The Student Room Group

Drop Further Maths/.

Hi
I am a student about to go into year 13. I took (Linear) A Level Chemistry and Biology as well as AS Maths and AS F Maths.
I would like to study Medicine and will hopefully be applying to Cambridge. My question is should I drop Further Maths or keep it. As in would 3 A* be the same as 4 A* or would 4 A* make it much more likely to get in.
Many thanks
Fazal
Original post by Thefazbaz
Hi
I am a student about to go into year 13. I took (Linear) A Level Chemistry and Biology as well as AS Maths and AS F Maths.
I would like to study Medicine and will hopefully be applying to Cambridge. My question is should I drop Further Maths or keep it. As in would 3 A* be the same as 4 A* or would 4 A* make it much more likely to get in.
Many thanks
Fazal

Moved to the Cambridge forum :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Thefazbaz
Hi
Many thanks
Fazal

FM is not required, or even particularly useful, for Medicine. Feel free to drop it.
Reply 3
Unis would much rather you have 3 good grades than 4 mediocre ones, so dropping F maths wouldn’t impact if you’d get an offer or not. Also I believe if it came down to two applicants, one with 3A*s and one with 4A*s, Cambridge would turn to your personal statement, reference, interview or UKCAT scores (insert Cambridge equivalent here as I’m not sure what it is) to decide between the applicants. Unis really only look at 3 subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by sidneyylim
Unis would much rather you have 3 good grades than 4 mediocre ones, so dropping F maths wouldn’t impact if you’d get an offer or not. Also I believe if it came down to two applicants, one with 3A*s and one with 4A*s, Cambridge would turn to your personal statement, reference, interview or UKCAT scores (insert Cambridge equivalent here as I’m not sure what it is) to decide between the applicants. Unis really only look at 3 subjects.

Yup, having 4 is no advantage for Cambridge. And it's BMAT at Cambridge :smile:
Number of A Levels

Our typical offers are based on students taking three A Levels together in Year 13, and most Cambridge applicants are studying three or four A Level subjects in Years 12 and 13. This is usually sufficient to show breadth of interests and ability to manage a range of differing academic tasks. We’d rather applicants develop broader and deeper knowledge of the subjects most relevant/closest to their chosen course than accumulate additional A Levels.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

Additionally, remember many non-Oxbridge medical schools don't recognise F.maths as a separate subject and it might not count toward any offers you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending