The Student Room Group

Got into my dream uni but for a completely different course

I really want to study Economics but the uni has offered me a place for a course which I have no next to no interest in.

I was thinking I could be a bit sly and accept the offer and just switch when I get there?

Different course is offered through clearing btw
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't assume that it will definitely be possible to switch, especially if the course that you want is full. I'd suggest phoning up to ask whether this will be a possibility (e.g. based on your results after year of doing the course you've been offered), but it's not always permitted. If there are any other courses at the university that you might be interested in then you may be able to enquire about being switched onto one of those instead (e.g. if they are in Clearing), but I can't guarantee anything. You're under no obligation to accept the offer that they've given you, just so you know.
Original post by SilverWater
I really want to study Economics but the uni has offered me a place for a course which I have no next to no interest in.

I was thinking I could be a bit sly and accept the offer and just switch when I get there?

What course did they offer? If it's some **** like History with management then yeah that's bad.
Original post by SomMC1
What course did they offer? If it's some **** like History with management then yeah that's bad.

Chemical engineering with a founadation year
Chemical engineering with a founadation year

Ahahah even worse than what I suggested.
How is chemical engineering even remotely related to economics? That's worth rejecting them and going to clearing.
The fact they gave you a foundation year is even worse - 1 more year wasted and paying..
Original post by SomMC1
Ahahah even worse than what I suggested.
How is chemical engineering even remotely related to economics? That's worth rejecting them and going to clearing.

They offered me that in clearing with a foundation year btw :lol:

Its because I took AL Chem so they are probably chancing it???
Original post by SomMC1
Tbf, depending on where you want to end up in ur career, but for example banks do like people with engineering bc it shows they are clever, blahblah blah. But you'd need to learn the economics/finance/accounting, of course.

I got CCC so I don't have much power sadly
Reply 8
If you want to study economics don't accept the Chem Eng. The two subjects are not related except for the fact they have maths in them. Honestly, you're better off retaking and applying for next year and doing the course you want to do. Think about it carefully.

Different course is offered through clearing btw

what uni is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
what uni is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newcastle
You can ask to be placed in Clearing and then apply for courses linked to economics? Look here for your options :smile:
Newcastle

Thank you, we compiling a list of unis doing stuff like this :/ seems to be common this year
Original post by Interrobang
You can ask to be placed in Clearing and then apply for courses linked to economics? Look here for your options :smile:

Yeah I have a to quite enquired a few. No have decent uni will give me an offer with my mediocre grades...

On a waiting list for a few but I'm not holding my breathe.
Yeah I have a to quite enquired a few. No have decent uni will give me an offer with my mediocre grades...

On a waiting list for a few but I'm not holding my breathe.

Good luck :smile: Waiting to hear back if you have a verbal offer?
Original post by wolfmoon88
Thank you, we compiling a list of unis doing stuff like this :/ seems to be common this year

Its bad, because I'm torn between accepting it with the risk of dropping out or just not applying for uni at all and resitting.

The pain of resitting a year feels too great but at the same time I really want to go a to a good uni. I worked so hard just to acheive that and I'm in the periphery of nowhere...
Reply 16
Definitely go through clearing. Better do the course you want literally anywhere than a course you don't like at a "better" uni
Original post by Interrobang
Good luck :smile: Waiting to hear back if you have a verbal offer?

Nah, they are saying you are 'just under the requirements' so you will be put onto a waiting list.
Original post by S27
Definitely go through clearing. Better do the course you want literally anywhere than a course you don't like at a "better" uni

Not getting much in clearing... I think retaking a year is probably my only alternative.
Its bad, because I'm torn between accepting it with the risk of dropping out or just not applying for uni at all and resitting.

The pain of resitting a year feels too great but at the same time I really want to go a to a good uni. I worked so hard just to acheive that and I'm in the periphery of nowhere...

I wouldn't go to a course that you won't enjoy... have you looked at other options in clearing? Resitting isn't too bad if it helps achieve your goals :yep:

Quick Reply