The Student Room Group

Fallen on hard times this summer, basically broke.

Hi all,

Since the summer started my financial situation has not been going well and I'm afraid I'll be screwed when university comes around. I'm going into my second year.

Here's the issue, in april started I had £1000ish saved up from when I was working at university, I used this to pay off my overdraft and this left me with £600 to last.

Summer rolls in and my Mum has to leave the country because my grandmother fell sick and she doesn't live here, this left me to have to fend for the entire house by myself with £600, you can see where this is going.

I had to dip into my overdraft to pay for some essentials such as Gas and Electricity because we run on a meter. I also had to pay for my phone bill and the internet bill for the house because my mum couldn't do any bank transfers or payments as she had limited internet capabilities.

I ran out of money on my debit really quick and ended up with £600 used of my student overdraft, I have been applying for jobs left right and centre and haven't been able to get one and I'm insanely worried about my situation as I'm essentially in debt with HSBC.Today they sent me a letter saying that they need to speak about my account and I'm kind of worried.

Before people say "you're reckless with your money" I think it's worth reiterating I was essentially paying for most of the essentials of the house. I also can't ask my Mum for money because she's not really in a position to help me as we are a pretty poor family.

But there is more, I have to pay £612 for my accomodation at the end of this month which is their "payment plan" for people who are unable to pay the initial payment.

Basically I feel screwed and I honestly don't know what to do, what do you guys recommend?
Original post by Kiddio
Hi all,

Since the summer started my financial situation has not been going well and I'm afraid I'll be screwed when university comes around. I'm going into my second year.

Here's the issue, in april started I had £1000ish saved up from when I was working at university, I used this to pay off my overdraft and this left me with £600 to last.

Summer rolls in and my Mum has to leave the country because my grandmother fell sick and she doesn't live here, this left me to have to fend for the entire house by myself with £600, you can see where this is going.

I had to dip into my overdraft to pay for some essentials such as Gas and Electricity because we run on a meter. I also had to pay for my phone bill and the internet bill for the house because my mum couldn't do any bank transfers or payments as she had limited internet capabilities.

I ran out of money on my debit really quick and ended up with £600 used of my student overdraft, I have been applying for jobs left right and centre and haven't been able to get one and I'm insanely worried about my situation as I'm essentially in debt with HSBC.Today they sent me a letter saying that they need to speak about my account and I'm kind of worried.

Before people say "you're reckless with your money" I think it's worth reiterating I was essentially paying for most of the essentials of the house. I also can't ask my Mum for money because she's not really in a position to help me as we are a pretty poor family.

But there is more, I have to pay £612 for my accomodation at the end of this month which is their "payment plan" for people who are unable to pay the initial payment.

Basically I feel screwed and I honestly don't know what to do, what do you guys recommend?

Are you eligible for any hardship funds?
Original post by Kiddio
Hi all,

Speak to your bank and then see if you can do anything about the accommodation payment plan. Then if you're not getting anywhere with jobs, just raise money wherever you can, such as by selling things that you don't need and see if the energy company can do anything to reduce your costs(many of them have grants for families that are struggling).
Original post by Kiddio
Hi all,

So how would your family have paid the bills if you had not been there? You need to speak with your family to get them to repay you.
Reply 4
Do you have a student account? They give you interest-free overdraft till you're completing uni. Also, speak to your university, they have hardship funds in place and can provide you with advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
So how would your family have paid the bills if you had not been there? You need to speak with your family to get them to repay you.

I had to pay my phone bill and the internet bill which is in my name because we got a good deal when we didn't use my Mum's. The Gas and Electricity is run off a meter that you top up at your loval shops.
Original post by H.a.hx
Do you have a student account? They give you interest-free overdraft till you're completing uni. Also, speak to your university, they have hardship funds in place and can provide you with advice.

I am in my overdraft which is the issue.
Original post by Kiddio
I had to pay my phone bill and the internet bill which is in my name because we got a good deal when we didn't use my Mum's. The Gas and Electricity is run off a meter that you top up at your loval shops.

I am in my overdraft which is the issue.

So why haven't your family helped you with money for the electricity and gas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending