sami1815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
No clue why I'm posting. I guess I would just like to talk about it. So essentially I got an A*AA offer from Bristol and an A*AA from Durham, but Bristol stated they would lower it if I made them my firm to AAA. As a result I put Bristol first, this is a decision I regret as I did get A*AA. I emailed Durham and they said they are prioritising near miss applicants, even though I was a successful applicant and attained the grades, though I did decline them so it is my fault. Now I just feel a bit bad and I know I sound like a cry baby but any advice to get out of my own head would be most appreciated.

-An overthinking student.
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a lesson hard learned.

The whole reason why there is an firm and insurance choice is for this exact reason. The reason why Universities do this is to get bums on seats, because, more students = more money.

I wish you the best of luck in negotiating a place at Durham.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Durham likely wont take you, as you were an offer holder and picked Bristol.

On the brightside,

A Bristol degree isn't anything to be ashamed off....
sami1815
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Durham likely wont take you, as you were an offer holder and picked Bristol.

On the brightside,

A Bristol degree isn't anything to be ashamed off....
I guess, in terms of employment and reputation they are both pretty much on par with a very very slight advantage to Durham. But I originally preferred Durham not because of prospects as they are both similar but because of Durham's college system and the town its in.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sami1815)
No clue why I'm posting. I guess I would just like to talk about it. So essentially I got an A*AA offer from Bristol and an A*AA from Durham, but Bristol stated they would lower it if I made them my firm to AAA. As a result I put Bristol first, this is a decision I regret as I did get A*AA. I emailed Durham and they said they are prioritising near miss applicants, even though I was a successful applicant and attained the grades, though I did decline them so it is my fault. Now I just feel a bit bad and I know I sound like a cry baby but any advice to get out of my own head would be most appreciated.

I suppose you could try contacting the head of the department you wish to study, its worth a try, although I do not know if it would make a difference.
sami1815
Rep:
?
(Original post by DCDCo)
This is a lesson hard learned.

The whole reason why there is an firm and insurance choice is for this exact reason. The reason why Universities do this is to get bums on seats, because, more students = more money.

I wish you the best of luck in negotiating a place at Durham.
Thanks, the thing is Bristol only lowered the offer when I made them my firm. If i had put Durham as insurance then, it would have been silly as if I did not make Bristol I would not have made Durham. I was also really unsure about my exams so that is part of the reason why I put Bristol.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess, in terms of employment and reputation they are both pretty much on par with a very very slight advantage to Durham. But I originally preferred Durham not because of prospects as they are both similar but because of Durham's college system and the town its in.
Tiny town, overrated oxbridge remake.

Enjoy Bristol.
skylarwalker
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What course are you doing?
sami1815
Rep:
?
(Original post by skylarwalker)
What course are you doing?
Law, I know its competitive but I spoke to a Durham tutor and she said they are considering near misses, so people with lower grades than me are getting places. I know its my fault for declining them, but I don't get why they cannot make an exception.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Since you met and exceed your offer of AAA, you could go into adjustment and try getting into Durham like that. You do not run the risk of losing Bristol when you go into adjustment.
mathsnerd49
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have your heart set on Durham you might want to take a gap year and then reapply- you've had an offer once you'll probably get one again. If its more because of the reputation and stuff its such a small difference it might not be worth the stress/ the cons of taking a gap year versus bristol might outweigh one or the other and help you decide
H.a.hx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can go through adjustment without releasing your place at Bristol. Hope it works out.
ForeverAQx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I would recommend trying to contact the relevant subject leaders at universities as you do wish to study there. But you could always go through adjustment. Hope things get better for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads