Got into my dream uni but for a completely different course Watch

SilverWater
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want to study Economics but the uni has offered me a place for a course which I have no next to no interest in.

I was thinking I could be a bit sly and accept the offer and just switch when I get there?

Different course is offered through clearing btw
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't assume that it will definitely be possible to switch, especially if the course that you want is full. I'd suggest phoning up to ask whether this will be a possibility (e.g. based on your results after year of doing the course you've been offered), but it's not always permitted. If there are any other courses at the university that you might be interested in then you may be able to enquire about being switched onto one of those instead (e.g. if they are in Clearing), but I can't guarantee anything. You're under no obligation to accept the offer that they've given you, just so you know.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SilverWater)
I really want to study Economics but the uni has offered me a place for a course which I have no next to no interest in.

I was thinking I could be a bit sly and accept the offer and just switch when I get there?
What course did they offer? If it's some **** like History with management then yeah that's bad.
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
What course did they offer? If it's some **** like History with management then yeah that's bad.
Chemical engineering with a founadation year
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chemical engineering with a founadation year
Ahahah even worse than what I suggested.
How is chemical engineering even remotely related to economics? That's worth rejecting them and going to clearing.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The fact they gave you a foundation year is even worse - 1 more year wasted and paying..
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
Ahahah even worse than what I suggested.
How is chemical engineering even remotely related to economics? That's worth rejecting them and going to clearing.
They offered me that in clearing with a foundation year btw :lol:

Its because I took AL Chem so they are probably chancing it???
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They offered me that in clearing with a foundation year btw :lol:

Its because I took AL Chem so they are probably chancing it???
Tbf, depending on where you want to end up in ur career, but for example banks do like people with engineering bc it shows they are clever, blahblah blah. But you'd need to learn the economics/finance/accounting, of course.

Have you looked at UCAS clearing to see possible economics courses? Kings has one but you need A*A*A. Warwick gave out offers for Economics but the person had A*A*A* in adjustment..
SilverWater
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=SomMC1;79308416]Tbf, depending on where you want to end up in ur career, but for example banks do like people with engineering bc it shows they are clever, blahblah blah. But you'd need to learn the economics/finance/accounting, of course.

I got CCC so I don't have much power sadly
H.a.hx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to study economics don't accept the Chem Eng. The two subjects are not related except for the fact they have maths in them. Honestly, you're better off retaking and applying for next year and doing the course you want to do. Think about it carefully.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago

Different course is offered through clearing btw
what uni is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
what uni is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Newcastle
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can ask to be placed in Clearing and then apply for courses linked to economics? Look here for your options
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle
Thank you, we compiling a list of unis doing stuff like this :/ seems to be common this year
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
You can ask to be placed in Clearing and then apply for courses linked to economics? Look here for your options
Yeah I have a to quite enquired a few. No have decent uni will give me an offer with my mediocre grades...

On a waiting list for a few but I'm not holding my breathe.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I have a to quite enquired a few. No have decent uni will give me an offer with my mediocre grades...

On a waiting list for a few but I'm not holding my breathe.
Good luck Waiting to hear back if you have a verbal offer?
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
Thank you, we compiling a list of unis doing stuff like this :/ seems to be common this year
Its bad, because I'm torn between accepting it with the risk of dropping out or just not applying for uni at all and resitting.

The pain of resitting a year feels too great but at the same time I really want to go a to a good uni. I worked so hard just to acheive that and I'm in the periphery of nowhere...
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely go through clearing. Better do the course you want literally anywhere than a course you don't like at a "better" uni
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Good luck Waiting to hear back if you have a verbal offer?
Nah, they are saying you are 'just under the requirements' so you will be put onto a waiting list.
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by S27)
Definitely go through clearing. Better do the course you want literally anywhere than a course you don't like at a "better" uni
Not getting much in clearing... I think retaking a year is probably my only alternative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.74%
Excited (150)
8.97%
Worried (303)
18.12%
Terrified (374)
22.37%
Meh (154)
9.21%
Confused (37)
2.21%