
So my grades are straight As at Higher (Maths, Chem, Bio, English and Business Management)
I have my UKCAT in a couple weeks and so far Im getting mid 600's in mocks so probably will achieve like 680-720 in the actual thing.
Do they care about bands for higher grades?
Do they have an age requirement?
What exactly are my chances?
Hey!

I've just got my IB results: 45/45
UKCAT: 700, band 2
GCSES: 10A*s

As I think this lands me in tier 1, does this guarantee an interview?

Thanks!
Original post by meddad

Hey, where are you getting the definitions of tiers from? what are they?
Reply 14
Original post by Saamuelbryan
Hey, where are you getting the definitions of tiers from? what are they?

This link shows the Tier system for 2019 entry: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/BMBS_Detailed_Admissions_Process_2019_entry_FINAL.pdf

It's actually the same as the 2018 document final version, but at one time they had a different definition.

Both the final 2018 document and the 2019 document show Tier 1 as A*A*A* achieved, and Tier 2 as A*A*A achieved or A*A*A* predicted.

A response by Exeter Uni to a Freedom of information request in June 2018 says that interviews were given to:

Home/EU: All Tier 1 Plus Tier 2 students who achieved UKCAT 2670+

In other words if you only have predicted A levels, you needed a prediction of A*A*A* plus a 667 UKCAT score (top of 7th decile).
Original post by meddad
This link shows the Tier system for 2019 entry: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/BMBS_Detailed_Admissions_Process_2019_entry_FINAL.pdf

It's actually the same as the 2018 document final version, but at one time they had a different definition.

Both the final 2018 document and the 2019 document show Tier 1 as A*A*A* achieved, and Tier 2 as A*A*A achieved or A*A*A* predicted.

A response by Exeter Uni to a Freedom of information request in June 2018 says that interviews were given to:

Home/EU: All Tier 1 Plus Tier 2 students who achieved UKCAT 2670+

In other words if you only have predicted A levels, you needed a prediction of A*A*A* plus a 667 UKCAT score (top of 7th decile).

Okay thank you - I'm top tier because i'm contextual :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Saamuelbryan
Okay thank you - I'm top tier because i'm contextual :smile:

Well, I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the Tier 1 group were all interviewed as long as they met minimum entry criteria
Hey! Does anyone know when interviews for Home applicants are likely to be held this year? I emailed Exeter last week but no response :frown:
They are usually held throughout December. I know because I’m a Y1 Exeter Medic!
Reply 19
Hiya, I'm thinking about exeter.
gcse: 10 A* alevel: 3A* UKCAT: 735 band 1
With the tiered system, is it not possible to get tier 1 if you have not achieved any alevel grades yet because 3A* predicted is in tier 2?
Does this put me at a disadvantage?

Latest