The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Leeds> Nottingham

OP: people on here are just giving biased views on Nottingham so they can justify their choice to go there. No one in their right mind actually decides to Nottingham

Flagship course: economics...... DONT THINK SO - Jibzy got into econ without maths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats absolutely crazy.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
He might want to do the BA course, and he has the grades so why is it such a big deal?
Reply 62
ScottyDawgUk
Leeds> Nottingham

OP: people on here are just giving biased views on Nottingham so they can justify their choice to go there. No one in their right mind actually decides to Nottingham

Flagship course: economics...... DONT THINK SO - Jibzy got into econ without maths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats absolutely crazy.

lol. TROLL.....dont be butting in where your not wanted. no one wants to listen to ur naive 12 year old contributions....
and yes, i dont have A-level maths. having an A* at GCSE maths was sufficient to get onto the BA course. that says nothing negative about the economics course at Nottingham.
Reply 63
ScottyDawgUk
Leeds> Nottingham

thats absolutely crazy.

How can you possibly say this? I rejected the unconditional offer that Warwick gave me to study Economics and I went for Nottingham instead.

And going by my experience at Notts so far, I think I made the right choice.
Jibzy
lol. TROLL.....dont be butting in where your not wanted. no one wants to listen to ur naive 12 year old contributions....
and yes, i dont have A-level maths. having an A* at GCSE maths was sufficient to get onto the BA course. that says nothing negative about the economics course at Nottingham.

BA economics is ****e IMO.

WIthout Maths, economics is in fact nothing. LSE (good uni) actually require you to have maths instead of economics (which is referred to as 'not necessary if you want to study econ).

A* at GCSE maths isnt going to help u cope with degree level economics.
Don't worry about him (ScottyDawg), he simply enjoys talking out of his backside.
a BA in economics where ever you go is poor.

i mean how the **** can u do economics without maths, its pretty much the only thing that matters. Employers will FROWN deeply upon the sight of doing BA Economics.
Especially for Jibzy who chose 'Business studies' instead of maths.........
Reply 67
Nottingham research is much better than Leeds. That is why Nottingham is a top 70 worldwide University and Leeds is nowhere to be seen. They rank the Universities largely on how often their research is used/citated and how often their researc appears in important journals, such as nature etc. In my Physics department alone I have been taught by Profs who helped INVENT MRI Machines and have £multi-million patents on the technology involved in them. Don't know how many of those Profs are at Leeds?
Reply 68
Wrong: Employers do not frown at BA Economics. As long at the Economics degree is from a high reputation Uni (Notts for example), they won't care if it's a BA or BSc.
I really doubt employers will care. Look at his work experience placements, they are ace and I can only dream of having such a placement.
prospectivEEconomist
I really doubt employers will care. Look at his work experience placements, they are ace and I can only dream of having such a placement.

I disagree.

He hasnt actually got the work experience placements yet has he? And secondly these short w/e arent similar to actually getting a job with one these firms.
He has obviously spoke to some people he knows and they have simply put him forward for an application. Its different when you're trying to apply for a proper job. When you're applying for a job, the interviewer or whoever that accepts you is taking you as a burden. They know full well that if you dont have the skills to complete the tasks at hand then they're ****ed. W/E is totally different.... its just a couple of weeks of seeing what other people do and making teas and coffees. However, W/E is necessary nonetheless.
geoff_yin
Wrong: Employers do not frown at BA Economics. As long at the Economics degree is from a high reputation Uni (Notts for example), they won't care if it's a BA or BSc.

Yes they will.

Ba = none or a limited amount of maths

BSc = the opposite.

Maths is THE most important subject by far.
Reply 72
No. Why should employers care if they did Maths or not. If the person has a 2:1 or better, with a Economics degree from a well respected Uni, they're not going to turn them down in an accounting type job just because they have a BA! You don't even have to be very good at maths to be able to be good at accounting!
g-oo-ey
Oxford is apparently where the best parties are :smile: Not that I'd know..

I went to winter ball last year... it was fun! Expensive and I don't remember some of it, but it was a good 'un :redface:
geoff_yin
No. Why should employers care if they did Maths or not. If the person has a 2:1 or better, with a Economics degree from a well respected Uni, they're not going to turn them down in an accounting type job just because they have a BA! You don't even have to be very good at maths to be able to be good at accounting!

Maybe because maths is very important to most academic subjects .

Look, this is getting boring so ill just let u see for yourself when you struggle with a BA.
geoff_yin

I think he is referring to investment banking and other highly competitive careers.
Reply 76
I'll be fine, don't you worry :smile:.
I know you will, after all you are taking the bsc route lol :tongue:
Reply 78
Barny
In my Physics department alone I have been taught by Profs who helped INVENT MRI Machines

Bowley is quality :smile:
Reply 79
Haha don't know if quality is the right word. He's quite funny though and his lectures are quite interesting. Not sure I like the way he sets his exams though!

Latest

Trending

Trending