The Student Room Group

How do I get into medicine?

Got my a levels today and they were a lot lower than expected.
Chemistry - C
Biology - B
Physics - C
Pre U Maths - M2 (Basically B)
I got accepted to my firm which was Queen Mary (Biomed) despite not getting AAB.

I think my best bet is to work my ass off and get the highest honours then apply to graduate entry medicine. Can anyone with experience tell me if it is still plausible to become a doctor with these poor A levels? For GCSE I got 6a* 5a 1b 1c (a* in sciences and maths). I have volunteered for special schools and am volunteering for hospices, shadowed at hospitals etc. I got 630 for ukcat but I reckon I can improve that.

Does anyone think there is a better route to becoming a doctor? Such as resitting my a levels or transferring course after 1st year(unlikely with my grades).

I don't know how hard it is to get into graduate entry medicine ( I know its more competitive) so any advice appreciated.
I haven't seriously considered a medical degree overseas because I don't think I would do well away from England at all. I am favouring the biomedical route because resitting my a levels would mean I'm unsure if I would get AAA and would have less to show for after the year. I think I would resit if I had no chance of getting into graduate medicine which is why im not sure.
I want to see if anyone on TSR has gotten into graduate with poor grades and any advice they've got
Thank you, thats quite reassuring. obviously I will have too look into it more myself but I hope thats true
Reply 3
Hi, I did biomedical science at QM and graduated this year. If I have any advice, I would say to work hard throughout your degree. I did well first year, not so well 2nd year (due to lack of effort tbh) but third year came around and I worked my butt off, managing to get a first thankfully. Don’t take any year easy, I know it’s obvious that hard work is needed but it can be tiring at times. The department is quite disorganised if I’m honest so most of the time your studies is reliant on yourself.

Another thing is that try and get work experience during your degree, whether that be volunteering once a week in a care setting or working as a HCA (that’s if you can balance studying and working) as that way when it comes to applying for graduate entry you won’t have to worry about that side of things.

Don’t worry too much, just work hard and apply for graduate entry! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending