The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent vs Aston?

I am in clearing contacting bunch of universities

I already got into my insurance offer of Aston with mathematics and computer science.

I would like to know how these two universities stack up against each other?

I also have an offer from UEA but the problem is that they offer "Computing science" and not "computer science", from what I have read in other threads there seems to be a general knowledge that computing is less amthematical and more practical.

What are your opinions on Kent vs Aston? and opinion on Computing science from UEA?

Holding on offer of computer science from kent
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi emprex 👋

I currently do Computer Science at Aston, so I could probably add some input.

My favourite thing about CS here is that it's one of two unis (which I know of) which has it's own Software Company! Beautiful Canoe gives students the chance to add experience to their CV before placement year and graduation. You get to work with real clients and projects. Here's a video about it.

Another thing I love is that Aston has the Computer Science Industry Club. This is a chance for the CS students to show off their projects, such as coursework or group projects, to our local tech companies, where they are looking to hire people for placement and graduation!

I honestly couldn't recommend Aston enough for Computer Science. The content is interesting, and the lecturers are great at what they do. Some will even let you get involved with their research, if you ask politely enough :wink:

If you have any questions, shoot them my way! ^Kam
(edited 5 years ago)
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Aston University
Hi emprex 👋

My favourite thing about CS here is that it's one of two unis (which I know of) which has it's own Software Company! Beautiful Canoe gives students the chance to add experience to their CV before placement year and graduation. You get to work with real clients and projects. Here's a video about it.

Another thing I love is that Aston has the Computer Science Industry Club. This is a chance for the CS students to show off their projects, such as coursework or group projects, to our local tech companies, where they are looking to hire people for placement and graduation!

I honestly couldn't recommend Aston enough for Computer Science. The content is interesting, and the lecturers are great at what they do. Some will even let you get involved with their research, if you ask politely enough :wink:

Can I ask for how big your groups have been? There are some modules that you will have to work as part of a group, I am perfectly fine if it is 2 or 3 people but it gets really bad if you work in group of 5 or 6 since only one person can give a lasting negative impression for the entire group.
Reply 3
Hi emprex 👋

Can I also ask if the university will help with placements? The placements (+internships or contract jobs) will the university be able to help me?

Does the university have contact with industries and job providers strongly enough to get a job placement for all the summer holidays I am at University?
Reply 4
Hi emprex 👋

Apologies I keep on forgetting one last thing I would like to ask.

Does a joint degree get looked down upon by employers or does it add significant advantage?
Original post by emprex
Can I ask for how big your groups have been? There are some modules that you will have to work as part of a group, I am perfectly fine if it is 2 or 3 people but it gets really bad if you work in group of 5 or 6 since only one person can give a lasting negative impression for the entire group.

Generally it's about 3 or 4 for coursework projects. With a lot of group projects, you can pick your own teams.

Original post by emprex
Can I also ask if the university will help with placements? The placements (+internships or contract jobs) will the university be able to help me?

Does the university have contact with industries and job providers strongly enough to get a job placement for all the summer holidays I am at University?

We have a Careers + Placement team, who are there just to help you get a placement! Aston is known for placement, and they try to push everyone to go for one. - https://www2.aston.ac.uk/careers

As I mentioned with Beautiful Canoe, you can join the internship programme in the summer and get some valuable experience!

Original post by emprex
Apologies I keep on forgetting one last thing I would like to ask.

Does a joint degree get looked down upon by employers or does it add significant advantage?

100% not. A joint degree of Computer Science and Maths will be loved by employers. I have a friend who has just graduated with CS and Maths and employers love his joint degree. ^Kam
Reply 6
Generally it's about 3 or 4 for coursework projects. With a lot of group projects, you can pick your own teams.

We have a Careers + Placement team, who are there just to help you get a placement! Aston is known for placement, and they try to push everyone to go for one. - https://www2.aston.ac.uk/careers

As I mentioned with Beautiful Canoe, you can join the internship programme in the summer and get some valuable experience!

100% not. A joint degree of Computer Science and Maths will be loved by employers. I have a friend who has just graduated with CS and Maths and employers love his joint degree. ^Kam

"3 or 4 for coursework projects"

Are you allowed with just two people? because I really dont like the idea of big teams.

Roughly how many modules each year has group project in it??
Original post by emprex
"3 or 4 for coursework projects"

Are you allowed with just two people? because I really dont like the idea of big teams.

Roughly how many modules each year has group project in it??

This will vary module by module and year by year unfortunately.

Usually it will depend on class sizes. I did a different degree, but the largest team I had to work with was five people.

It's unlikely it will exceed that.

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending