The Student Room Group

Top 5 useless degrees

this isn’t aimed to trigger anyone im just curious to see what people think are silly degrees to get at university/ college

imo

1. Gender studies
2. Art History
3. golf management
4. Fashion design
5. philosophy (controversial)

Scroll to see replies

Add surf science.
Original post by Blackberryjam
this isn’t aimed to trigger anyone im just curious to see what people think are silly degrees to get at university/ college

imo

1. Gender studies
2. Art History
3. golf management
4. Fashion design

I don't think philosphy belongs on that list:noway:
elaborate on your point
some people may say i’m a hyprocrite for putting philosophy as i’m doing psychology but i think they’re both in different leagues.
Golf management omds
This thread will inevitably attract chaos... I personally think it doesn’t really matter what degree you get, it’s what you do with it. Too many people believe you get your chosen career with just a degree but it’s not the case sadly :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
What are your thoughts on English Literature? I feel that it's too popular, although it can seem to get you into a variety of careers.
1) Science (EG: Physics / Chemistry etc.)
2) Technology (I.T. or CompSci)
3) Engineering (in its forms)
4) Mathematics

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(edited 5 years ago)
Not a humanities guy but putting Philosophy on that list is the stupidest thing I have ever seen considering philosophy is the foundation of everything we understand about the world...
Depends how you’re defining useless.

Useless in terms of what exactly? Content? Career prospects?
Original post by random_matt
Add surf science.

surf science instead of philosophy then
As i understood it Golf management has very high employment rates, offer international travel and food salaries.
I dont see how any of the others are useless. Just seems like more trolling ignorance.

imo

1. Gender studies
2. Art History
3. golf management
4. Fashion design

Why do you care?

Seriously

Why do people on TSR have to make themselves feel better by putting down other people- which is what this is.

Thuis is just a game of my degree is less useless than your degree- then the STEM tag team will turn up and say everything else is pointless and it will get nasty.

Different people are good and/or interested in different things. A world full of just STEM people would be a dull place to live but so would one where everyone did History

If someone wants to study Art History or Philosophy and they are passionate about it then it isn't unless to them.
surf science instead of philosophy then

No, not really, just mention useless degrees. Wouldn't know what you would do with philosophy to be honest.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Depends how you’re defining useless.

Useless in terms of what exactly? Content? Career prospects?

unless in terms of career chances afterwards and weighing it up against the potential 9 and a half a year cost
Original post by random_matt
No, not really, just mention useless degrees. Wouldn't know what you would do with philosophy to be honest.

i agree with you
Since only one (I think) UK university offers Golf Management, there are few places on offer and it is both an academic and practical course, it basically guarantees you a career in golf management which I have heard pays very well indeed? So not sure why it is useless?
Original post by NevrLucky
Not a humanities guy but putting Philosophy on that list is the stupidest thing I have ever seen considering philosophy is the foundation of everything we understand about the world...

that doesn’t mean it’s a good degree, i even think philosophy is the fundamental science but this list was made under the basis of potential job opportunities or lack there of
Original post by uncommonsensing
Since only one (I think) UK university offers Golf Management, there are few places on offer and it is both an academic and practical course, it basically guarantees you a career in golf management which I have heard pays very well indeed? So not sure why it is useless?

there are probably better degrees you could do to give you an equal or even better chance at getting into the same field. i think more unis would offer it if what you said was correct
Original post by Lilligant22
What are your thoughts on English Literature? I feel that it's too popular, although it can seem to get you into a variety of careers.

english literacy is a strange one i don’t think useless but it’s overrated i agree with you

Quick Reply

Latest