The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham CompSci with predicted 'B' in Maths?

Hi, I'm planning to apply to Durham for 2019 entry into their Computer Science course. I know I have a strong personal statement with plenty of super curricular stuff, plus a genuine passion for the subject. I achieved three 8's, four A*'s and three A's at GCSE, and have just today received my B grade in AS Physics.

I've been predicted A*AB, in Computer Science, History and Maths respectively. I believe I can pull off the A in Maths with hard work, but Durham specifically asks for an A for their CompSci course on the website (which I am not predicted).

If I apply, will I be immediately rejected? Do I stand a chance with my B grade in Physics and predicted B in Maths?
How about if my predicted for Maths was boosted to an A?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Congratulations on your results/predictions, those are some great grades!

I just asked a couple of CompSci friends from my college about their AS results and one of them actually had a B in AS Physics but still made it to Durham, so I don't think your Physics grade would be particularly concerning to the admissions department. :smile:

On the other hand, I'd argue that if you're predicted a B in Maths and the course specifically asks for an A, admissions might be a little more reluctant to make you an offer. I'm not saying it'd be a definite no if your personal statement etc. are strong, but I think it would definitely be worth seeing if your predicted grade can be bumped up to an A - especially if you think you're capable of achieving it!

Best of luck!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by f26d02
Congratulations on your results/predictions, those are some great grades!

I just asked a couple of CompSci friends from my college about their AS results and one of them actually had a B in AS Physics but still made it to Durham, so I don't think your Physics grade would be particularly concerning to the admissions department. :smile:

On the other hand, I'd argue that if you're predicted a B in Maths and the course specifically asks for an A, admissions might be a little more reluctant to make you an offer. I'm not saying it'd be a definite no if your personal statement etc. are strong, but I think it would definitely be worth seeing if your predicted grade can be bumped up to an A - especially if you think you're capable of achieving it!

Best of luck!

Thanks for your response.

I'm getting an A-level tutor for Maths next year (as opposed to the GCSE tutor I kept on for this year, who was largely incapable of helping). Furthermore, now that Physics is out of the way, I can focus all of my efforts into that Maths grade which I know will take hard work. Computer Science will stay as a high grade, because I literally do it for fun so it's more a hobby than a subject for me, and provided I maintain a decent work ethic History is fully doable as well.

Would it literally be an instant rejection if I was unable to get my predicted boosted up? I fully believe that I can get the A, especially with the motivation of a Durham offer behind me. I've attended the open day and done my research, the course content looks perfect and the general atmosphere is just more friendly than other places I've visited. I also like the culture in the department of students teaming up to make CS projects, and would like to be a part of that :smile:.

I suppose what I'm asking is, if I can't get it boosted, is it worth applying?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jackudy3
Thanks for your response.

I'm getting an A-level tutor for Maths next year (as opposed to the GCSE tutor I kept on for this year, who was largely incapable of helping). Furthermore, now that Physics is out of the way, I can focus all of my efforts into that Maths grade which I know will take hard work. Computer Science will stay as a high grade, because I literally do it for fun so it's more a hobby than a subject for me, and provided I maintain a decent work ethic History is fully doable as well.

Would it literally be an instant rejection if I was unable to get my predicted boosted up? I fully believe that I can get the A, especially with the motivation of a Durham offer behind me. I've attended the open day and done my research, the course content looks perfect and the general atmosphere is just more friendly than other places I've visited. I also like the culture in the department of students teaming up to make CS projects, and would like to be a part of that :smile:.

I suppose what I'm asking is, if I can't get it boosted, is it worth applying?

I've heard of a few people who applied to Durham with different predictions than the grades suggested by their courses and ended up getting an offer, including one of my old housemates who studied languages. They didn't apply for CompSci though, so I'm not 100% certain your department would follow the same pattern. It would definitely help your case a lot more if you had the A.

If you demonstrate a good work ethic during the upcoming term and can show your Maths teacher a strong personal statement, you'll probably find that they'll be more likely to shift the prediction to an A, especially if you're vocal about your goal to go to Durham. This happened to a friend of mine who needed her predicted grades raised for an offer at Leeds - she spent the entire first term of year 13 busting herself to prove to our History teacher that she could do it and it worked.

All the best :smile:
Reply 4
I applied to Durham this year for CS and my offer was AAB with an A in maths. Im not too sure if you’d be automatically rejected but having the A prediction in maths would definitely help. If you believe you can achieve an A in maths convince your teachers to predict you an A. I got a B at AS last year and my teacher was unwilling to predict me an A so i spoke to my head of sixth form about it. Try doing the same and telling them that you really need it. If you dont manage to get in up to an A, then still apply and make sure every other part of your application is amazing.
Reply 5
Original post by Samiik
I applied to Durham this year for CS and my offer was AAB with an A in maths. Im not too sure if you’d be automatically rejected but having the A prediction in maths would definitely help. If you believe you can achieve an A in maths convince your teachers to predict you an A. I got a B at AS last year and my teacher was unwilling to predict me an A so i spoke to my head of sixth form about it. Try doing the same and telling them that you really need it. If you dont manage to get in up to an A, then still apply and make sure every other part of your application is amazing.

Cheers for the response.

What were your predicted grades and in which subjects if you don't mind me asking? Did you feel you got a lower than average offer (on the website, it says that the standard offer is A*AA), and if so why?

I will definitely try to get it raised but I'm worried that they'll stand firm and my prospects will be ruined.
Reply 6
Cheers for the response.

What were your predicted grades and in which subjects if you don't mind me asking? Did you feel you got a lower than average offer (on the website, it says that the standard offer is A*AA), and if so why?

I will definitely try to get it raised but I'm worried that they'll stand firm and my prospects will be ruined.

I was predicted A*AA in psychology, maths and economics respectively. The standard offer for 2018 entry was AAA whereas the offer i got was AAB. Im not too sure why it was reduced but it couldve been due to going to a really bad school for gcses.

Keep trying to convince them. Maybe once youve done a class test and you get an A, show them that you can achieve this in your actual exams.
Also, why Durham? Have you visited and do you feel as though it would be the right place for you?
Reply 7
Original post by Samiik
I was predicted A*AA in psychology, maths and economics respectively. The standard offer for 2018 entry was AAA whereas the offer i got was AAB. Im not too sure why it was reduced but it couldve been due to going to a really bad school for gcses.

Keep trying to convince them. Maybe once youve done a class test and you get an A, show them that you can achieve this in your actual exams.
Also, why Durham? Have you visited and do you feel as though it would be the right place for you?

Essentially both the same question. I want to go to Durham because I really liked it on the open day, despite being initially very skeptical. The atmosphere is just generally more friendly, I like the course content that they ran through during the talk (e.g. teaching object oriented Java, which I already learn and enjoy at A-level, or the focus on efficient algorithms), I like the culture of tinkering/random projects that the students of the department have, I like the location as a place to live, not much of a social butterfly so less nightlife going on around me than in major cities is probably better. There's more reasons, but the point is that I've weighed it up, this isn't out of the blue.

As for the question about other universities, I definitely would not want to live down in London so UCL is immediately ruled out. Warwick is definitely a consideration and I'm visiting them soon, Edinburgh I need to do more research into. My main alternative is Manchester, my local university, which I'm sure is great but I'm not sure whether I'd like to stay so close to home (booked on their open day btw).

Plenty of time to change my mind but I'm quite set on applying to Durham at this stage, obviously I have my four other application spots though :smile:.

Edit: Just checked and UCL also requires an A* in Maths, which would just compound my current issue. Definitely not an option.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just want to show you this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOi-WMtz9I

She gets AAA in Maths, Further Maths & Computer Science but needed A* in Maths and got rejected by Durham straight away.
Reply 9
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Just want to show you this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOi-WMtz9I

She gets AAA in Maths, Further Maths & Computer Science but needed A* in Maths and got rejected by Durham straight away.

She wanted to do Computer Science with Mathematics, whereas I only wish to do the BSc in Computer Science. It's still borderline evil that they rejected her with an A and didn't take her on as a near miss, but this is less relevant to me because I doubt they would be (as) strict on the Maths grade for just the ordinary CompSci course. If I were to get an offer, I'm pretty sure that they'd want an 'A' in Maths, and therefore couldn't reject me for not getting the A*.
(edited 5 years ago)
She wanted to do Computer Science with Mathematics, whereas I only wish to do the BSc in Computer Science. It's still borderline evil that they rejected her with an A and didn't take her on as a near miss, but this is less relevant to me because I doubt they would be (as) strict on the Maths grade for just the ordinary CompSci course. If I were to get an offer, I'm pretty sure that they'd want an 'A' in Maths, and therefore couldn't reject me for not getting the A*.

Good luck!
Reply 11

Just to let you know that Durham did in fact accept me as their insurance. Goodluck with your application, i hope it goes well!
Reply 12
Original post by Samiik
Just to let you know that Durham did in fact accept me as their insurance. Goodluck with your application, i hope it goes well!

Congratulations! What grades did you achieve, I assume this is for the CS course right?

Quick Reply