How can I stop feeling resentful?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I suffered with anxiety as a result of random seizures and pain problems, and as a result didn't ever leave the house unless my mum was taking me somewhere for years. On top of that I've struggled with intense depression for years also, and almost constantly think about ,,,,. I somehow managed to graduate with a Masters, and after that I came off my SSRIs which was a big deal for me. In 2016 I was also thrown devastating news (can't have children), and well I suppose I don't need to say how that effected me.

Despite all that though, alongside living with an emotionally abusive father, my mum makes no time for me anymore and hasn't done since her mum got a mental health problem. This was throughout the news that I couldn't have children. This was throughout the time I had a breakdown down the phone asking for help but she was with my gran who magically got 'ill' when she wasn't get my mums full attention and my mum chose to help her and told me to call the doctor.

My mum always acknowledged I was Ill, but that was the end of it. Sort of sweep it under the rug sort of thing and I always just took it that she didn't want to deal with it or just didn't know what to say. When my grandmother was diagnosed though my mum turned her whole life upside down to be there for her every need, despite her having other siblings to deal with things. Even now my mum spends all her time off with her and she constantly talks like this could be her last Christmas etc so all our seasonal holidays are shaped around her and it's been that way for five years now. My gran has everyone running around after her, she goes here there and everywhere and still complains. Meanwhile I'm sat here having left the house 10 times since January, and I just feel like... look right in front of you because the person you're investing all your time into is going to be alive for much longer. How can she not see that?

I just feel like I don't matter at all. That it wasn't a case of not knowing what to say or approach it, or being too busy with work, because if it was why wouldn't it be the same with my gran? I hate that I feel so resentful but I do. I'm angry that I'm just put to the side. I have no friends or life because of not being able to leave the house and my mum knows that but that's that. nothing. My mum was the most devoted mother when I was a child, and the way she is now I do genuinely believe she still thinks she's that person in my life despite the fact that I never get to see her or even have a conversation with her anymore. I can't talk to her about any of this of course. I brought it up a few weeks after that 2016 bad news and she got so defensive like I was being unreasonable and putting too much on her by simply wanting to spend a day a month with her.

I'm sure the automatic response would be for people to say I do matter and I shouldn't feel that I don't, but seriously how could anyone feel like that with all this? I've been so much more loyal and done SO much for my mum, for everyone throughout my whole life, always put myself last, yet my gran was a bad mum and always put herself first yet she's the one with everything and I'm here with nothing.

I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore but does anyone know how I can not feel the way I do? I'm happy my gran has support and my mum is now much closer with her, but... well, what I've said above I guess. There nothing to tell me anything other than that I simply don't matter, and never will.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I forgot to say that my mum has always been the closest person to me, throughout my entire life. Just one afternoon with her and my gran doing something as simple as going to pick something up in the car and I'm over the moon happy. That's why it bothers me so much. We never had a 'normal' relationship and we're always the closest people to each other.
apple32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know it sounds like strange advice but I would advise you to get some exercise, if you can. I don't know what your physical health looks like but try walking around your neighborhood, you can do some stretching exercise from your room or living room, there are videos on youtube, if you need some ideas. This will help end the depression, if you can exercise regularly. About your mom, it seems like she is also going through her own difficulty. She has you and her mom to worry about but she is only one person. She's decided to tend to your grandma because your grandma doesn't have much time left. Although she might have other siblings who can take of her, do they? Your mom loves her mom too much or else she would probably leave the caretaking to her other siblings. The thing with life and relationships is that it changes. You just have to adapt. As far as having children, there are other options. You can always adopt if you really want to have children in the future. There are many children who need good families. Please, take a look at this video about exercise.
baileyf14
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Feeling like you don't matter is a difficult feeling to deal with. Just know that you DO matter and that your mother DOES care about you. She may be taking care of your mom because no one else has time to or maybe for other reasons. Have you tried going with your mom to take care of your gran? That may help because you would be able to get out of the house and spend time with your mom. It is normal to feel left out when the closest person to you have other things to do but that does not mean she does not care about you. I hope it all works out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads