The Student Room Group

I feel like a failure

I’m turning 19 and I just wasted 3 years of my life doing Alevels just to fail whilst other people did two years and got fantastic grades. I’m depressed asf, I’ll go a week without showering and not eating. I’ll be secluded in my room not speaking to anyone. I don’t have any friends no one texts me or calls me so I’ll go days without speaking to anyone. The only family I have is my mother and she works nights as a nurse so she won’t speak to me. I’ve never had a boyfriend, I just get used and dumped like trash, no one ever stays long enough for a second date. I’m worthless and a failure.
(edited 5 years ago)
:jumphug:
Please please don't. You can retake and repeat, its never the end of the world. You can try something different. Speak to someone who is supporting and caring, your mum?. Try not to compare you're self to others, everyone's situation/life is different and it is not a race. You're young and you have your whole life ahead of you. Try to get the help you need first to improve your health/situation. I just want to tell you again you are not worthless despite what you think..
Don't say that, I'm pretty sure you're not worthless. Going a week without eating nor showering isn't going to help you feel better. You're going through some roughtimes and that's completely understandable but you need to keep going! I know it ****ing sucks for me to tell you to keep going but honestly there's always a way out in life, you can't give up. You'll find the man of your life, it's just a matter of learning from past experiences and being patient. And honestly, exams can be retaken, don't worry so much about that, just try your best next time!
HI, I am not gonna lie but I can relate to these horrible and toxic thoughts.
Think about it, our planet is a small spec in our universe, tiny. All around us are things that we do not know or cannot comprehend. We have galaxies, stars, planets and maybe even other universes. But again, we are all so small in this massive life.
Because we are so small, as are so simple so we can survive.
The aim of human existence is to survive.
Anything on top of that is just material and is what we have made up.
But in life, we now have so many options.
Bad grades? Go get an apprenticeship.
No boyfriend? Learn to love yourself and know your worth.
Please dont end it all.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m turning 19 and I just wasted 3 years of my life doing Alevels just to fail whilst other people did two years and got fantastic grades. I’m depressed asf, I’ll go a week without showering and not eating. I’ll be secluded in my room not speaking to anyone. I don’t have any friends no one texts me or calls me so I’ll go days without speaking to anyone. The only family I have is my mother and she works nights as a nurse so she won’t speak to me. I’ve never had a boyfriend, I just get used and dumped like trash, no one ever stays long enough for a second date. I’m worthless and a failure, I really don’t feel like living anymore. I don’t see the purpose of my life anymore

come on - don't be so harsh on yourself. we've all had set backs when you let it get to you you start slipping and life feels hard, but when you fight for things and keep going that's when you achieve. Nobody who has grades got them at the click of fingers we have to work for them. I have never had a girlfriend without first putting in effort, same with friends.

I have had bad grades before I even got low grades on a few of my GCSEs but I am now @ Oxford Uni doing medicine
Reply 6
I am so sorry to hear that x

I know this is cliche but there is so much more to live for in this world. A levels are not the only road that you can take- perhaps they are just not for you and that’s ok. It’s a big world out there and there definitely exists something that you will flourish in. Perhaps you could consider an apprenticeship or maybe foundation course instead if you’re looking to Uni in the future? I know how lonely life may seem right now but there are almost 8 billion people on earth. You are not alone. You will find friends and loved ones who care about you and make you feel like the most special person on earth and, as the saying goes, good things take time.
Reply 7
Please please don't. You can retake and repeat, its never the end of the world. You can try something different. Speak to someone who is supporting and caring, your mum?. Try not to compare you're self to others, everyone's situation/life is different and it is not a race. You're young and you have your whole life ahead of you. Try to get the help you need first to improve your health/situation. I just want to tell you again you are not worthless despite what you think..

I’d love to go to a top 30 university to study my dream subject with fantastic grades but I know I’ll fail again if I retake unless I had a private tutor. Maybe I could do an access course. I just want some time away from the world, not having to think about my failures ever again and not to feel alone for another day
I’m turning 19 and I just wasted 3 years of my life doing Alevels just to fail whilst other people did two years and got fantastic grades. I’m depressed asf, I’ll go a week without showering and not eating. I’ll be secluded in my room not speaking to anyone. I don’t have any friends no one texts me or calls me so I’ll go days without speaking to anyone. The only family I have is my mother and she works nights as a nurse so she won’t speak to me. I’ve never had a boyfriend, I just get used and dumped like trash, no one ever stays long enough for a second date. I’m worthless and a failure, I really don’t feel like living anymore. I don’t see the purpose of my life anymore

No! Honestly, everyone says that your grades don't define you because they really don't. There is more to life than grades. Even if you didn't get into uni, there are many other options. You don't need good grades to be successful and some of those who get fantastic grades are not so successful. 19 is still very young aswell, you have plenty of time to get a boyfriend! If you're that upset about your grades you can always retake your subjects! Please don't harm yourself over grades. It is really not worth it.
Reply 9

Hey, I did A-Levels and failed too. I've been there and understand what you're going through. You can recover from this and trust me, it's not all over (I'm at uni now). If you need someone to message, I'm available. Hang in there.
Hey, I'm not really good at giving life changing advice but I did want to say a few things. Basically, I'm in the same place as you, i'm turning 19 within the next few days, I did 3 years of a level (which has been the most LONGEST thing EVER), and even though I did spend a significant time revising and following revision tips, I didn't get the best grades possible. Yeah, I am feeling down about it and the thought of being a failure has circled round in my mind a countless number of times, especially as I am a year behind my actual year group. However, having that mindset just brings us down into a darker place where we feel like there is literally no hope.

OP, we have genuinely come to far to give up and we also have just started out with our life. There are endless opportunities to be taken up and tbh grades aren't the be all and end all. Yeah, true, it does give the opportunity for a easier access into higher education, however there are other routes that can be taken such as foundation courses or apprenticeships, or literally just taking time out to travel and gain some life experience. In regards to guys in our year group, majority of them are trash and aren't ready to settle down or be in a relationship, so be wary of them and keep them at an arms length while you get yourself grounded.
Speak to your mum when you can though, and when you're feeling up to it just take a walk around the block or something, that helps to clear my mind when i'm annoyed...or play music...literally whatever is your way to outlet stress, do that.

But yeah, don't give up just yet. Everyone has the potential for success within them, you just gotta find it out for yourself. I'm still figuring it out, but it'll be okay 😊🤞👌

...sorry for it being so long >.<
From what I have just read you are clearly such a beautiful and lost soul. Dark times are made so the better times are brighter! Everyone has their individual problems, with some people having it worse at certain times. It is soul destroying to get 'bad results' especially when those around you did well- but are they happy? They will 100% have their own problems. Plenty of UNI's have different options etc. If you look at all the people who have replied to this post, you'll see how much we care. The fact that you posted this shows how brave and courageous you are to keep fighting. It's not the end for you. Many people take peace in religion or a pet or volunteering (like me) Tomorrow is a new day-start off with a shower or a bath; this never fails to help me feel better. Life is not all about achievements and impressions, sometimes it's just about calm and selfishness. Forums like this are great for opening up whenever you need to. When you do get the chance to speak to your Mum, ask her how work went because the chances are she's feeling drained too! You can lean on each other. Iv'e never had a proper bf either and feel so pressured to have one! I'll do it when I feel ready. Sometimes you just need to breathe and count your blessings. Some days I just watch movies or splash a bit of money on makeup to help build my personal confidence. Also, whatever the future holds will also carry new opportunities and friends. Do not ever give up hope, you are worth it and we all believe in you. Better times are ahead. You will never feel worse than this. Lotta love <333

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending