iseesparksfly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I got A*CD and Cardiff University gave me a place despite my offer being AAB, and if I applied again with just A*CD I know that they wouldn't give me a place. I like Cardiff University, I really do, but I like Exeter more.

I know that obviously Exeter won't accept me through clearing this year, but, I really think that I can do better in A Level Biology and I can get a good grade in A Level Sociology if I study it by myself (in a gap year), which could leave me with A*AB.

You may ask: Why didn't you apply for Exeter in the first place? Well, I just didn't think it was worth it.

So what should I do? Should I go to Cardiff this year with a course that I don't like as much? Or, should I decline it and try again - however, that would mean some of my grades would be retakes, and I don't know how much Exeter like that.

I just don't want to risk going to a bad university, which to me is anything outside the top 25.

I need opinions.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
So, I got A*CD and Cardiff University gave me a place despite my offer being AAB, and if I applied again with just A*CD I know that they wouldn't give me a place. I like Cardiff University, I really do, but I like Exeter more.

I know that obviously Exeter won't accept me through clearing this year, but, I really think that I can do better in A Level Biology and I can get a good grade in A Level Sociology if I study it by myself (in a gap year), which could leave me with A*AB.

You may ask: Why didn't you apply for Exeter in the first place? Well, I just didn't think it was worth it.

So what should I do? Should I go to Cardiff this year with a course that I don't like as much? Or, should I decline it and try again - however, that would mean some of my grades would be retakes, and I don't know how much Exeter like that.

I just don't want to risk going to a bad university, which to me is anything outside the top 25.

I need opinions.
Have you called Exeter to ask if they would consider you?
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Have you called Exeter to ask if they would consider you?
The uni is shut right now, but I will tomorrow!
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The uni is shut right now, but I will tomorrow!
Absolutely do that before you do anything else. You need to exhaust your options before you start looking at a plan B. There is no great rush so take your time and do things properly.
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Absolutely do that before you do anything else. You need to exhaust your options before you start looking at a plan B. There is no great rush so take your time and do things properly.
Can I add the grades to my UCAS even when I've technically firmed Cardiff. I was thinking about, if I get better grades that Exeter will accept, I could go through adjustment?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can I add the grades to my UCAS even when I've technically firmed Cardiff. I was thinking about, if I get better grades that Exeter will accept, I could go through adjustment?
How would your grades differ?
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
How would your grades differ?
Well, I'd do better since my circumstances would be different.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I'd do better since my circumstances would be different.
Do you mean by retaking?
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
Do you mean by retaking?
Yes, I had a lot going on this year so I didn't do as well in biology as I'm capable of. Also, I'd take up A Level Sociology as a private candidate because honestly, it's not that difficult and I think I could get at least a B with the appropriate work put in.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can't go through Adjustment as you did not exceed your firm offer.

The decision to make is whether to retake/reapply. There are no guarantees that even if you had good prospects of improving your grades Exeter would make you an offer. If you like Cardiff, and the course, you might like to consider whether it is worth risking what you have against the uncertainty of reapplying, as well as planning for an unexpected gap year (not saying it can't be done, mind you).
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I had a lot going on this year so I didn't do as well in biology as I'm capable of. Also, I'd take up A Level Sociology as a private candidate because honestly, it's not that difficult and I think I could get at least a B with the appropriate work put in.
Fair enough. As for what you want to do - it's up to you and what you want to do regarding the uni and retaking. There's nothing on Exeter's website which says that they don't accept retake candidates, but the individual courses may have different requirements. However, if you have extenuating circumstances that may not matter
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva)
You can't go through Adjustment as you did not exceed your firm offer.

The decision to make is whether to retake/reapply. There are no guarantees that even if you had good prospects of improving your grades Exeter would make you an offer. If you like Cardiff, and the course, you might like to consider whether it is worth risking what you have against the uncertainty of reapplying, as well as planning for an unexpected gap year (not saying it can't be done, mind you).
I don't get it. So even if I get grades that exceed the Cardiff offer of what they gave me, I'd have to cancel the Cardiff offer?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't get it. So even if I get grades that exceed the Cardiff offer of what they gave me, I'd have to cancel the Cardiff offer?
You can't hold an offer this year and reapply next year. Is that what you're trying to work out?
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
You can't hold an offer this year and reapply next year. Is that what you're trying to work out?
No, if Cardiff let me defer but I get better grades and Exeter would accept me, can I not just go through the adjustment process - not actually applying really, just adding things to my UCAS.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, if Cardiff let me defer but I get better grades and Exeter would accept me, can I not just go through the adjustment process - not actually applying really, just adding things to my UCAS.
No, because your place at Cardiff would be confirmed/unconditional and you are not then eligible for Adjustment next summer even if you retake your exams.
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva)
No, because your place at Cardiff would be confirmed/unconditional and you are not then eligible for Adjustment next summer even if you retake your exams.
Ohhh, okay. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads