I flopped my A Levels badly, what unis consider retakes for medicine?

Watch
andrewkalana99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I got a D for both Chemistry and Biology A Levels, C for Maths A Level and A for English Literature A Level. I was suffering from anxiety and stress during exam period so I wasn't surprised by this outcome. However, I was planning on doing medicine but was going to take a gap year. I'm now planning on retaking Chemistry, Biology and Maths but I was wondering what unis would consider retakes for medicine. Would my extremely poor grades for A Levels interfere with this decision?
usman1999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could resit your A-levels but that would mean you'd have to get As and A* to stand a chance with the competition. It makes it even harder when you have to get a competitive UKCAT (650+) and strong GCSEs. Few universities accept resits and only under exceptional circumstances.

Graduate entry medicine could be an option but I'm not sure your A-levels would allow you to take this route.

Good luck my man.
andrewkalana99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by usman1999)
You could resit your A-levels but that would mean you'd have to get As and A* to stand a chance with the competition. It makes it even harder when you have to get a competitive UKCAT (650+) and strong GCSEs. Few universities accept resits and only under exceptional circumstances.

Graduate entry medicine could be an option but I'm not sure your A-levels would allow you to take this route.

Good luck my man.
do you know what unis accepts resits (without exceptional circustances) and would my two D's and C make it impossible for me to get into any uni for medicine?
Anoncauterize
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by andrewkalana99)
I got a D for both Chemistry and Biology A Levels, C for Maths A Level and A for English Literature A Level. I was suffering from anxiety and stress during exam period so I wasn't surprised by this outcome. However, I was planning on doing medicine but was going to take a gap year. I'm now planning on retaking Chemistry, Biology and Maths but I was wondering what unis would consider retakes for medicine. Would my extremely poor grades for A Levels interfere with this decision?
I think your best option if you still wanted to do medicine would be to retake those three, or just biology and chemistry, and then go into a science based degree maybe. Getting a 2:1 or higher and trying graduate entry courses for medicine or possibly just applying to the standard five year course which I’ve seen done when talking to people at medical school already. It’s a long route though.

If you retake and get A* and an A maybe you could try applying to medicine as a direct School leaver?
username4210094
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
try kcl but u should be predicted A*AA-AAA to get an interview i'm thinking
Naya104
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Watch Manisha P on youtube, she missed her offers last year and got BBB instead of AAA, so she took a gap year and reapplied this year. She talks about which unis accept resits. It could help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2uO8ffKltc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6yMI56uvZk
ChloePCooper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
As far as I am aware, many med schools' graduate entry medicine only looks at the class of the undergraduate degree, scores in GAMSAT and performance in interviews. I know that some Unis ask for BBB and but many have no requirements (e.g. Nottingham A101).

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Ooooohhh.. Thanks for this!
Emmz96
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You an also check out some european universities who will accept you with your current grades for medicine. I know a lot of people aren’t open to that but it’s just a suggestion.
annanas45
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May be worth trying to get a doctors note about the anxiety to get special consideration for a foundation year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads