The Student Room Group

HELP how much do I need to score to get a 2.1 overall?

Can anyone please help me?

My second year counts for 25% of the overall final mark. I scored 66, 62, 60 and 58, with each module worth 30 credits. I worked that out and my average for that year is 61,5%.

My third and final year counts for 75% of the overall final mark and so far I have achieved 85, 80, 60, 75, and 58, with each module worth 20 credits. I studied 6 modules, and I still have an exam to go, which I had to defer due to illness.

My math is so bad that I cannot figure out how much I need to get in my last remaining exam in order to get a high 2.1 overall. Can anyone please help me by pointing out how I can calculate it?

I found a calculator in the Tab, but the score it gave me was in the 40-50% bracket, and surely, that cannot be right? No??

Whoever helps me, thank you so so so so very much!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelin
Can anyone please help me?

My second year counts for 25% of the overall final mark. I scored 66, 62, 60 and 58, with each module worth 30 credits. I worked that out and my average for that year is 61,5%.

My third and final year counts for 75% of the overall final mark and so far I have achieved 85, 80, 60, 75, and 58, with each module worth 20 credits. I studied 6 modules, and I still have an exam to go, which I had to defer due to illness.

My math is so bad that I cannot figure out how much I need to get in my last remaining exam in order to get a high 2.1 overall. Can anyone please help me by pointing out how I can calculate it?

I found a calculator in the Tab, but the score it gave me was in the 40-50% bracket, and surely, that cannot be right? No??

Whoever helps me, thank you so so so so very much!!!

It does make sense as you've already exceeded what you need to get a 2.1.
What is the percentage bracket/number of credits required for you to get a 2.1? They are different from one uni to another.
Reply 4
Original post by asdfghjklcupcake
What is the percentage bracket/number of credits required for you to get a 2.1? They are different from one uni to another.

My average needs to be over 60% to get a 2.1 and, ideally, I would like to get a solid average of 65%.

If I calculated my average for 2nd year correctly, it is 61,5. Divided by 4 it is 15,375.

My final year average is, at the moment, 59.6, the module I haven't been examined yet included as a 0% score.

What I did was add 80+60+85+75+58+0 = 358. My modules are 6 so I divided 358 by 6 = 59.6%

And then I followed some guidelines from my university which told us to divide 59.6 by 4 which is 14.9, and then multiply it by 3 which is 44.7.

15,375 + 44.7 = 60,075, so technically, if I have calculated everything correctly, which is a BIG if, I have achieved a 2.1.

Are the calculations correct? And what score do I need for my other module in order to get around 65% as an average?
Reply 5
I am just completely useless at math.

I have an offer to study for the LLM at a brilliant university and I really want to score well in my remaining module, over 60% at least, because I don't want to fail or appear as if I couldn't bother. My exam is on Wednesday and I am scared. All my low scores this year, 58% and 60%, were on exams and I don't want this exam to go so badly too...
Reply 6

Thank you! How do I use this though? I can only include one percentage for the individual grade.
Original post by angelin
Thank you! How do I use this though? I can only include one percentage for the individual grade.

You currently have 68.5%, but you have another exam, but still be around that ballpark.
Reply 8
Original post by random_matt
You currently have 68.5%, but you have another exam, but still be around that ballpark.

Thank you for your reply. How do I calculate though how much I need to get in that exam to stay around that mark?
Original post by angelin
Thank you for your reply. How do I calculate though how much I need to get in that exam to stay around that mark?

You score 40, and you will have 64.75%, so 65%.
Reply 10
You score 40, and you will have 64.75%, so 65%.

Really? I know it's a big ask, but can you let me know in simple terms how you got to that result? Again, I am so useless at math, so it would be great if you told me how to do it so that I can use the method again if/when I need it. THANK YOU!
Original post by angelin
Really? I know it's a big ask, but can you let me know in simple terms how you got to that result? Again, I am so useless at math, so it would be great if you told me how to do it so that I can use the method again if/when I need it. THANK YOU!

I merely typed in your grades and their weighting.
Reply 12
I merely typed in your grades and their weighting.

I am totally confused now. Isn't it absolutely necessary to take into account both the credits of each module and the achieved mark?

My four second-year modules were worth 30 credits each and the average is 61.5%

My six final-year modules are worth 20 credits each and without the exam I haven't sat yet, the average is 71.6%. If I include the module the average I get is 59.6%.

What did you add in the percentage box? Sorry, I know it is simple and I am being such a pain, but I am so incredibly useless at math.
A 2.1 is a 2.1 . So whether you got 61.5% or 68.5% it will still say 2.1 on your degree.
Reply 14
Original post by Killerpenguin15
A 2.1 is a 2.1 . So whether you got 61.5% or 68.5% it will still say 2.1 on your degree.

I am doing Law. Trust me, it matters!
Original post by angelin
I am totally confused now. Isn't it absolutely necessary to take into account both the credits of each module and the achieved mark?

My four second-year modules were worth 30 credits each and the average is 61.5%

My six final-year modules are worth 20 credits each and without the exam I haven't sat yet, the average is 71.6%. If I include the module the average I get is 59.6%.

What did you add in the percentage box? Sorry, I know it is simple and I am being such a pain, but I am so incredibly useless at math.

Jesus.

Mark: 61.5% (your average across year two) Percentage: 25% (what the year is worth)

Mark: Type them in, include a hypothetical for the upcoming exam. Percentage: 20% right. Hit the calculate button, there is your average mark. Then just change the 20% to 75%.
Original post by angelin
I am doing Law. Trust me, it matters!

Are law firms really so pedantic that they require the specific degree result as well as the classification?
Reply 17
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Are law firms really so pedantic that they require the specific degree result as well as the classification?

Big law firms use 'filters' at the initial stage, but if you manage to progress individual marks are important, and they are also important if you want to continue with further studies.
Reply 18
Jesus.

Mark: 61.5% (your average across year two) Percentage: 25% (what the year is worth)

Mark: Type them in, include a hypothetical for the upcoming exam. Percentage: 20% right. Hit the calculate button, there is your average mark. Then just change the 20% to 75%.

I am still confused if I am honest and I don't understand it, but thank you anyway.
Original post by angelin
I am still confused if I am honest and I don't understand it, but thank you anyway.

Thats your first year, do the same for 2nd year. Then you have your two averages, and you can calculate your final grade.

I'm assuming I've done it right, if not, whoops.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending