The Student Room Group

buying alcohol for the first time - advice needed!!

I turned 18 last week and idk what count as ID. I dont have a driving license but id feel kinda stupid taking my passport to Tescos lol. idk whatelse i could use. i literally have nothing. also idk what I should buy the first time. I'm feeling kind of depressed and I've been waiting until I turn 18 to finally have something to get me through my depressive moods. But what would you guys recommend?

Scroll to see replies

bump
Your passport counts, I've used it before. Nobody asking for ID bats an eye at it, just don't lose the bloody thing.

What you buy for the first time kind of depends, have you drank before?
Reply 3
If you dont have an ID card then use your passport. If you have nothing else, surely going with what you have makes sense? Just dont lose your it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Your passport counts, I've used it before. Nobody asking for ID bats an eye at it, just don't lose the bloody thing.

What you buy for the first time kind of depends, have you drank before?

I've had beer before and I had wine last week but like a glass of it
Your passport is fine. I take mine everywhere as it's the only ID I have.
You can use your passport I’ve used it before, but take it easy don’t get addicted and start drinking a lot
any drink recommendations
Original post by Sara saleh
You can use your passport I’ve used it before, but take it easy don’t get addicted and start drinking a lot

Taking your passport is fine- but definitely keep it safe! if you're willing to wait a few weeks you can order an ID card like CitizenCard so you have a photo id without having to get a driving license.
I know this wasn't asked for in the question, but I get really nervous about buyimg alcohol even though I'm of age, (especially since i look about 15!!) so something that helps me is to get my ID out before they even ask you for it, so they can tell you're expecting to be asked for it and don't have anything to hide.
I would also say that be careful with using alcohol to cope with low moods. the two things that might happen is that you might become dependent on it and that's bad for MANY reasons (people worrying about you, all ur money going down the drain, feeling even worse when ur sober etc) or the other thing is you might feel worse. for me at least, wine especially just makes me more depressed lol!! having it once in a while is fine though!! stay safe and healthy :beer:
Just do not assume you are hardcore, at 14 my mate thought we could do with a crate of beer and a bottle of vodka each.
I feel quite paternalistic. Like I am watching OP grow up before my very eyes.

It's sad really; eventually she will be leaving home and moving on to her own life.
Original post by Notoriety
I feel quite paternalistic. Like I am watching OP grow up before my very eyes.

It's sad really; eventually she will be leaving home and moving on to her own life.

aww I appreciate you creepily watching over me :biggrin:
also drink recommendations? people! seriously?!
Get red wine or light margarita
Original post by justanotherchica

What do you mean drink recommendations? Drinks for what? Just cos you’re 18 doesn’t mean you can handle 30% vodka. Just grab some cheap Sainsburys basic beer and go before suspicious parents see you.

Many ladies have.

I don't know if drinking is necessarily going to help your depression. Might be better to speak to someone: GP or therapist (Mind does it for free).

If you're looking for a geniunley tasty drink, go for a bottle of WKD.
It's light on the alcohol, but still gives you a gentle burn.
That and it tastes amazing
fruit cider is fabulous (rekorderlig cider partiuclarly) and i don't think the alcohol consumption is too high so it's a pretty neat drink tbh
You turned 18 and wanna drink away your sorrows haha, maybe other ways will help you more eg exercise or a hobby like that
Bacardi 20cl should be good for you alone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending