chocolatd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I messed up big time in my AS and got an E for Chemistry and C for Biology.
My other subjects I got a B and an A but the main subjects are Chem and Bio. I really wanted to study medicine and I was about to take my UKCAT and I've got my personal statement and work experience. But because I really wanted to do medicine do you think its possible for me to go the Biochem route? And then study medicine afterwards? Or is it possible to apply for Biochem on UCAS and in the end, when I do get my A-level grades and if its hopefully AAA, apply for medicine in clearing??
Eleperson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think take a gap year so then when you apply to do medicine you will have your actual A level results and hopefully they will be so much better and the AS results won't even matter.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chocolatd)
So I messed up big time in my AS and got an E for Chemistry and C for Biology.
My other subjects I got a B and an A but the main subjects are Chem and Bio. I really wanted to study medicine and I was about to take my UKCAT and I've got my personal statement and work experience. But because I really wanted to do medicine do you think its possible for me to go the Biochem route? And then study medicine afterwards? Or is it possible to apply for Biochem on UCAS and in the end, when I do get my A-level grades and if its hopefully AAA, apply for medicine in clearing??
Looking at your current results, biochem sounds like a good option, provided you'd be happy enough studying that and would have career opportunities you like the look of if for whatever reason you couldn't get into medicine. You would also need to consider the financial implications of graduate-entry medicine.

I think this is definitely a decent plan though
_101Student101_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in the same situation right now. But, if need be resitting wouldn't be a bad idea if it's possible for you. I mean AS in comparison to A Level is apparently much of the same idea, and work links in easier between AS and A Level. Other than that, I'm aware that you could choose to take a foundation year at some special Uni's that will help you A Level results and then assure your place at Med School. Might take a year longer or two, but if you're willing to study for 7 years I'm sure an extra one or two won't hurt too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed