I've a maths question that I cannot solve

Watch
LeStudent786
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
"L is the circle with equation x^2 + y^2 = 4.
P{3/2,√7/2} is a point on L.

Find an equation of the tangent to L at the point P."

I would very much appreciate a step-by-step guide where every step is explained on how to answer this question, and thanks in advance to anyone who manages to solve it and present their working and reasoning.
mathsnerd49
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
solve to find y so y=(4-x^2)^1/2 (square root) then differentiate for gradient so m=x^3-4x using chain rule then sub in value 3/2 from P and finally sub in all values into y-y1=m(x-x1)
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
IDK if this is the correct method or whatever, but I would find the gradient of the line with the points (0,0) (3/2,√7/2). Then I would find the negative reciprocal of that, as a tangent to a circle meets the line of the radius at 90 degrees, so they are perpendicular. Put whatever the negative reciprocal is into the equation for a line, y = mx + c. Then substitute the points of P into it, and re-arrange to find C.
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mathsnerd49)
solve to find y so y=(4-x^2)^1/2 (square root) then differentiate for gradient so m=x^3-4x using chain rule then sub in value 3/2 from P and finally sub in all values into y-y1=m(x-x1)
Isn't differentiating (or whatever it is) A-Level?
mathsnerd49
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bill Nye)
Isn't differentiating (or whatever it is) A-Level?
I did it in year 11 but it may be now, idk what method you'd want without differentiation
LeStudent786
Rep:
?
(Original post by mathsnerd49)
Wow! I've never seen such maths, and I don't think I will for a while, seeing as I'm only moving from year 9 into 10, and though it looks impressive, I have no idea what's going on. While I do thank you greatly for taking the time to answer my question, I feel like I should be clearer with my question. As such, I shall upload the mark scheme. Do you think you could explain to me what it's doing and why?
Name:  2018-08-16 (2).png
Views: 22
Size:  53.1 KB
LeStudent786
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill Nye)
IDK if this is the correct method or whatever, but I would find the gradient of the line with the points (0,0) (3/2,√7/2). Then I would find the negative reciprocal of that, as a tangent to a circle meets the line of the radius at 90 degrees, so they are perpendicular. Put whatever the negative reciprocal is into the equation for a line, y = mx + c. Then substitute the points of P into it, and re-arrange to find C.
I think you just explained the mark scheme. Thank you very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.35%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.64%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
6.17%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
39.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
27.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.47%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.7%

Watched Threads