The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

I'm currently studying at the University of Derby. Ask me anything :)

Hello everyone my name is Victoria and I am currently a third year forensic science student studying at the University of Derby.

If you have any questions about the university or about the city then post your question down below and I’ll be here to answer :smile:

Victoria :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by University of Derby
Hello everyone my name is Victoria and I am currently a third year forensic science student studying at the University of Derby.

If you have any questions about the university or about the city then post your question down below and I’ll be here to answer :smile:

What made you choose Derby over your other choices? :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Original post by shadowdweller
What made you choose Derby over your other choices? :smile:

Hi Shadowdweller

For me I looked at what modules I’ll be studying on the course and to make sure that is what I wanted to study. However a big influence of choosing the university was the campus and the city. When I first visited the university I loved how welcoming everyone was, and how I felt like I was in a community right away.

The campus is modern and the facilities for my course are up to date with having brand new laboratories and equipment and when I graduate I know I will be working with the same equipment within my industry. Also Derby has a crime scene house for us students to train in, having this facility really aids in the learning having specialized rooms for domestic crimes to commercial crimes and also having a wet room to experiment in. We also have outdoor scenes from cars to gardens, this is so beneficial for me as I am learning hands on rather than just a laboratories set up with a fake scene.

With the city Derby is a fairly small city but it’s perfect for students to access everything. There are many activities for students with escape rooms, bowling and mini golf in the city centre and many more, as well as having entertainment like the cinema too.

When I arrived at Derby University I also discovered that they offered free uni bus transport for the students that travelled from the train station to the city centre to the main campus. There are other bus routes to highly populated areas of student accommodation too. The city has also invested in a e-bike scheme that the university has partnered up with so travelling through Derby is very accessible.

Thanks,
Victoria :smile:
Hi! My name is Florence and I want to know when it’s start the courses
Reply 4
hi, am starting my msc in mental health nursing in September, just want to know which campus I will be on and help with parking since I will be driving from Birmingham daily. thanks
Original post by shandies
hi, am starting my msc in mental health nursing in September, just want to know which campus I will be on and help with parking since I will be driving from Birmingham daily. thanks

Hi @shandies, glad to hear you're starting your course with us next month.The masters in Mental Health Nursing is taught at Kedleston Road (part of Derby Campus!)

Ryan
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Florence99
Hi! My name is Florence and I want to know when it’s start the courses

Hi @Florence99,

Most of our courses begin the 17th September. This week is Induction week for most of our courses. Teaching will begin on the 24th September. ~ Callum :smile:
Heyy. I’m joining derby in September. What makes the school fun ?

Hi Victoria! ^_^

I am planning to apply for the Mres Program in Psychology, but I have finished my undergraduate course from India, how to know if I am eligible for the course or not? If the marks are equivalent to the ones required? Also, is there any course specific scholarship available for it?
Hi @madhu_smita,

From the entry requirements listed on the MRes Psychology course page, it looks like you will need to check if your undergraduate degree from India is equivalent to the 2:1 normally required to get onto the course.

- We accept Bachelors degrees from institutions recognised by NARIC or government recognised institutions

- Requirements will vary depending on recognition of institution and scoring system used. Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis

- If your degree from India meets this requirement, a score of 60% is considered comparable to a UK 2:1; a score of 50% is considered comparable to a UK 2:2 plus work experience

- For English langauge requirements, you will need IELTS for UKVI at the required score for your chosen course, as indicated on the course page. The IELTS test report form should bear a valid UKVI number and the test must be no older than two years old

Before applying, you can seek confirmation of equivalency by contacting the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) on 0870 9904088, and writing to Oriel House, Oriel Road, Cheltenham, Glos. GL50 1XP. You'll need to verify your course's equivalence through written verification when you apply for the programme.

We have a range of scholarships available to international students - please check our website for terms and conditions.

Ryan
Thanks a lot Ryan!

I'll check these things out.
Hi @madhu_smita,

From the entry requirements listed on the MRes Psychology course page, it looks like you will need to check if your undergraduate degree from India is equivalent to the 2:1 normally required to get onto the course.

- We accept Bachelors degrees from institutions recognised by NARIC or government recognised institutions

- Requirements will vary depending on recognition of institution and scoring system used. Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis

- If your degree from India meets this requirement, a score of 60% is considered comparable to a UK 2:1; a score of 50% is considered comparable to a UK 2:2 plus work experience

- For English langauge requirements, you will need IELTS for UKVI at the required score for your chosen course, as indicated on the course page. The IELTS test report form should bear a valid UKVI number and the test must be no older than two years old

Before applying, you can seek confirmation of equivalency by contacting the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) on 0870 9904088, and writing to Oriel House, Oriel Road, Cheltenham, Glos. GL50 1XP. You'll need to verify your course's equivalence through written verification when you apply for the programme.

We have a range of scholarships available to international students - please check our website for terms and conditions.

Ryan
Hello Victoria:

I'm Ander from Spain, and I am applying for the accommodation in University of Derby this year. It is a great deal, because I don't really understand the concept of apartment that the Flamsteed court, which is the closest to the faculty of my particular course, has.

The University of Derby web page says says they are double rooms, and that each apartment includes two bedrooms. Of course, I only need one bedroom, but I'm not sure if paying the full £155/week price means getting one or two. Do you know about how it works? It would save me a lot.

I want to thank you in advance for the help provided, and ask to answer as soon as possible.

Ander García Aguirre
Original post by AnderGarciAguir
Hello Victoria:

I'm Ander from Spain, and I am applying for the accommodation in University of Derby this year. It is a great deal, because I don't really understand the concept of apartment that the Flamsteed court, which is the closest to the faculty of my particular course, has.

The University of Derby web page says says they are double rooms, and that each apartment includes two bedrooms. Of course, I only need one bedroom, but I'm not sure if paying the full £155/week price means getting one or two. Do you know about how it works? It would save me a lot.

I want to thank you in advance for the help provided, and ask to answer as soon as possible.

Ander García Aguirre

Hi If you get a double room i'm pretty sure you get one bedroom and the facility allocates another person to the other bedroom
Ok, thank you very much. :smile:
Original post by Uzair789
Hi If you get a double room i'm pretty sure you get one bedroom and the facility allocates another person to the other bedroom
What is the town of Derby like? A lot of people have told me that it is an ugly town, and I've seen several students post about how the night life is bad, there is nothing to do, and that Derby is an ugly place to live

Hi Victoria,
Are you still active on this forum?
Did you not get offers from any where decent?
Original post by Anonymous
Did you not get offers from any where decent?

Excuse me? I am not entirely sure what you mean by this comment, or why you have decided to hide behind the anonymous tag but thank you for the input much appreciated.
Hi,
I am going to be living at student halls and I'm just wondering if there is any parking with the accommodation,
also how many people are you sharing a kitchen with and is it possible to just be with all girls or not?
thanks
Original post by sophiejo2020
Hi,
I am going to be living at student halls and I'm just wondering if there is any parking with the accommodation,
also how many people are you sharing a kitchen with and is it possible to just be with all girls or not?
thanks

Hi @SophieJoJo13,

Several of our halls have parking available - these are Princess Alice Court, Nunnery Court, St. Christopher’s Court and Peak Court. Or if you are applying for an accommodation that has no parking, there is an opportunity to be put on a waiting list to apply for parking at another accommodation separate to the one you will be living in.

In your application for accommodation there is a question which gives the option to declare that you would prefer to be in single gender or a mixed gender flat. After you have been allocated, you can email us to find out how many people you will share a flat with, usually it can be between 4-6 people.

You can email the Student Living team on [email protected] or call 01332 594111.

^Ryan

Quick Reply

Latest