The Student Room Group

What should I be aiming for?

So I received my AS level results today. I got an A in psychology, C in sociology and E in biology. I’m also taking welsh baccalaureate but I haven’t got a grade for that yet. I’m going to drop biology and fast track R.E. (I got an A in gcse) and possibly resit my sociology paper. I would like to take psychology in uni, I’m thinking I should aim for universities with entry requirements ABB? Is this what I should be aiming for? I would really like to go to bristol university, and they have a contextual offer of AAB (I meet two of the requirements for this so I’ll definitely be allowed contextual offer). Is this aiming too high? Should I apply? Would they even accept me because of my current grades?
Original post by emilylgr
So I received my AS level results today. I got an A in psychology, C in sociology and E in biology. I’m also taking welsh baccalaureate but I haven’t got a grade for that yet. I’m going to drop biology and fast track R.E. (I got an A in gcse) and possibly resit my sociology paper. I would like to take psychology in uni, I’m thinking I should aim for universities with entry requirements ABB? Is this what I should be aiming for? I would really like to go to bristol university, and they have a contextual offer of AAB (I meet two of the requirements for this so I’ll definitely be allowed contextual offer). Is this aiming too high? Should I apply? Would they even accept me because of my current grades?

Moved to Psychology :smile:
My advice would be there's no harm in trying.

Fact of the matter is, whilst grades are of course important, they're not the be all end all. Lot's of people are offered places even though they don't meet the grade requirements. If you're worried, have a backup uni that requires lower entrance grades, but is one that you feel would still suit you. A lot of unis really do value personal statements, so of course it would help strengthen your application if you perhaps gained a few days work experience for example to include in there. You need to show that you're committed to the subject - that's the main thing.

Whilst a back up uni is an option, another option would be to simply delay your uni application another year if you find you don't meet the grade requirements to get into the uni you'd want to attend, and retake exams so that you do attain the necessary grades. There's no rush to attend uni, however that is a personal preference which I do understand.

Always apply. Definitely don't not apply because you're worried you may not get in. The only chance you'll have of getting in is if you do apply!

Quick Reply

Latest