Missed medicine offer. BBB Watch

This discussion is closed.
BubbleBabby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok I’m not making any excuses I did miss the offer. But I can’t blame myself as I literally gave 110% I couldn’t have tried more if I’m completely honest and resitting seems like a death sentence to me . Seriously.
I missed my offer which is not great but they game me a biomes place. I know life does not always turn out how you want it to ... I’m prepared to try my hardest to be able to go through graduate Entry Medicine but I know it’s even more competitive and at this point I’m doubting my intellect. How can others get AAA in bio Chem maths but I can’t with 110%?
Realistically what ARE my options. I’m happy because I can still go to my first choice uni but just a little disappointed and dissatisfied... any medical school students or biomes grads have any words of encouragement??
TheTree0fDeath
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get them all remarked, 90% of the time it goes up its literally insane.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
michaela0899
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Remark or reapply. Tbh hun, if i was in your place I would reapply. You got an offer for medicine so that means that you ARE good enough for medicine. Dont let one grade down and resitting prevent you from achieving your dream!!!! It'll be hard to go through the biomed course knowing you really want to do med.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BubbleBabby)
Ok I’m not making any excuses I did miss the offer. But I can’t blame myself as I literally gave 110% I couldn’t have tried more if I’m completely honest and resitting seems like a death sentence to me . Seriously.
I missed my offer which is not great but they game me a biomes place. I know life does not always turn out how you want it to ... I’m prepared to try my hardest to be able to go through graduate Entry Medicine but I know it’s even more competitive and at this point I’m doubting my intellect. How can others get AAA in bio Chem maths but I can’t with 110%?
Realistically what ARE my options. I’m happy because I can still go to my first choice uni but just a little disappointed and dissatisfied... any medical school students or biomes grads have any words of encouragement??
You can try again with BBB but are unlikely to get an offer due to competition. Medical schools don't tend to like resits. The only other thing I can think of is applying to unis that'll let you transfer to medicine after your first year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheTree0fDeath)
90% of the time? What are you basing that on?
completecretin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't doubt your intellect because of grades. There are plenty of reasons why intelligent people underperform even if genetics plays a big part here.
Still, there are a few universities that will accept you if you took an extra year to get three As. You can also do Biomed to go for GEM, do something completely different or even study medicine abroad.
The question is...
How hard did you really find A level Bio and Chem? If you struggled so much, it may not be a good idea to pursue medicine; things can only get more difficult at university.
BubbleBabby
Rep:
?
(Original post by ugaaa5)
Don't doubt your intellect because of grades. There are plenty of reasons why intelligent people underperform even if genetics plays a big part here.
Still, there are a few universities that will accept you if you took an extra year to get three As. You can also do Biomed to go for GEM, do something completely different or even study medicine abroad.
The question is...
How hard did you really find A level Bio and Chem? If you struggled so much, it may not be a good idea to pursue medicine; things can only get more difficult at university.
As Biology and chemistry was a breeze . Honestly I found it really easy achieving top marks. A2 bio was ok harder but alright and I’m disappointed as in class mocks I got A* and A’s chemistry was a little trickier... I guess there is no harm in trying eh.
completecretin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As Biology and chemistry was a breeze . Honestly I found it really easy achieving top marks. A2 bio was ok harder but alright and I’m disappointed as in class mocks I got A* and A’s chemistry was a little trickier... I guess there is no harm in trying eh.
But you got BBB with 110%, by your own admission.
BubbleBabby
Rep:
?
But you got BBB
With biology it was very hit and miss for me . I either got A* or a C it was crazy as with chemistry i only achieved B’s tbh . A2 for me was a horrid year I got health problems in that year and having to go for treatment every week I think slightly affected it...
TheTree0fDeath
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Out of 10 people who get remarked I reckon 9 get an increase. That’s what I reckon and you can take it or leave it.

But seriously it does always seem to go up.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BubbleBabby
Rep:
?
But you got BBB with 110%, by your own admission.
I mean AS not A2 typo...sorry...
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on the Uni you have got in. Some Uni's biomed courses allow transfer to the medical course after the 1st year.

As mentioned, you can ask for remarking - although for all 3 subjects to be raised a grade is hard. It's certainly not 90% will go up (even if it does, would it raise it past the grade boundary)?

Also you can retake, as mentioned some Unis frown upon this and ask for even high grades at offer such as A*A*A*.

Correctly you mentioned that graduate entry medicine is more competitive.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
If you tried your hardest, then at least you should have no guilt.

Occasionally some students who get excellent marks are allowed to transfer across, but I would ask the uni how many that is because I think its a very low number and I wouldnt be banking on that route.

Your other option is GEM, but you should look at how competitive that is.

Your other options are resit, but there are only a very small number of schools which will consider you.

Another option is consider study abroad, but you need money for that.

Then finally all the usual options of clearing and trying for another subject.

As to how others got A and you didnt then you can look at the mark schemes and get your scripts back. You wouldnt have much to lose if you did get a remark, but am highly sceptical of the 90% claim above. Its just a bit of money and that is refunded if it goes up.

Sometimes its not how hard but how smart people work and also theres the factors of luck as well as good exam technique and some being more fitted.

Sorry it didnt work out, but try and pursue your next best option. If you are that determined it doesnt have to end today.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Out of 10 people who get remarked I reckon 9 get an increase. That’s what I reckon and you can take it or leave it.

But seriously it does always seem to go up.
How do you reckon that, what is your source? How many peoples remarks have you kept track of?
completecretin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With biology it was very hit and miss for me . I either got A* or a C it was crazy as with chemistry i only achieved B’s tbh . A2 for me was a horrid year I got health problems in that year and having to go for treatment every week I think slightly affected it...
So did I. My family was collapsing, siblings suffering from mental health issues, I had severe eczema at the time (all recovered now) and I was in poor mental and physical health because of it. It was extremely disruptive and stressful. I ended up with AAB (last year) and retook one exam this year to get AAA and am going to med school in a couple of months. I know how it feels.
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could always go to a European university and study medicine
Gov.LeslieKnope
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm really sorry that you didn't get the grades you wanted - or deserved, given the amount of effort you put in! The offer from your first place university wont disappear immediately and it's great to know you have that as an option. I can really empathise with you about not wanting to retake! especially after such a stressful couple of years.

I totally agree it's worth getting your exams remarked! I think it's also worth thinking about why you applied for Medicine and what it is that you looked forward to both in terms of study and the career afterward. If being a medical doctor is the main goal then in a few months' time when it comes to retakes it will feel worth it - for the sake of a year - in which you could do lots of things that you'll love. Especially vs spending a couple of years and lots of money studying a subject that may or may not get you where you want to go in the long run.

You don't have to go to university immediately and taking a year to do other things, earn some money and maaaaaaybe retake some exams could be really worth it.

Call a couple of universities - Keele has places open for Clearing for Medicine as do some others and maybe just get some advice

Good luck - whatever decision you make, whether you go for biomed or hold out for medicine - you can make the most of your time and make lots of great memories on the way!
BubbleBabby
Rep:
?
So did I. My family was collapsing, siblings suffering from mental health issues, I had severe eczema at the time (all recovered now) and I was in poor mental and physical health because of it. It was extremely disruptive and stressful. I ended up with AAB (last year) and retook one exam this year to get AAA and am going to med school in a couple of months. I know how it feels.
Oh my god thank you
SpringNicht
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was in your position 6 years ago (scary that!). I ended up with a BBB in my A Levels and was devastated.

I scrambled through clearing and managed to get a spot on a biomed course. I hated that course, honestly, but they were brilliant at coaching for graduate entry medicine. I applied in my final year and got myself 3 offers. I'm now at the university I actually wanted to be at when I applied first time round.

I'm now going into my final year of medicine, and couldn't be happier. GEM is more competitive, yeah, but it's more than possible to get into.
BubbleBabby
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gov.LeslieKnope)
I'm really sorry that you didn't get the grades you wanted - or deserved, given the amount of effort you put in! The offer from your first place university wont disappear immediately and it's great to know you have that as an option. I can really empathise with you about not wanting to retake! especially after such a stressful couple of years.

I totally agree it's worth getting your exams remarked! I think it's also worth thinking about why you applied for Medicine and what it is that you looked forward to both in terms of study and the career afterward. If being a medical doctor is the main goal then in a few months' time when it comes to retakes it will feel worth it - for the sake of a year - in which you could do lots of things that you'll love. Especially vs spending a couple of years and lots of money studying a subject that may or may not get you where you want to go in the long run.

You don't have to go to university immediately and taking a year to do other things, earn some money and maaaaaaybe retake some exams could be really worth it.

Call a couple of universities - Keele has places open for Clearing for Medicine as do some others and maybe just get some advice

Good luck - whatever decision you make, whether you go for biomed or hold out for medicine - you can make the most of your time and make lots of great memories on the way!
Aaaah. It’s so difficult. The problem is as medicine is so competitive if I retake my options are very limited and if I do not get in I’ll have to go and do biomedicine anyway. Is there a hotline I can call for advice?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.72%
Excited (147)
8.95%
Worried (297)
18.08%
Terrified (371)
22.58%
Meh (151)
9.19%
Confused (36)
2.19%