Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I recently completed my foundation year in medicine at the Universty of Bradford; I successfully transferred to the University of Leeds this year. If you have any question, feel free to post here and I will try my best to reply as soon as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seriouscandidate)
    How competitive is it to get an interview? I have an offer for natural sciences at Bath. I was wondering if I would be more likekly to get in by Bradford transfer than post grad med.
    Bath is an amazing university!
    Last year, approximately 180 students got admitted into the Foundation programme; however, this included people on the normal route to Clin Sci and other courses in Bradford 9so overall about 120 students wanted to transfer). THIS IS A LOT!
    However, not all 120 students get the required 70% and even with those that got the grades, only 36 got invited for an interview. So there is definitely no guarantee which is the scary part.
    However, post grad is way more competitive than undergrad, but at least you have more uni choices to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Sorry I’m a bit late to this thread lmao! I just got an interview for foundation year medicine at Bradford for the 14th of November. Just wondering a couple of things - because I’m going through the ‘widening participation’ route, what does that entail for going through to Leeds medicine. As I’ve heard that only people who are going through that route can progress onto medicine at Leeds. Does that mean I have a higher chance & is it even accurate?

My predicted grades are ABC (bio, maths, chem) but I think I’m more likely to get ABB. My Ukcat isn’t bad, with an average of 660 and band 2 SJ. I am not taking the BMAT.

Is there a huge chance of me failing to get into Bradford & then in the foreseeable future, Leeds? Since it’s one of my only universities that include medicine, the rest is biology

Also - is the selection day extremely formal? Is there a specific way I should dress, ect.

Thank you!!!

Ps I am super nervous 😂

ReputationRep:
    Hi! When did you get the Bradford interview? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedicMaybe)
    Hey! Sorry I’m a bit late to this thread lmao! I just got an interview for foundation year medicine at Bradford for the 14th of November. Just wondering a couple of things - because I’m going through the ‘widening participation’ route, what does that entail for going through to Leeds medicine. As I’ve heard that only people who are going through that route can progress onto medicine at Leeds. Does that mean I have a higher chance & is it even accurate?

My predicted grades are ABC (bio, maths, chem) but I think I’m more likely to get ABB. My Ukcat isn’t bad, with an average of 660 and band 2 SJ. I am not taking the BMAT.

Is there a huge chance of me failing to get into Bradford & then in the foreseeable future, Leeds? Since it’s one of my only universities that include medicine, the rest is biology

Also - is the selection day extremely formal? Is there a specific way I should dress, ect.

Thank you!!!

Ps I am super nervous 😂

1. Hi! When did you get the Bradford interview? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentProton007)
    [ul]
    [li][ul]
    [li]5[/li]
    [li]less than a minute ago[/li]
    [li]Report post[/li]
    [/ul]
    Hi! When did you get the Bradford interview? Thanks [/li]
    [/ul]
    Hey! I sent my application on the 15/10/18 around 2pm I think & I got the interview yesterday 24/10/18 at 4pm! X

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I sent my application on the 15/10/18 around 2pm I think & I got the interview yesterday 24/10/18 at 4pm! X
    Nice! Well done! I hope it goes well for you X

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am on my foundation year at the University of Sunderland and I wish to leave and transfer to University of Leeds when I'm finished, can you talk about all the process you had to go through?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Sorry I’m a bit late to this thread lmao! I just got an interview for foundation year medicine at Bradford for
    the 14th of November. Just wondering a couple of things - because I’m going through the ‘widening participation’ route, what does that entail for going through to Leeds medicine. As I’ve heard that only people who are going through that route can progress onto medicine at Leeds. Does that mean I have a higher chance & is it even accurate?

Thank you!!!

Ps I am super nervous 😂
    Hi, I've actually got an interview at Bradford too but I'm so confused because I applied for the 3 year clinical sciences course but on my email it said foundation medicine. I think both let you transfer to medicine (I hope). My interview is on the 7th I'd be happy to give you advice after my interview.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello all,

Congratulations and good luck with any interviews you have!

I just thought I'd jump in and address a few concerns you all have - feel free to ask further questions on our official 2019 Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine thread in the University of Bradford Forum.

There was an interview day here on Wednesday 7th - it is not a pre-requisite for students to dress smart, but most people do and it conveys a professional look to our academics. The course is extremely competitive, and although it is a foundation year, the entry requirements are relatively high. Please note, for those considering clearing applications for this course, the entry requirements do not drop.

Only Widening Participation (Route 3) students can be considered for the transfer to Leeds for the MBChB - although non-WP students can contact alternative medical schools to check the entry requirements and if they would accept this qualification for entry.

The selection process for the transfer is very competitive and it would consist of an application (similar to a UCAS application), BMAT, strong academic performance and an interview.

There are up to 20 spaces available at Leeds for students wishing to transfer from the Foundation year into year 1 of the MBChB and 20 spaces for students wishing to transfer from year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc (for students who started on the FY) into year 2 of the MBChB. Please note, the places are offered at Leeds' discretion.

If you have any further questions and comments to make, please post in our official thread at the link above.

Cheers

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    I’ve just received an offer from university of Bradford for the course! The email asked for proof of the route, I had my interview on wed 14th Nov and got my reply today on the 23rd Nov. If you have any questions regarding how the interview went then please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile0506)
    Hello, I recently completed my foundation year in medicine at the Universty of Bradford; I successfully transferred to the University of Leeds this year. If you have any question, feel free to post here and I will try my best to reply as soon as possible
    Hi all, are there any year 12/year 13 students thinking about going to Bradford uni to do a 1 year foundation in Clinical Sciences and then Leeds med school for medicine for 2019/2020 start? I would love to know any information about it and what A levels are needed and what grades are needed at GCSE at Leeds, as I know for Bradford it’s 2 C grade A levels and 4s/Cs at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently studying Biomedical Science at Bfd Uni and I'm still trying to plan what it is I want to do as a career. Plan A is to be a doctor.
    I obviously know that Clinical Sciences is a gateway to studying medicine, but the only thing is that I don't fit the eligibility criteria of being able to directly transfer to medicine at Leeds Medical School- like they have a whole "route" system set up where (I'm pretty sure) route 2 is direct entry into Med at leeds uni.
    So I have 2 questions:
    Is it mad if i transfer from biomedical science to Clinical science foundation year (as it is usually the other way around)?
    Or I was wondering if anyone out there knew what my chances were of getting on to medicine if I'm not on the typical route (route 2 was it??) Of transferring straight on to Medicine at Leeds Uni? Like would my chances of getting into medicine at any uni would be minimal if i wasn't on the typical route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile0506)
    Hi! I'm trying to get onto medicine from Biomedical Sciences, but i want to transfer to clinical science foundarion year at the end of the first year instead of doing all 3 years for biomed. Do you think that's a good idea?
    Also, I'm not eligible for the direct entry route into medicine (was it route 2 idk)- would being on an alternative route drastically lower my chances of getting into medicine at any uni?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Aysha2312)
    Hi! I'm trying to get onto medicine from Biomedical Sciences, but i want to transfer to clinical science foundarion year at the end of the first year instead of doing all 3 years for biomed. Do you think that's a good idea?
    Also, I'm not eligible for the direct entry route into medicine (was it route 2 idk)- would being on an alternative route drastically lower my chances of getting into medicine at any uni?
    Hi

Unfortunately, since you have already studied in higher education we would be unable to consider you for the Foundation in Clinical Sciences / Medicine.

You may wish to consider Graduate Entry Medicine once you have completed your degree.

Thanks

Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aysha2312)
    Hi,
    I'm currently studying Biomedical Science at Bfd Uni and I'm still trying to plan what it is I want to do as a career. Plan A is to be a doctor.
    I obviously know that Clinical Sciences is a gateway to studying medicine, but the only thing is that I don't fit the eligibility criteria of being able to directly transfer to medicine at Leeds Medical School- like they have a whole "route" system set up where (I'm pretty sure) route 2 is direct entry into Med at leeds uni.
    So I have 2 questions:
    Is it mad if i transfer from biomedical science to Clinical science foundation year (as it is usually the other way around)?
    Or I was wondering if anyone out there knew what my chances were of getting on to medicine if I'm not on the typical route (route 2 was it??) Of transferring straight on to Medicine at Leeds Uni? Like would my chances of getting into medicine at any uni would be minimal if i wasn't on the typical route?
    Hi there, could you tell me about all these routes that you have to be in in order to get to Leeds medical school? I thought that if you did the clinical science (either foundation year or whorls 3 year) degree then you get to apply for Leeds medical school anyway without having to go through a special route?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by alexandria51201)
    Hi there, could you tell me about all these routes that you have to be in in order to get to Leeds medical school? I thought that if you did the clinical science (either foundation year or whorls 3 year) degree then you get to apply for Leeds medical school anyway without having to go through a special route?
    Hi

Essentially there are 3 routes around Clinical Sciences at Bradford:

Route 1: Direct entry into Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc is suitable for applicants who wish to study a medically-related degree.

Route 2: Entry via the Foundation year is suitable for applicants who do not have science A levels or the entry requirements for Year 1. Route 2 can lead directly into the BSc in Clinical Sciences or other health-related courses at Bradford or other UK institutions.

Route 3: Entry via Route 3 into the Foundation year is for applicants who fulfil our widening participation criteria as well as the standard academic and non-academic entry requirements. Route 3 provides transfer opportunities for some students to the MBChB programme at Leeds Medical School.

The transfer to Leeds from the Foundation year is never guaranteed and only those who fulfil the widening participation criteria are eligible for the transfer.

Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is an option for graduates to study an accelerated Medicine course at a university in the UK. You will need to contact medical schools who offer GEM to see what they would require.

30-40% of Clinical Science BSc graduates would usually go on to study Medicine as a graduate.
    Please note, the Clinical Sciences BSc at Bradford would also be suitable for most Dental Schools as well.

You will need to contact medical schools to ask if they would accept the Foundation in Clinical Sciences for entry into their undergraduate medical degrees.

Cheers

Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Bradford)
    Hi

Essentially there are 3 routes around Clinical Sciences at Bradford:

Route 1: Direct entry into Year 1 of the Clinical Sciences BSc is suitable for applicants who wish to study a medically-related degree.

Route 2: Entry via the Foundation year is suitable for applicants who do not have science A levels or the entry requirements for Year 1. Route 2 can lead directly into the BSc in Clinical Sciences or other health-related courses at Bradford or other UK institutions.

Route 3: Entry via Route 3 into the Foundation year is for applicants who fulfil our widening participation criteria as well as the standard academic and non-academic entry requirements. Route 3 provides transfer opportunities for some students to the MBChB programme at Leeds Medical School.

The transfer to Leeds from the Foundation year is never guaranteed and only those who fulfil the widening participation criteria are eligible for the transfer.

Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is an option for graduates to study an accelerated Medicine course at a university in the UK. You will need to contact medical schools who offer GEM to see what they would require.

30-40% of Clinical Science BSc graduates would usually go on to study Medicine as a graduate.
    Please note, the Clinical Sciences BSc at Bradford would also be suitable for most Dental Schools as well.

You will need to contact medical schools to ask if they would accept the Foundation in Clinical Sciences for entry into their undergraduate medical degrees.

Cheers

Joe
    I have an interview on the 23rd of jan for the route 3, what do the interviews entail exactly as I haven't been given information
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by venom2k11)
    I have an interview on the 23rd of jan for the route 3, what do the interviews entail exactly as I haven't been given information
    Hi

Please see our official thread for further information on the selection days.

Cheers
    Joe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2019

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.