The Student Room Group

NHS STP 2019 Applicants

CT Edit: go to last page for latest offers chat >

Hi all,
Having read the previous 2017/18 threads of the NHS STP applicants I thought it would be useful to create one for the next round of applications as it seems to be a really popular and useful tool.
I've recently graduated (neuroscience) and this will be my first time applying (neurophysiology), so if anyone else is intending to apply or has previously applied, any advice/input would be great!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LF_95
Hi all,
Having read the previous 2017/18 threads of the NHS STP applicants I thought it would be useful to create one for the next round of applications as it seems to be a really popular and useful tool.
I've recently graduated (neuroscience) and this will be my first time applying (neurophysiology), so if anyone else is intending to apply or has previously applied, any advice/input would be great!

Moved to the science/biology uni courses section for you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Moved to the science/biology uni courses section for you :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by LF_95
Hi all,

Hey,
Thank you for making this thread, I didn't know there was one until I put the year in the search engine.

I am in my last year of Biomedical Science and this will also be my first time applying as well. I don't know what I want to do yet but it is between Haematology and Transfusion Science and Clinical Immunology. I would love to get some advice and input between the two so I can get an insight on both. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh sweet, sounds like we’re in the same boat! Right I see, have you looked at any of the threads from the previous years? They’re really helpful and even have some people commenting who are already doing the STP
Reply 5
Original post by LF_95
Oh sweet, sounds like we’re in the same boat! Right I see, have you looked at any of the threads from the previous years? They’re really helpful and even have some people commenting who are already doing the STP

I am starting to read the 2018 thread from the start again, as I tried to keep with it last year but university got in the way. I don't know if should put a question on the thread asking for the advice that I need.

What do you think?
Reply 6
Hi,
I’m planning to apply in 2019. Just graduated with a BSc in psychology and so am interested in neurophysiology, but prior to my degree I worked in a vascular department so am also interested in vascular😊 I’m also applying for graduate medicine and clinical psychology...casting my net wide you might say!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by LJ_1996
I am starting to read the 2018 thread from the start again, as I tried to keep with it last year but university got in the way. I don't know if should put a question on the thread asking for the advice that I need.

What do you think?

Sorry for the late reply: yes definitely pop a question on there, it can't hurt! It also might be worth contacting the hospitals to find out a bit more about the department/role.
Reply 8
Original post by BethyO
Hi,
I’m planning to apply in 2019. Just graduated with a BSc in person and so am interested in neurophysiology, but prior to my degree I worked in a vascular department so am also interested in vascular😊 I’m also applying for graduate medicine and clinical psychology...casting my net wide you might say!

Hi there,
That sounds good! You may as well apply for both departments if you can, as you'll kill two birds with one stone with the application process. And you're definitely casting your net wide but you're clearly determined so that's great!
Reply 9
Original post by LF_95
Hi there,
That sounds good! You may as well apply for both departments if you can, as you'll kill two birds with one stone with the application process. And you're definitely casting your net wide but you're clearly determined so that's great!

Hey Guys,

Looks like there has been one of these for the past couple of years but nobody has set up the 2019 one yet. My name is Jack, I'm researching the STP specifically the Cardiac Science side of things.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks or other things to know before we get down to application dates? I know it's hugely competitive, but I want to give it a shot. I have a 2:1 in Sport and Exercise Science and I'm coming to the end of an MSc. in Strength and Conditioning

Cheers guys,
Jack
Reply 11
Hi Jack, I will be applying for Genomics Counselling this year. Theres lots of information in the 2018 thread to read.
Key tip is to really focus on the application questions and make sure your answers are specific to the person spec and the NHS guidlines.

That is definitely were my application fell this last intake.
Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of how to prepare for the application process (for Genomic counselling)?

I have a Biological Sciences degree (with a focus on Human Genetics) and I'm starting a MSc in October. I'm trying to get as much volunteering/counselling experience as possible, but I'm worried about the interview and online tests - anything I should be studying/reading about now, before the application process begins?

Thank you! :smile:
Hi thanks for making this thread! I've just started hearing about stp I have s masters in human genetics and hoping to join the genomics department. Am I correct in thinking the application opens in January 2019?
Reply 14
Original post by gelly125
Hi thanks for making this thread! I've just started hearing about stp I have s masters in human genetics and hoping to join the genomics department. Am I correct in thinking the application opens in January 2019?

Hi there, you’re welcome! Yes I believe it opens on January 1st but don’t quote me on that! And that’s good you’ve done a relevant masters, I imagine genomics would be right up your street then
Original post by LF_95
Hi there, you’re welcome! Yes I believe it opens on January 1st but don’t quote me on that! And that’s good you’ve done a relevant masters, I imagine genomics would be right up your street then

I hope so it looks like a really good opportunity!
Hey im new to this site and I am about to start my final year in Medical and Pharmacological Science - was also looking at the STP course to apply - obviously will be my first try at it and welcome any advice !
Reply 17
I'm also wanting to apply for genomic counselling.. I'm graduating with a degree in genetics however i've worked in a lab for the past 3 years (part time while studying) and although im volunteering at a care home I won't have the equivalent of 6 months full time experience. I'm not sure whether i should apply anyway or wait another year and try to get some more care experience as that appears to be the focus. any guidance would be appreciated.
Hello! I am planning to apply for Genomic Counseling (2nd time round!). Happy to help if anyone has questions about the application process or online tests.
Hi guys, I’m going into 3rd year biomedical science and will definitely be applying for the 2019 entry (clinical biochemistry/ haematology/microbiology), thanks for making this chat :smile: it’s a great idea and I followed the 2018 entry one too which was useful. At the moment all I would say is prepare and read up on the background of the NHS and what’s going on with it as that’s what I’ve been told is what a lot of people don’t do or focus on too

Quick Reply

Latest