The Student Room Group

GCSE Grade Boundaries 2018 Released - GCSE results thread (OCR, AQA and EDEXCEL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mattlcfc
One paper coming out tomorrow is reporting pass marks are gonna be the same :frown:

Link?? Does this mean for maths and English in comparison to 2017, or is this for all the newly reformed subjects?
Original post by ANDREW 200436
Link?? Does this mean for maths and English in comparison to 2017, or is this for all the newly reformed subjects?

I can’t link it I saw a screenshot off it and I’m not sure
I just want to know the grade boyndaries so I can either stress about passing for a good reason or be able to stop stressing about a subject. :/
Reply 183
Original post by Loci Pi
Oh I remember that question. It was horrible :frown: I ran out of time so I only had enough time to draw the circuit, not do the written part. Do you think I'll get any marks just for the circuit drawing?

I remember in chem for an ionic bonding 4 marker our teacher said you could draw a dot cross for full marks instead of explaining so i think you’ll get at least 2! (If it’s correct) I had noooo idea on whether to pick a LDR, thermistor, resistor etc so I’ve already missed them marks
Original post by TO2
I remember in chem for an ionic bonding 4 marker our teacher said you could draw a dot cross for full marks instead of explaining so i think you’ll get at least 2! (If it’s correct) I had noooo idea on whether to pick a LDR, thermistor, resistor etc so I’ve already missed them marks

I knew what the circuit looked like, but like it was my last exam and my brain just went into overdrive and I barely knew what to write :redface:

I just really hope the boundary for 88 or 89 or 99 is low. Edexcel and AQA need to give us low boundaries!!!
Reply 185
To be honest it might actually make sense that the grade boundaries are slightly lower- this can be proven through the new A level grade boundaries which for science in particular were lower than last year. Last year science was the firts year of the new spec and people expected higher grade boundaries this year but infact it dropped a couple of percent- so you never know although in my opinion Im not expecting the grade boundaries to move very much just maybe by +2 marks

Original post by Notnek
For maths this is the second year of a new syllabus so teachers/students are more used to the syllabus plus there are more resources and exam papers. Also, teachers generally think that the 2018 exams were easier than 2017, particularly for Edexcel.

The stats show that whenever a new spec is introduced, the first year always has the worse results and they get better over the following years. If this happens in 2018 then the grade boundaries will go up to compensate for increased performance.

I haven't seen any prediction from teachers that say that maths boundaries will go down - everyone thinks they will go up. Of course there is no guarantee but it doesn't make sense to predict that they will go down IMO. I'm less familiar with English so I won't comment on that.

Predictions for the other subjects are very hard to make. Last year most predictions for the new 9-1 exam boundaries were wildly wrong. What probably will happen for the majority of subjects is that the boundaries will be lower than pre-9-1. But what they will be is still very much up in the air.

Original post by New Wonder
I agree that Daily Mail articles concerning GCSEs are generally garbage and oftentimes controversial to attract readers but I am simply making a point: Why should we assume that grade boundaries will go up when we have no evidence of that. By that logic I can assume the grade boundaries will go down!
Predictions For AQA English Language Grade Boundaries 2018:

125/160 - 9
116/160 - 8
107/160 - 7
96/160 - 6
86/160 - 5
76/160 - 4
59/160 - 3
39/160 - 2
18/160 - 1
17 or below - U

Way to high, you have to remember there is no foundation for English, so the grade biundries will have to be lenient towards those getting a 4 that arent as smart as others. Unrealistic imo
I reckon science will be so low tbh.
For example :
Biology
4-26
5-34
6-44
7 56
8-62
9-71
For example :
Biology
4-26
5-34
6-44
7 56
8-62
9-71

I would cry if it was this!!! 🙏🏼🙌🏽
Original post by Chickenhead11
I would cry if it was this!!! 🙏🏼🙌🏽

Off happiness? I reckon it’s realistic tbh, look at AQA. A level biology 65 % for an a*. In addition last year it was like 82% for an a* and last year maths and English went down by around 16-17% so do the Maths
Off happiness? I reckon it’s realistic tbh, look at AQA. A level biology 65 % for an a*. In addition last year it was like 82% for an a* and last year maths and English went down by around 16-17% so do the Maths

Yeh off happiness! I’m hoping for a 9 but It’s so hard to predict what we’ll get
Original post by Chickenhead11
Yeh off happiness! I’m hoping for a 9 but It’s so hard to predict what we’ll get

I reckon you’ll be on for a 9 if you can get 70 ish x
I reckon you’ll be on for a 9 if you can get 70 ish x

Thank you!!
Can I see everyone’s predictions for AQA triple science. Thank you
Original post by Loci Pi
I knew what the circuit looked like, but like it was my last exam and my brain just went into overdrive and I barely knew what to write :redface:

That's exactly what happened to me by the end of the exam season.
For example :
Biology
4-26
5-34
6-44
7 56
8-62
9-71

I feel that the boundaries for a 9 and 8 are a bit too low, in my opinion they need to be raised by 5 and 3 percentage points respectively.

Historically, the science grade boundaries are a few percentage points then maths and maths last year was 79% for a 9 so I would just take off a 3 percentage point to give 76% for a 9.
(edited 5 years ago)
I feel that the boundaries for a 9 and 8 are a bit too low, in my opinion they need to be raised by 5 and 3 percentage points respectively.

Historically, the science grade boundaries are a few percentage points then maths and maths last year was 79% for a 9 so I would just take off a 3 percentage point to give 76% for a 9.

Wait science is Lower than maths? I always thought maths was lower than science
Wait science is Lower than maths? I always thought maths was lower than science

Nope - Maths' grade boundaries, historically, have ALWAYS been higher then the grade boundaries of all sciences (Bio, Chem and Phys).
Original post by RickHendricks
I honestly would not guess grade boundaries.

Why? Take the new AS/A-level Maths grade boundaries.

Some of the ones made before were bizzare and almost 90% of the predictions made on TSR were wrong and simply stressed out students.

were they lower or higher than people predicted?
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
were they lower or higher than people predicted?

Last Year, people on TSR predicted the Maths grade boundaries but they were WAYYYY TO HIGH compared to the real boundaries.

Quick Reply

Latest