should we ban the burka in the UK? why/why not? Watch

robertsd12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just want to see what people think on the issue.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Read away
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4611156
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, because it's almost Halloween and I want to be able to walk around with a pumpkin hat.

Zasty
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pop

Corn
RichPiana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Use the search bar on the top right corner and I’m sure you’ll find your answer.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no.

I am personally against very over the top religious dress. No problem with headscarves are fine by me, but full coverings seem awful. I also don't buy at all that its empowering or not-coerced.

But..

I am not immature enough to want to ban things that I don't personally like. And living in a society that is in anyway multicultural, means that we need to have religious tolerance. As long as it doesn't cross our laws then let religions do their thing. Making new laws specifically caused by, and targeting religion though? Isn't needed.

As long as they comply to security measures, airports etc. then let them do what they want.
isiaiah d
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by robertsd12)
I just want to see what people think on the issue.
No, don't think so. People that say it should be banned on security basis are just wrong; there are so many alternatives that will stay legal for criminals that have less use than the burqa
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shouldn't people have the freedom to what what they want?
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Shouldn't people have the freedom to what what they want?
What if someone wanted to dress up as a Nazi or KKK member ?

what if someone wanted to wear nothing/ something barely covering anything?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Davij038)
The Nazi thing is weird. We used to have great larks in this country playing carry-on Nazis: 'Allo 'Allo, "Don't mention ze war" in Fawlty Towers... you'll hardly find a long-running sketch comedy series where someone hasn't dressed up as a Nazi at some point. Even the brother of the future king went to a party in a Nazi uniform.

Despite the pearl-clutching, Nazis can be quite funny. They were silly, and we should mock them as being silly, with their ridiculous pomposity and Oooh-Look-At-Me goosestepping.

That does not take anything away from solemn commemoration of the horrific things that Hitler's Reich did. We can look at different facets of one thing and think about them in different ways.

Our laws already recognise the distinction between dressing in a threatening or offensive way and doing it for perfectly innocent purposes. If you were to dress up as a Nazi and burst in to a synagogue shouting abuse, you'd rightly get arrested for it.
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Davij038)

what if someone wanted to wear nothing/ something barely covering anything?
Name:  cats.png
Views: 86
Size:  214.2 KB
Kn1ghtyKn1ght
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No of course not. It's none of my business what other people want to wear, religious or not, as long as it's not hurting other people
AppleB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It will never be banned.
~Lily~
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I desire to walk on this planet with as much skin exposed as possible, I will.

At the same time, if I wish to walk this planet covered from head to toe, I will.

Who is anyone else to dictate what I can/ can't put over my skin?

Finally, if I want to walk this planet wearing a god-damn hotdog costume, or heck, even a bin bag, then believe me; I. ****ing. Will.

Because at the end of the day, it's my choice, my freedom, my right, to dress how I want, in the Land of Freedom. MY prerogative.

So, in answer to your question, nope, I do not support the burka ban. Nor do I support the bikini ban, hot-dog costume ban, or binbag ban.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ~Lily~)
If I want to walk on this planet with as much skin exposed possible, I will.

At the same time, if I want to walk this planet covered from head to toe, I will.

Who is anyone else to dictate what I can/ can't put over my skin?

Finally, if I wish to walk this planet wearing a god-damn hotdog costume, or even a bin bag, then believe me; I. ****ing. Will.

Because at the end of the day, it's my choice, my freedom, to dress how I want, in the Land of Freedom. Simply, it is MY prerogative.

So, in answer to your question, nope, I do not support the Burka ban. Nor do I support the Bikini ban, Hot-dog costume ban, or Binbag ban.
But you're not allowed to walk around with all your skin exposed...
FailedMyMocks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. What gives someone else the right to dictate what you can or can't wear?
~Lily~
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student-95)
But you're not allowed to walk around with all your skin exposed...
...which is why I said 'with as much skin exposed possible'.

The key word, is possible. As much skin possible. Legally possible, (if you must.)
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ~Lily~)
...which is why I said 'with as much skin exposed possible'.

The key word, is possible. As much skin possible. Legally possible, (if you must.)
So in other words, you're happy with someone dictating what you are allowed to wear and all that stuff about freedom was nonsense.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FailedMyMocks)
No. What gives someone else the right to dictate what you can or can't wear?
We already do
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. Banning the burka is pretty discriminatory on it's own.

A facial covering ban would not only make much more sense, but would be virtually impossible to argue as discriminatory, because it wouldn't be discriminatory at all.

Of course, the ban wouldn't be everywhere... Just places where it'd make sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.42%
Labour (297)
50.6%
Liberal Democrats (76)
12.95%
Green Party (30)
5.11%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.21%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)