Human Sciences and personal statement

Watch this thread
PjdeP
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to apply to Human Sciences but not enough universities offer it, therefore I would want to apply to biology all however my personal statement is quite biology based without really mentioning that much of human sciences will this put me at a big disadvantage when applying to Oxford?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PjdeP)
I want to apply to Human Sciences but not enough universities offer it, therefore I would want to apply to biology all however my personal statement is quite biology based without really mentioning that much of human sciences will this put me at a big disadvantage when applying to Oxford?
Yes, probably. It's very very difficult to write a personal statement for two subjects, especially ones with quite distinctive differences. You really need to settle on one course in order to make the most of your personal statement and avoid appearing confused.
PjdeP
Rep:
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Yes, probably. It's very very difficult to write a personal statement for two subjects, especially ones with quite distinctive differences. You really need to settle on one course in order to make the most of your personal statement and avoid appearing confused.
The thing is, that Human science is (to put it in basic words), Biology and sociology, therefore, my p.s. is quite relevant HOWEVER I never mention human sciences only biology. I have adapted it and mentioned a lot of the most relevant bio for human sciences but again never mentioned Human sciences by name.
Do you still think I should move completely to bio?
John Dill
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Wist
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If you apply to Cambridge, you'll need to submit SAQ, or the Supplementary Application Questionnaire, which includes a section for a dedicated personal statement toward the course you're applying for. It is recognised that niche courses like Human Sciences cannot be the focus of your application.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PjdeP)
The thing is, that Human science is (to put it in basic words), Biology and sociology, therefore, my p.s. is quite relevant HOWEVER I never mention human sciences only biology. I have adapted it and mentioned a lot of the most relevant bio for human sciences but again never mentioned Human sciences by name.
Do you still think I should move completely to bio?
Yes - by distinct differences I'm referring to the portion of the degree which isn't biology. Failure to mention a significant part of the degree in your PS is not a great idea.

Ultimately it's your personal statement so it is up to you. As long as you understand the risks and know what you're doing then go for it.
PjdeP
Rep:
I'll probably just silly for bio. Ty everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
36.27%
The paper was reasonable (39)
38.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
16.67%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
8.82%

Watched Threads