vittoriabat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, is there anyone planning to study psychology in Scotland (2019 start)? I'm an international student from Italy and I would really like to find someone to talk to for "mutual support" lol. I am considering Stirling, Aberdeen, Dundee, Napier, Glasgow, GCU and Strathclyde (I know I have to rule out two of them). Also, if anyone who's currently studying Psychology at one of those unis could give me some honest opinions that would be very helpful.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Vittoria,
sorry replying kinda late to your question.
I have a friend who also lives in Northern Italy who is applying to similar colleges in Scotland, for Psychology in 2019.
I've been to Stirling, Dundee & Glasgow with her. They are all excellent universities.

A (subjective) ranking would probably go like this, best: Glasgow, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling, Napier, GCU,
but many other opinions are possible, and likely.

Aberdeen is rather north, hence great Aurora viewing, sometimes, it is a busy oil town.
Dundee is a real university town, a great feel with much student life.
Glasgow/GCU/Strathclyde will give you a warm welcome.
Stirling is beautiful, has a castle. Quiet night life compared to Glasgow's sauchiehall street.
Napier is a small university in the capital of Scotland, all amazing places to study, FREE, for four years, thanks SAAS.

Above all, don't worry *too much* about the wacky UK UCAS scheme, you'll hopefully soon get reasonable offers and can choose Firm & Spare, (based on all the predicted marks, months in advance of your real tests)

That isn't necessarily the end, as UK 'maturity'/'A'-Level exam results for 2019 will be known mid-August, presumably you will get your Italian diploma results in mid to end July, in advance of the 'home' students and you can then spontaneously call round the Scottish Universities admissions looking for remaining places. This does work!

The official day to do this is clearing/adjustment day which opens on ferragosto in 2019, https://www.ucas.com/events/2019-adj...t-opens-331951 but you can actually call round to even colleges that previously required 110/100 of you, or said "no", and see if they have any interesting courses any time after you know your final results.

Don't forget to also consider a late application to, perhaps, Trinity College Dublin for Psychology. Applications there "closed" 5 days ago, www.CAO.ie, but you can make a late entry and pay a few euros. They will likely need 500 CAO points this year for Psychology at TCD.ie, and the course will cost a few thousand euros, but it is a nice Irish backstop insurance, for the meandering UCAS procedure.

Guidelines for Irish CAO points from 2018 for Trinity are Maturità 100%=541, 95%=522, 90%=502 , they can change a bit from year to year.

[edited: as first reply was truncated]
Last edited by LuigiMario; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads