The Student Room Group

Want to chase my dream - change uni

Hi, I hope I don't bore you with this long thread but this is really important to me, and I'd like your advice.

I'm a current first year at the University of Bristol, studying Politics. But I don't want to stay there anymore - I want to chase my dream and apply to Oxford to study PPE, or to the LSE to do International Relations. They are the best universities for the social sciences and I don't feel challenged enough at Bristol. But this would mean quitting Bristol University, shich would be an incredibly difficult thing to do, leaving my friends as well.

Basically let me tell you more about me - I've always wanted to go to Oxford, but I underachieved on my GCSEs (2A*s, 6As and a B in Maths) and my AS Levels (AABB), so I panicked because I didn't think I was good enough to get in. I ended up choosing Bristol uni - they gave me a 4A offer. I didn't think I'd make that but I worked really hard in my A levels (Politics, French, German and Religious Studies) and got AAAA, and a distinction in AEA German.
In the euphoria of getting my results, I didn't think twice and chose Bristol.

But six months later, I realise I made the wrong decision. Bristol is far two small a city, I've been out everywhere, it doesn't excite me. Plus the politics course there is horrendous, it changed this year, its all about political philosophy, theres nothing there thats contemporary. I'm not happy there - I constantly think of being at Oxford or at LSE because they are the best, and the courses are far better.

Furthermore, I wish I had the gap year - so I could travel the world - because theres very little time to do this nowadays, and work lots so I could afford what I like, at the moment, my parents are very poor and scraping what they can, with aid of govt benefits, thus I'm counting every penny. If I took a year out, I could earn over 15,000 pounds, and thus pay my way/help out a lot with payment.
I've spoken to my parents about this, they aren't keen for me, they feel I'm wasting two years of my life, but said they'll support me whatever I do. I'd like to finish this year at Bristol, then quit, and earn for 6-8 months (I have a well paid job already secured), then travel.
In brief, I just want to be happy where I'm studying and have no regrets. I don't want to think ever 'What if' - that would forever tear me up inside. I know I'm good enough to get in to either of those universities (I'm thinking of applying to at least 2 courses at LSE)
What do you guys think I should do? Any advice appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

If Bristol is far too small a city for you why are you thinking about going to Oxford, which is very much smaller?
For the prestige, obviously. Anyways, if you hate bristol then it would be best to take a year out and reapply. But don't bank on getting an offer from oxford or lse as they have very competitive, so you might end up wasting two years of your life and be in an even worse position.
Reply 3
Good bloke
If Bristol is far too small a city for you why are you thinking about going to Oxford, which is very much smaller?

Indeedy? :confused: Oxford is much smaller than Bristol.
Reply 4
Good bloke

Was just about to say the same thing...

Anyway, are you sure the courses next year and the year after at Bristol wouldn't be any better? I had to study (at a UoL college) in my first year political philosophy and all other boring stuff and it wan't until my second year I could finally study more contemporary things that I was interested in. You must remember however, studying politics tends to be a bit like studying history sometimes, and you won't necessarily get down to the contemporary bits in your courses. How do you like economics? If you don't like political philosophy chances are you won't like philosophy either and then in PPE you'd have to do economics.

But yeah, if the course is really something you don't like apply to another uni to a course you think is more suited to you. Don't select the uni based on prestige though, thats gonna lead you astray.
Oxbridge and LSE are universities, just like any other. Don't give up a perfectly good university to 'chase a dream' because you could end up rejected, and in a worse position.

If you are unhappy with the course and location, then drop out but If you just want to go to a 'better' university, thinking it will solve all your problems, then I wouldn't encourage it.
I'd say chase the dream and deal with the repercussions if there are any.

But that's just me! Heart over head and regretting what I did rather than I didn't...

It's your life; your choice.
Reply 7
I understand a PPE can be completed in two years if you already hav an undergraduate degree. Why not try for that after finishing your degree and working for a few years?
Reply 8
u could do a masters n oxford or lse.....dnt loose what u have now
Reply 9
Umm PPE at Oxford has it's fair share of 'political philosophy', so i dont think u can avoid it....
If your applying to Oxford, i think it might be a very good idea to work your socks off on Interviews- this would be the most criticial factor in ur case. also, any written work sent in needs to be stellar..........
for the PPE interviews, iv heard that, questions are usually centered around Political/moral philosophy, which require u to demonstrate deep lateral and anlytical thinking. so i guess this is something u need to prepare for........

Overall i'd say it's a risk; but if ur fully prepared for interviews (read very very widely on Political philosophy/moral phil/game theory)- then the skie's the limit....

Applying to LSE for international relations- it might be a good idea not to add to much Politics elements in ur PS, as this has gone against some IR applicants in the past. so if it's LSE you really want to go to, then make sure ur PS is highly geared towards IR.....
aity
u could do a masters n oxford or lse.....dnt loose what u have now

thats a good plan.
If you don't like political philosophy, what makes you think you'll like PPE? Near-all politics courses will have some compulsory element of political philosophy. Personally it bores the arse off me, but you've still got to do it to get a grounding in the subject.

It sounds to me like you don't actually want to go to Oxford. You say the course is better but in your first year at least, you'll be doing more philosophy than Bristol, and obviously the town is much smaller. As for LSE, what are your first year grades like? Coukd you apply to go straight into the second year?

As for the poster above, I doubt very much Oxford would accept a politics grad onto a PPE undergrad course. They'd tell you to sling your hook and do a masters.
IlexAquifolium

As for the poster above, I doubt very much Oxford would accept a politics grad onto a PPE undergrad course. They'd tell you to sling your hook and do a masters.

If they did look at him he would need the strong support of his current tutors.
Reply 13
IlexAquifolium
If you don't like political philosophy, what makes you think you'll like PPE? Near-all politics courses will have some compulsory element of political philosophy. Personally it bores the arse off me, but you've still got to do it to get a grounding in the subject.

It sounds to me like you don't actually want to go to Oxford. You say the course is better but in your first year at least, you'll be doing more philosophy than Bristol, and obviously the town is much smaller. As for LSE, what are your first year grades like? Coukd you apply to go straight into the second year?

that's true....ma bad.
bt i think LSE accepts students into their 2nd year. bt the only problem with that is that some students that have transferred from other uni';s to LSE have set a really high bar. one student transferre from Cambridge to LSE with 10A'S AT A-LEVEL! and a 'First' in the first year
so decipher that....
Reply 14
Can you not apply via ucas to unis whilst being at a uni in your 1st year currently? ...
Reply 15
eulerwaswrong
thats a good plan.

true, bt the OP isnt happy where he/she is. this is an issue.....
MrVee
Hi, I hope I don't bore you with this long thread but this is really important to me, and I'd like your advice.

I'm a current first year at the University of Bristol, studying Politics. But I don't want to stay there anymore - I want to chase my dream and apply to Oxford to study PPE, or to the LSE to do International Relations. They are the best universities for the social sciences and I don't feel challenged enough at Bristol. But this would mean quitting Bristol University, shich would be an incredibly difficult thing to do, leaving my friends as well.

Basically let me tell you more about me - I've always wanted to go to Oxford, but I underachieved on my GCSEs (2A*s, 6As and a B in Maths) and my AS Levels (AABB), so I panicked because I didn't think I was good enough to get in. I ended up choosing Bristol uni - they gave me a 4A offer. I didn't think I'd make that but I worked really hard in my A levels (Politics, French, German and Religious Studies) and got AAAA, and a distinction in AEA German.
In the euphoria of getting my results, I didn't think twice and chose Bristol.

But six months later, I realise I made the wrong decision. Bristol is far two small a city, I've been out everywhere, it doesn't excite me. Plus the politics course there is horrendous, it changed this year, its all about political philosophy, theres nothing there thats contemporary. I'm not happy there - I constantly think of being at Oxford or at LSE because they are the best, and the courses are far better.

Furthermore, I wish I had the gap year - so I could travel the world - because theres very little time to do this nowadays, and work lots so I could afford what I like, at the moment, my parents are very poor and scraping what they can, with aid of govt benefits, thus I'm counting every penny. If I took a year out, I could earn over 15,000 pounds, and thus pay my way/help out a lot with payment.
I've spoken to my parents about this, they aren't keen for me, they feel I'm wasting two years of my life, but said they'll support me whatever I do. I'd like to finish this year at Bristol, then quit, and earn for 6-8 months (I have a well paid job already secured), then travel.
In brief, I just want to be happy where I'm studying and have no regrets. I don't want to think ever 'What if' - that would forever tear me up inside. I know I'm good enough to get in to either of those universities (I'm thinking of applying to at least 2 courses at LSE)
What do you guys think I should do? Any advice appreciated.

Just go for it. You will always regret it for the rest of your life, and a postgraduate degree (which I'm guessing you would apply for, for that "Oxford experience?") isn't the same.

I mean, so what, you will still only be 20 when you start the course- life is too short for you to be un-happy.

Plus, you will never have an opportunity to go travelling again for a whole 6 months. Finish the course at Bristol now, apply for PPE in October, hope and pray you get in after interview, and then go off round the world travelling.

Just do it...

(If you have a dream, make sure you follow it. :smile:)
Reply 17
Speedbird2008
Just go for it. You will always regret it for the rest of your life, and a postgraduate degree (which I'm guessing you would apply for, for that "Oxford experience?") isn't the same.

I mean, so what, you will still only be 20 when you start the course- life is too short for you to be un-happy.

Plus, you will never have an opportunity to go travelling again for a whole 6 months. Finish the course at Bristol now, apply for PPE in October, hope and pray you get in after interview, and then go off round the world travelling.

Just do it...

(If you have a dream, make sure you follow it. :smile:)

I agree, a dream is worth going the distance for.
but the OP has to get a First class in their first year:wink:
and obviously stellare recommendations from her tutors!?
Jibzy
true, bt the OP isnt happy where he/she is. this is an issue.....

OP we cant tell you what to do - you must weigh up the pros and cons of any potential decsision an decide what is best for you as a person. Dont feel pressured into making a descision you are not happy with just becuase you feel you have to
Reply 19
What are you going to do if you get rejected from them?