The Student Room Group

4 AS levels - need to drop one

I passed all my 4 AS levels apart from Chemistry, which i really need for uni (got an E lol). Would my sixth form let me keep it on and rather drop a subject I passed and have been wanting to drop since I started it?

That way I'd at least get an AS, and I still have a year to turn the chemistry grade around, but I have a feeling the school will view the E as me not being competent at it. It is what it looks like but I know I can turn it around. Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Ahhh anyone?
Drop chemistry mate, clearly not built for it.
Reply 3
Original post by germanwife
Drop chemistry mate, clearly not built for it.

Imagine having to be "built" for a subject

Thanks for the input though, anyone else?
Reply 4
You can try and explain the situation to them, and ask them to reconsider and give you a second chance.
Reply 5
Original post by P.Ree
You can try and explain the situation to them, and ask them to reconsider and give you a second chance.

Yeah, that's the plan, but I'm not too sure if they would allow me to drop a subject i passed in favour of a subject i had received an E in, despite enjoying it and needing it. Thing is, i dont know how to revise. I winged my GCSEs and had received fairly good grades (6A*-A, 3B, 2C) and underestimated the chemistry alevel lol

The sixth form i go to now really cares about its reputation, hence my worries about getting to continue chemistry. I could go to a different sixth form but i dont know, i wouls rather avoid the hassle as I'll be doing the same stuff anyway.
Original post by Racheel897
Imagine having to be "built" for a subject

Thanks for the input though, anyone else?

Tell them to give you exam 3 weeks into september of all of AS chemistry and what you learnt so far and if you get a C you continue. If you get lower you drop.
Each sixth form will be different. One may let you, another may not.
Explain the scenario, and tell them why you need to continue with chemistry and that you will improve
Reply 8
Original post by lionike123
Tell them to give you exam 3 weeks into september of all of AS chemistry and what you learnt so far and if you get a C you continue. If you get lower you drop.

Ahh but then I'd only be left with an AS and 2alevels at the end... I can't drop it as I'm not continuing all 4 alevels
Reply 9
Original post by AzureCeleste
Each sixth form will be different. One may let you, another may not.
Explain the scenario, and tell them why you need to continue with chemistry and that you will improve

Hopefully they are lenient ahhh haha
Drop it like it’s hot, mate.

Doing 3 subjects at A2 is soul destroying enough.

Quick Reply

Latest