The Student Room Group

NHS STP 2019 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Does anyone know from previous years roughly how many from longlisting get through to the shortlisting/interview stage?
Original post by Lo289
Does anyone know from previous years roughly how many from longlisting get through to the shortlisting/interview stage?

3 candidates for every one available position I think
Reply 582
Wow, so if 70% of all applications got through to longlisting (presuming theydiscard the ones in the bottom 30%), that's still a lot they're going to discard in the longlisting stage 😳
Hey hey all. I am a rookie and would like some advice from STP trainees in reproductive sciences.
Particularly, I would like to know how to make the best selection of location. The hosting centres for this year are:
1. Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
2. the Centre for Reproductive and Genetic Health in London
3. Liverpool Women’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (with rotations to Hewitt Fertility Centre)
4. Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
5. University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS

Based on your experience, do all of these training centres offer fully hands-on lab-based work? Does any of the above involve more communication with patients or a lot of administrative duties? How busy are these centres (how many cycles/year)?
Do you get trained in sperm prep and biopsy?
Is there any research going on?
Could you also tell me which of these centres have time-lapse (I know Hewitt Fertility Centre has)?
Any other advice you could give us?

Sorry for the incessant questions, it’s just that I could do with some inside info!
Thanking you sooooo so much in advance : )
Best of luck to all applicants!
Original post by Zorvo
I've been longlisted too, but do you know how long does it take to review the application?

Yeah what SuRo said, I think on the school website it says they should be done with that stage by 5th March. So we all need a good distraction until then!!
Original post by kayam23
Yeah what SuRo said, I think on the school website it says they should be done with that stage by 5th March. So we all need a good distraction until then!!

The longlisting email i got says 'We hope to issue the first wave of interview invites week commencing 11th March 2019, however this is indicative and can be subject to change (could be earlier or later) '

So we will have to be patient!
Original post by GenCounsellor990
The longlisting email i got says 'We hope to issue the first wave of interview invites week commencing 11th March 2019, however this is indicative and can be subject to change (could be earlier or later) '

So we will have to be patient!

Ah yeah just re-read, mine says that too. Even longer to practice patience then!!
Does longlisting definitely mean you've passed the aptitude tests? I've looked through this and a few old tests and most people seem to think it does, but I can't actually find proof anywhere. Is it possible it just means you've met other standards like appropriate degree etc?

I'm asking because I was convinced I'd failed them, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up!
Reply 588
Original post by CFG1993
P

I haven’t applied for GC before no! What was your experience/education out of curiosity when you got 49?

Pretty similar to you guys:

I have a degree in Genetics with some lab experience, volunteering experience, and have completed a counselling skills course.
Original post by Highly Sammable
Does longlisting definitely mean you've passed the aptitude tests? I've looked through this and a few old tests and most people seem to think it does, but I can't actually find proof anywhere. Is it possible it just means you've met other standards like appropriate degree etc?

I'm asking because I was convinced I'd failed them, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up!

Yup, it states on the website "If your test score is within the required threshold for the programme your application will be put forward for shortlisting. However if your score is below the threshold then you will be notified that your application will not progress any further". From what i understand they don't even look at your application until after you've been longlisted.
Any of the current STP trainees remember their interview questions? Please share so we can start thinking about what questions we could get!
Hey, I'm new this forum

Just wondering how longlisting is assessed, is it purely based on application questions?

I have worked at a supermarket for 2 years, been course rep and volunteered plus did extra curricular activities, did shadowing for a week in a clinic and chose literature based dissertation in my chosen field (GI Phys)

I'm worried as for employment history I only put my supermarket experience and 1 other paid and forgot to add voluntary plus clinic shadowing. However, in my answers I mentioned the voluntary experience for one question and what I learnt from shadowing. Will that be very costly?

I should've enquired but oh well
Original post by AMM2010
Hey, I'm new this forum

Just wondering how longlisting is assessed, is it purely based on application questions?

I have worked at a supermarket for 2 years, been course rep and volunteered plus did extra curricular activities, did shadowing for a week in a clinic and chose literature based dissertation in my chosen field (GI Phys)

I'm worried as for employment history I only put my supermarket experience and 1 other paid and forgot to add voluntary plus clinic shadowing. However, in my answers I mentioned the voluntary experience for one question and what I learnt from shadowing. Will that be very costly?

I should've enquired but oh well

I think shortlisting will mainly be based on your answers. I may be wrong, but certainly the majority of the marks will be for that.
Original post by Jaguar Oasis
Any of the current STP trainees remember their interview questions? Please share so we can start thinking about what questions we could get!

We’re not meant to share previous interview questions with applicants (obviously because it gives people an unfair advantage).

I would consider what each station is named - if there’s one on leadership and communication, you’re probably going be asked something about that. General science questions can’t be too specific, so what are the kinds of general skills and principles that any scientist should know?

if you’re at university get in touch with your careers service, normally they have someone familiar with the STP and they might be able to provide you with questions that are similar, but will never be/are no longer asked at interviews.
Original post by HopeN96
Yup, it states on the website "If your test score is within the required threshold for the programme your application will be put forward for shortlisting. However if your score is below the threshold then you will be notified that your application will not progress any further". From what i understand they don't even look at your application until after you've been longlisted.

Yeah this does imply it. I'm gonna hold off on getting my hopes up though. I'm pretty happy with my application but if they're still looking at test scores I could easily be ruled out on that.
Reply 595
Yeah this does imply it. I'm gonna hold off on getting my hopes up though. I'm pretty happy with my application but if they're still looking at test scores I could easily be ruled out on that.

From that sentence on the website, and this one in the longlisted e-mail:

"Your application has been processed through to the shortlisting stage. A panel will review your application form as part of the shortlisting process."

It's a definite that you've passed the tests. You can't go through to the shortlisting stage without passing the tests, and by being 'longlisted', you have been put through to the shortlisting stage.

The tests were hard, and lots of people felt like they didn't go well at all, but I don't think you have to get all that many correct to get through.

Hey

From the info on the school website it seems that they don't look at actual test scores for longlisting, it's more of a relative thing. So it's based on how the whole applicant pool do, they cut anyone who scores in the bottom ~30% so it's not like you have to score a certain mark to pass because if they did it that way maybe everyone would pass and then they wouldn't have whittled us down at all.

I think the only way they take your actual score into account is if you get an interview and end up scoring the same as another applicant in that and they need a way to separate you both; they will use the test scores to determine who gets offered the job but I think this is a rare occurrence.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful :thumbsup:
Original post by kayam23
Hey

From the info on the school website it seems that they don't look at actual test scores for longlisting, it's more of a relative thing. So it's based on how the whole applicant pool do, they cut anyone who scores in the bottom ~30% so it's not like you have to score a certain mark to pass because if they did it that way maybe everyone would pass and then they wouldn't have whittled us down at all.

I think the only way they take your actual score into account is if you get an interview and end up scoring the same as another applicant in that and they need a way to separate you both; they will use the test scores to determine who gets offered the job but I think this is a rare occurrence.

Sorry I meant to say they don't need the test scores for shortlisting! Once you pass the tests they just look at your application, eg, experience, education and your question answers and score you out of 60.

This is from the school website in the applicant guidance document:

"Minimum criteria - these are the requirements that have been agreed for the post which
include qualifications, experience and skills. For shortlisting scoring purposes, the
NSHCS uses the following ratings:
0 Criteria not met / demonstrated
1 Criteria partially met
2 Criteria fully met
3 Exceeds criteria"
Original post by Lla24
Hey, I currently work at an IVF clinic in London as a lab technician and have applied to the STP.

All centres will offer both lab based work and office duties. You would also do rotations at other departments. When you are signed off for certain procedures you will have patient interaction. However you can not talk to patients about for example clinical changes to their treatment until you have finished your STP and are hcpc registered.

You can look at the clinics websites to find out how many cycles they have annually. You get trained on sperm prep of course, egg collections, vitrification, thawing, embryo grading, IVF and icsi...the list goes on. But I don't think you will for biopsy. It's usually embryologists who have been qualified for a couple of years are offered biopsy training.

Andthe clinic websites may state whether or not they offer time lapse. If not you can email/ call and query.

Thank you for your reply!
In which clinic are you currently employed, if u don't mind my asking?
To tell u the truth, I have already searched the hospitals' sites for cycles/year etc but had no luck in some of them. It would be a good idea to email them, thanks.
Is this your first time applying?
Original post by kayam23
Hey

Yeah this makes sense, and I did look at those documents. There is no mention as far as I can see of the word "longlist" so I'd not taken it as definite. Thanks though, hopefully that means I have a decent chance of an interview!

Quick Reply

Latest