York vs Warwick vs Leeds for Philosophy - please help

Watch
burner20481024
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Missed my offer for straight Philosophy (AAA was required, ended up with AAB). Through Clearing, I've obtained verbal offers for York, Warwick and Leeds.

Having not researched nor visited any of these places before (I didn't put any of them down on my UCAS form as one of my five though), I don't know which one to go with. Also feeling increasingly desperate because I don't have a huge amount of time to decide, obviously. I really need advice.

After some research, here are my thoughts:

York: beautiful city, culture appeals to me, apparently a strong, encouraging, welcoming Philosophy department, uni itself is apparently small but a good amount of extracurriculars it seems, decent range of modules but don't know much beyond this,

Warwick: also quite a decent choice of modules + topics, tutor from the dept on the phone made the course sound good, obviously prestige and reputation of the uni and dept is there, however, I hate the location (I live in Birmingham, so I've been to Coventry and have seen part of the campus close up), no idea about extra curriculars ---- is it stupid to throw away a place at such a good uni just bc i don't like the location?

Leeds: again decent module range, good philosophy department, vibrant city/culture (nicer than bham?) but reptutation as a party uni...not sure how I feel about this?

Any advice/tips/info would be v appreciated...
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by burner20481024)
Missed my offer for straight Philosophy (AAA was required, ended up with AAB). Through Clearing, I've obtained verbal offers for York, Warwick and Leeds.

Having not researched nor visited any of these places before (I didn't put any of them down on my UCAS form as one of my five though), I don't know which one to go with. Also feeling increasingly desperate because I don't have a huge amount of time to decide, obviously. I really need advice.

After some research, here are my thoughts:

York: beautiful city, culture appeals to me, apparently a strong, encouraging, welcoming Philosophy department, uni itself is apparently small but a good amount of extracurriculars it seems, decent range of modules but don't know much beyond this,

Warwick: also quite a decent choice of modules + topics, tutor from the dept on the phone made the course sound good, obviously prestige and reputation of the uni and dept is there, however, I hate the location (I live in Birmingham, so I've been to Coventry and have seen part of the campus close up), no idea about extra curriculars ---- is it stupid to throw away a place at such a good uni just bc i don't like the location?

Leeds: again decent module range, good philosophy department, vibrant city/culture (nicer than bham?) but reptutation as a party uni...not sure how I feel about this?

Any advice/tips/info would be v appreciated...
Hey! Just letting you know I've popped links in all the uni forums you've mentioned here. Also just tagging in Evil Homer who studied Philosophy, just in case he can help!
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
burner20481024

Hey

Unfortunately I didn't study at any of these universities so I can't be too much help.

The only thing I would add is that I think how you find the tutors is really important in a subject like Philosophy. You will spend so much of your time debating and conversing in seminars, having good tutors and teaching staff is key.

Sorry I cant be more help, if you have any subject specific questions though I'm sure I could be of more use.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed