Mum only lets me shower once a week? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Okay so hear me out, till I was like 12/13 I would shower every Friday because my mum told me to. I always thought it was okay because obviously that’s how I grew up.

But when I turned 14 I searched up how often you should shower, and it said everyday or every other day and online people thought it was disgusting to go more than 3 days without showering. This instantly made me feel way more self conscious and I didn’t want to discuss it with my mum, but I eventually told her I wanted to shower every other day because it was boiling hot. She agreed to it but I wasn’t used to it so I would miss many days and I think I shower like twice a week now which is an improvement.

So because school is starting soon, after a day of showering I wanted to shower again as I wanted to get into a habit of showering every other day. I asked her if I could (because I’ve always told her if I could shower and it feels weird not to), she laughed at me and said you literally showered two days ago. It came to me begging to shower and she told me to shower the day before school started (3 days later) and would refuse to let me.This made me so angry I sweated at her and ran upstairs crying.

I’ve been trying to shower more but my mum keeps telling me showering once a week is enough, she let me shower twice a week only because it was hot. My self confidence is going very low because of this and I don’t know what to do about it. I know my mum isn’t doing it because it’s a waste of money/water, I think she genuinely doesn’t know you need to shower more (she also showers once a week).

I didn’t realize how long this was, also I’m leaving it anonymous because I don’t want to show my identity as you guys probably think I’m disgusting.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
Hi, I cannot give you expert advice or anything. But YOU ARE NOT DISGUSTING. You have recognised that you want to change your habit of showering and perhaps your mums too. I'm sorry that she denies you the basic access to a shower as you please, but perhaps if you explain to her how the lack of showering affects your self-esteem then maybe she may have a change of mindset. All the best, and you are great as YOU are figuring out how to change your situation.
Piper95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have never heard of such craziness in my life. If your mom continues this nonsense I suggest you at least wash up everyday at the sink with soap and water all over your body. Also, I don't know if your school has Physical Education class like mine did and they had mandatory showers but if they do take one.
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay so hear me out, till I was like 12/13 I would shower every Friday because my mum told me to. I always thought it was okay because obviously that’s how I grew up.

But when I turned 14 I searched up how often you should shower, and it said everyday or every other day and online people thought it was disgusting to go more than 3 days without showering. This instantly made me feel way more self conscious and I didn’t want to discuss it with my mum, but I eventually told her I wanted to shower every other day because it was boiling hot. She agreed to it but I wasn’t used to it so I would miss many days and I think I shower like twice a week now which is an improvement.

So because school is starting soon, after a day of showering I wanted to shower again as I wanted to get into a habit of showering every other day. I asked her if I could (because I’ve always told her if I could shower and it feels weird not to), she laughed at me and said you literally showered two days ago. It came to me begging to shower and she told me to shower the day before school started (3 days later) and would refuse to let me.This made me so angry I sweated at her and ran upstairs crying.

I’ve been trying to shower more but my mum keeps telling me showering once a week is enough, she let me shower twice a week only because it was hot. My self confidence is going very low because of this and I don’t know what to do about it. I know my mum isn’t doing it because it’s a waste of money/water, I think she genuinely doesn’t know you need to shower more (she also showers once a week).

I didn’t realize how long this was, also I’m leaving it anonymous because I don’t want to show my identity as you guys probably think I’m disgusting.
Well depends, I don't shower everyday, maybe I'm disgusting. But it's because my skin gets dry really quickly due to products. So occasionally I'll rinse but not use shampoo or any other products. I think instead do it when she's not home or a quick nip in. Or get a jug and fill it with water or a bucket or whatever. I've heard a lot of asians of doing this so I can kinda understand it but at the same time i don't.
Citizenofpanem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How old are you? I can’t imagine having to ask for permission to use the shower.

What is your cleansing routine on the other days? Do you have access to a good antiperspirant, etc?
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
After reading this, i'm a lot more grateful regarding my life...the world is a strange place...
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not showering every day is okay especially since it's not necessarily healthy because it dries out your skin, as you've discovered. I usually shower once a day (I exhibit OCD traits though) but when I'm home and haven't done much I can go a day without. Of course, summer is an exception and this year especially seems ridiculously hot. So showering everyday in that weather is totally normal. It's odd that a mother says that once a week is fine. Sounds very strange to me. How often does she shower? Or is it because perhaps she wants to save money that would be spent on water? I guess 3 times a week is reasonable. I hope you find a solution!
imanonhahaha
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This was me all my life until I was 13-14. I just started showering whenever I needed to, if she said anything I'd be violent. That's the only way you can deal with some people
cherrybomb115
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
just do it w/o her permission, pretend to take a dump or something then take a quick shower
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Can you not just go in the shower? Why do you need to ask for permission?
Does your school have showers you could use?
Vanny17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sorry Op, you need to tell your mum that you need to shower. I shower everyday without fail, I don't know how people can go without showering. When I go out, I shower at least twice a day as well. I can't fathom going without a shower. I even get agitated if I have not had a shower before 12pm when I am lounging at home!
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I grew up in a similar house. My mum had been told by her GP that bathing/showering more than once a week "washed the natural oils away" so was bad for your health. During my teens I realised that others showered more regularly so I copied them and luckily my parents let me do what I want.

Do you have to discuss when you shower with your mum? Can't you just do it and if she asks you about it then just tell her it's your own decision? I'm guessing the situation is more complicated than this but it's hard to understand just from reading your OP.
Anonymous #4
Report 6 months ago
smother yourself with dirt... I'm sure she'll let you shower then.
Killerpenguin15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I wash without fail every day. It's the hair you can get away with not washing every 2-3 days or so. Because even then you're just going to wash it with just water.
Anonymous #5
Report 6 months ago
It doesn't make you disgusting to not shower every day. But maybe you should just talk to your mum and tell her that during teenage years you need to wash more because of sweat which leads to smell etc. And you also don't need her permission every time if you feel what your doing is right and if she questions you about it just tell her that you needed one, she can't do much about it.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Gross, not sure why people are ********ting you, let's be honest here.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Bull. Just checking.
OGGUS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have 3 or 4 showers a week, I don't get people who shower everyday like their skin must be dry.
Also OP just shower, why do you need to ask your mum?
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I shower everyday and I find it bizarre that your mother isn’t letting you shower everyday or every other day. Can you say why she doesn’t let you? Like someone has mentioned if she doesn’t, try using a cloth and soap using a sink. Are you a female?
Platopus
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
I can’t tell whether or not this is a troll post, so I’m just going to assume that it’s not (if it is: well done, you fooled me).

I don’t know that it’s actually unhealthy to only shower once a week. But, from an odour point of view, it’s definitely not a good idea. People start to smell pretty strongly after only a few days not showering/bathing. I shower every day, but I think every other day is fine, too.

Clearly, you could just get in the shower - she’s not going to physically manhandle you out. So, what’s stopping you is that she tells you off if you shower often. She’d presumably do that if you tried washing up at a sink too, so that’s not a solution.

As she hasn’t listened to you, at this point I’d try getting another adult to talk to her. If you don’t know one who could help, wait until school starts and get a teacher to talk to her. You might even try talking to your school nurse about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (14)
16.09%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.39%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed