The Student Room Group

I'm going into year 9 - what do I need to know?

I'm going into year 9 - tell me anything I should remember, need to know, need to forget or can expect.
Now this is where I excel,

Ok so you'll be choosing your options so start running about what you wanna do in the future and choose wisely what subjects you want to do.

Make sure you start revising but not too much as its still early but maintain a nice habit.

Lastly just remember maths skills from year 7 and 8 and that's about it from me.
Original post by SpiffingApplePie
I'm going into year 9 - tell me anything I should remember, need to know, need to forget or can expect.

if your decent at maths you should focus on grinding it out.. that should be number 1 priority becuase once you start your gcses if you get into the top set you will be able to do additional maths... not.sure if it's different in your school
Reply 3
Hey - I just finished year 9.

Year 9 is not something to be worried about at all. Your classes might become slightly more focussed and GCSE-worthy, (you might even start the course tbh) but up until your end-of-year exams, most things are just like year 7 or 8.

For instance, I had subjects like History and English which were specifically made to make the transition to GCSE easier: in English we chose our 19th century novel (tragically, A Christmas Carol) and in History we studied World War 1 which is a nice gateway to Germany and WW2 in AQA History, at least. But then we also had RS and Music, which were 100% key stage 3 material.

Remember the content of subjects you know you're going to take, like Maths. You can start forgetting the irrelevant subjects you're dead set on not doing (reckon i was a bit too enthusiastic on that one...)

Lastly, just enjoy it. It's the last year where nearly nothing matters, so chill :smile:

Year 9 lol, come back when ur in yr 10 summer holidays, that’s when u need the info
@Saif Saleemi @SomMC1 yeah, I want to do something maths related when I'm older and it shouldn't be hard to maintain set 1.
Reply 6

same here. I am starting Year 9 later in September. I am starting my GCSE's what about you?
You might start GCSE courses in some subjects or all of them. KEEP THOSE NOTES AT ALL COSTS. It will be helpful later. Maybe start revising the stuff you do if class a little bit, it will get you into the swing of things by the time you get to 10/11 and you’ll be able to find out which techniques work for you (use different methods to find out). But mainly enjoy because this is kinda the last year before everything becomes serious, so live a little! Have fun and good luck x
Original post by AaronSR
same here. I am starting Year 9 later in September. I am starting my GCSE's what about you?

I’m going into Year 11 AaronSR and I’m depressed that I’m getting old. I would give to the world to go back so enjoyyyy it!
Reply 9
You will slowly start using the buttons on scientific calculators that you'd never touched before.
Whatever you do this year will make life a bit easier for years 10 and 11, so it's worth doing it. Equally, have fun! It's the last year for a while you won't have formal exams. Keep in mind what you may or may not want to take for GCSE, but don't stop doing anything in the subjects you won't be doing- you've still got a year to potentially change your mind. And as others said, focus particularly on your maths (I would say languages as well). The more you have the basics in place the easier the rest will become :smile:
You survived 8 years - you will be fine in year 9
Original post by AaronSR

Yeah I am starting GCSE science, PRE and starting Spanish (intensive one year 0 to GCSE level course). I'm also making my GCSE options in January.
Original post by RazzzBerries
I’m going into Year 11 AaronSR and I’m depressed that I’m getting old. I would give to the world to go back so enjoyyyy it!

Good luck with your exams!
Reply 14
work hard as it will make choosing and completing your GCSE's easier in year 10 and 11. I just finished year 11 and my honest advice is to enjoy it don't mess around but take every opportunity you can because you don't know where it will take you and enjoy being around your your friends and not having to worry about growing up for another year.
hope that help
have a good year x
Reply 15
I just finished Y9 - here are the things i wish i knew before I started:

teachers really do want to help you when you choose your GCSEs, even though it feels like they don't. They know your skills. try to trust them (but remember that at the end you have to study for 2 years)

similarly - i had trouble with my parents wanting t decide my GCSEs for me. I didn't choose what they wanted me to, and while it felt terrible at the time (there was lots of crying!) i am now so so so happy with the options i have chosen, and excited to start my courses. Lesson - your parents will not hate you forever, you eventually have to learn to be independent. take the courses you love and that you are interested in (being good helps too!)

third, it's time to ramp up the revision on core subjects!

following on, if you have end of year/end of topic exams, try harder than usual in the subjects you think you will be taking. get a feel for the pressure, and also whether your like for it can withstand that pressure

finally - never has it been so important to have good relationships with teachers! especially in subjects you will be taking further!

remember to have fun with your friends and family, but don't forget what is most important to YOU, whatever that is.

good luck! Y9 for me was a great year and I'm sad it's over x
Original post by AaronSR
Good luck with your exams!

Thank you 😣 I’m going to need it! I’ll get off your year’s thread now haha 😂

Quick Reply

Latest