Are LSE, UCL, etc worth it when you can do a masters in Europe for much less?

Watch
Surri3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I got offers to do my masters at both LSE and UCL (Politics), but I also applied to a couple of similar programmes in Spain and France, where the fees are literally 1/4 of those in London (e.g. £14,000 vs 3000€). I just want some perspective because I feel the reputation of LSE and UCL is blinding me a little and I'm not sure if paying that much for a masters just to have the LSE/UCL brand on my CV is really worth it.

I really like the programmes in London, but the ones I got into in Europe are also really good, and the unis are one of the best in the countries as well. I am mainly doing my masters to have better career prospects, but also because I really like the subject and would like to continue studying it.

Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, but in the Uk you get student finance to pay for the fees.

How will you pay for the fees in France / spain?
I don't know how the loans and stuff work in France/spain
NickOnTSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The best places are the Netherlands and Germany. In Germany it's free and in the Netherlands the courses are around £1000, including free public transport worth a couple of hundred pounds per year. I would recommend the University of Amsterdam for example. Highly regarded uni globally, better than many UK Russell Group unis.
mba1413
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Surri3)
Hi all,

I got offers to do my masters at both LSE and UCL (Politics), but I also applied to a couple of similar programmes in Spain and France, where the fees are literally 1/4 of those in London (e.g. £14,000 vs 3000€). I just want some perspective because I feel the reputation of LSE and UCL is blinding me a little and I'm not sure if paying that much for a masters just to have the LSE/UCL brand on my CV is really worth it.

I really like the programmes in London, but the ones I got into in Europe are also really good, and the unis are one of the best in the countries as well. I am mainly doing my masters to have better career prospects, but also because I really like the subject and would like to continue studying it.

You said that, you are doing this master for better career prospects therefore:

First thing I would do is to make sure the other universities are target unis for your choice of career. If they aren't you'll have a harder time and you'll have to do way more networking to pass the first screening test (and in London, competition is crazy so even if you graduate from G5 unis you will still get rejected if you don't bring anything else but the brand name of school)
Second is to actually look at the alumni network within your desired industry. This network is incredibly valuable for support during your application.
Third, check which course matches best for getting your desired job.

If I were you, I would not want to go to the very best if I have already "failed" at getting in during undergrad. The master is your second chance to get into top unis which down the line (we are talking 5-10 years from now) people will remember and acknowledge that you went to LSE/UCL.

A graduate scheme in the London will probably pay your investment within 2 years or less depending on your career.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which option would best help your future career? Which has better course content, alumni networks, links to industry, placement options etc.

Basing a decision on price alone is ridiculous - eg why would anyone buy a Ferrari if a Ford would do the job just as well etc.

Ultimately you've got to make a decision about what's important for you, no-one here can give an objectively-best answer. Good luck and congrats on your offers.
SomMC1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Surri3)
Hi all,

Honestly, a masters for 14k is a steal, as LSE is one of the best schools in the world. The school undergrad fees are 9,250 pounds/yr and that's for 3-5 years.

I see it as an investment. Masters from LSE => better job opportunities => more money => worth paying 14k for LSE instead of 2k for some other uni.

Good luck and congrats on the LSE offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.22%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.79%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.5%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.49%

Watched Threads