This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1414 – Handgun Ownership and Regulation Bill 2018, Jammy Duel MP
Handgun Ownership and Regulation Bill 2018

An Act to reintroduce strictly regulated handgun ownership to the UK for those who demonstrate the ability to handle handguns safely and are of sound mind.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions
(1) For the purposes of this bill a "handgun" shall be defined as a single action, double action, or semi-automatic weapon designed for one handed use;
(2) For the purposes of this bill a "certification body" shall be defined as any gun club or other body registered with the Home Office to be able to certify competence with a handgun;;
(3) For the purposes of this bill a "Registered Psychiatrist" shall be a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or any other body recognised by the Department of Health as a professional organisation of psychiatrists.

2: Competence certification
(1) Any certification body may award Competence Certification that has demonstrated thorough understanding of safe storage and handling of handguns and ammunition;
(i) The standards expected for certification shall be set out by the Home Office;
(2) Competence certification expires ten years after being issued;
(3) Competence certification can be renewed at any time;
(4) Failure to show the necessary competence when attempting to renew certification will lead to immediate voiding of existing certification, irrespective of how long certification has been held.

3: Psychiatric evaluation
(1) All prospective handgun owners must pass a psychiatric evaluation carried out by a registered psychiatrist;
(2) An examinee is deemed to have failed if they are diagnosed with or suspected to have, pending final diagnosis, any mental disorder which may cause them to pose an elevated threat to themselves or the public as defined by the Home Office and Department of Health;
(3) An examinee is deemed to be in good mental health for 5 years after passing a psychiatric evaluation;
(4) Psychiatric evaluations purely to prove good mental health for handgun ownership shall not be covered by the NHS;

4: Criminal Record Checks
(1) A prospective handgun owner must pass a criminal record check;
(2) A prospective handgun owner is deemed to have passed a criminal record check if:
(a) They do not have any charges for violent or firearms related offences for which they were not acquitted on their criminal record; and
(b) They do not have any charges on their criminal record for the prior 5 years for which they have not been acquitted on their criminal record; and
(c) have not served a jail term of any length in the prior 5 years.

5: Handgun licencing
(1) Handgun licences shall be issued on a "shall-issue" basis if the applicant:
(a) possesses competent certification in accordance with Section 2; and
(b) has passed a psychiatric evaluation in accordance with Section 3; and
(c) has passed a criminal record check in accordance with Section 4;
(2) A handgun licence shall be revoked if:
(a) The holder ceases to hold a valid competence certification in accordance with Section 2; or
(b) The holder ceases to be deemed in good mental health in accordance with Section 3
(i) unless the holder is diagnosed with depression the; or
(c) The holder is found guilty of any crime in accordance with law;
(d) 10 years has passed since the issuing of the license, unless renewed;
(3) A handgun licence shall be suspended and all the holders handguns seized by the police if the holder is charged with any crime until such a time that they are acquitted or the licence is revoked;
(4) A handgun license shall be suspended if the holder is diagnosed with depression until such a time that they are found to be in good mental health in accordance with Sec
(5) After revocation, or suspension pursuant to Section 5 Clause 4, of their licence any former licencee must rescind ownership of all firearms of have them verified as disabled by the police, and must rescind ownership of all ammunition within 7 days.

6: Sales, registration, and storage of handguns and ammunition
(1) All handguns must be registered with the police;
(2) Handguns may only be sold to individuals who produce on purchase a valid handgun licence;
(3) Ammunition may only be sold to a licence holder for handguns they have registration documentation for;
(4) Handguns and ammunition must be in secure storage according to Home Office guidance when:
(a) on public land;
(b) on private land unless consent to the contrary is given by the landowner and the registered owner has the handgun on their person or is supervising the safe use of the handgun.

7: penalties
(1) Any individual found to possess a handgun in contravention of Section 5 shall be liable to a fine nor more than £50,000 per firearm, and/or a prison term not exceeding 5 years per handgun;
(2) Any individual found to possess not more than 250 rounds of ammunition that no handgun they are registered as owning can fire they shall be liable to a fine of not more than £100 per round;
(3) Any individual found to possess more than 250 rounds of ammunition that no handgun they are registered as owning can fire shall be liable to a fine not more than £100 per round and a prison term not exceeding 10 years;
(4) Any individual found to sell a handgun in contravention of Section 6 shall be liable to a fine of not more than £50,000 and/or a prison term not exceeding 5 years;
(5) Any business found to sell a handgun in contravention of Section 6 shall be liable to a fine of not more than £100,000 and/or a suspension of their licence to sell firearms;
(6) Any individual found to sell ammunition in contravention of Section 6 shall be liable to a fine of not more than £100 per round and/or a prison term not exceeding 5 years;
(7) Any business found to sell a handgun in contravention of Section 6 shall be liable to a fine of not more than £250 per round and/or a suspension of their licence to sell firearms;
(8) Any certification body found to issue certification in contravention of Section 2 shall be liable to a fine of not more than £50,000 and revocation of their ability to issue certification for not more than 10 years.

8: commencement and extend
(1) This Act extends to England and Wales;
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force immediately following Royal Assent.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Handgun Ownership and Regulation Act 2018.

Notes
Secure Storage guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ty_leaflet.pdf

This bill allows for the ownership of handguns and carry of on private property to those who have demonstrated themselves competent in handgun safety, and show no signs of undue danger to themselves or others through ownership of a firearm. Section 2 means that only those who have demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that they are, from a practical and theoretical standpoint, safe with a handgun may own one. Section 3 means that only those who do not post an elevated risk to themselves or others can legally own a firearm. Section 4 excludes from legal ownership those who have a proved violent history, or a recent history of crime, no matter how petty.

The original handgun bans were unnecessary knee jerk reactions and over the last 20 years there has been no evidence to show that this has made the country any safer:
the homicide rate remains unchanged
Spoiler:
Show

The reduction of violent crime did not accelerate
Spoiler:
Show

Reported overall crime rates were not reduced, and estimated crime rates did not decrease any faster

And before anybody shouts "but America" there is also no strong correlation between gun ownership and homicide rates either in the US:
Spoiler:
Show

Or globally
Spoiler:
Show

The original bans were emotionally motivated and there is no evidence of any tangible benefit, consequently all the bans achieve is to prohibit otherwise sane and law abiding citizens from the right to bear arms on private property with the consent of the land owner, and this bill intend to mark a compromise between this right, and ensuring that it is only law abiding, sane individuals who can demonstrate they are safe to own a gun are the only ones able to do so.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bae <3

Bring the noise, commies, prepare for your appeals to emotion to be dismantled.
CountBrandenburg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye!
Begs to wonder why this was just a private member’s bill and not party legislation, but all will be well when we have handguns once more
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally don't believe that we need to relax handgun law in the UK however i shall consider my view.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.

My position is solely based on the resistance of the possibility of government tyranny - nothing else.
Mainline421
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
God no.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. Whilst I don't think we should ever relax things to America level(just got back from there and the gun culture is downright scary) but we should protect personal freedom
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seconds away, round three.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mainline421)
God no.
Any reason not already covered in the notes?
JMR2020.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If there’s no gun problem in the UK then there’s no need to pass a risky bill like this. No.
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No we do not need to give citizens of good standing handguns in Great Britain, they are unnecessary for personal protection and it's is a badge of national honor that citizens and regular police do not carry nor need to carry handguns.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps controversially for a Libertarian Party Leader, I oppose the increased accessibility to guns in the UK. I don't believe it is necessary for citizens to have the 'right to bear arms' and I do not want to see a gun culture in my country. Stick to knives to kill each other folks.

(Disclaimer: I certainly don't condone murdering others, don't report me! )
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's nothing under "but globally"?
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Perhaps controversially for a Libertarian Party Leader, I oppose the increased accessibility to guns in the UK.
Controversial, but not surprising.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Controversial, but not surprising.
Shame, it appears I'm becoming predictable as my seniority increases.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Beware the Ides of March!
EagleKingdom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. Law abiding citizens should have the right to ownership of a handgun for self protection or personal hobbies.
dirt consider
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
get rid of this.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
There's nothing under "but globally"?
Probably due to how it appeared in the bill last time and how it was copied, off the top of my head it should be the following:
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well you voted against it last time too so nobody should be surprised by your freedom hating
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (636)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads