Further maths and preferable a level combinations for computer science degree? Watch

non0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m currently going though the process of choosing a levels. I saw that most ‘top’ or ‘best’ unis require further maths for a computer science degree. What set of options would unis find most preferable: maths, further maths and computer science or maths, physics, computer science?? I understand all four would be best, but if I was to drop an option from maths, further maths, physics and computer science, which should I drop?
Grw6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do an extra subject you are interested in that you can drop if needed. Then take math, physics, computer science and ??? then you can further develop your skills. Also you don't loose out on the core subjects needed for your degree and it's shows that you have other interests.
non0
Rep:
?
Are you suggesting to take four and then drop one if necessary? If so which should I drop when lots of top unis require fmaths?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by non0)
So I’m currently going though the process of choosing a levels. I saw that most ‘top’ or ‘best’ unis require further maths for a computer science degree. What set of options would unis find most preferable: maths, further maths and computer science or maths, physics, computer science?? I understand all four would be best, but if I was to drop an option from maths, further maths, physics and computer science, which should I drop?
As long as you have FM and Maths, the third subject can be anything really.

I suggest taking 3 only. You do not need 4. If I were you, I'd take FM, Maths, and Physics rather than CS. Physics is arguably more useful imo.
non0
Rep:
?
So ‘top’ unis accept further maths as the third and final option?
Grw6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm saying take four like further maths as your fourth and drop that one. But choose computer science, maths and physics. personally don't think further maths is an alevel but I don't know. then you are covering all the skills you need for university
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by non0)
Are you suggesting to take four and then drop one if necessary? If so which should I drop when lots of top unis require fmaths?
I'd do 4 and see how you get on. Bad teacher in one subject, lots of supply teachers, find you struggle with one of the subjects (or struggle to get top grades)? Drop that one.
Willanator
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Better to do four and have the option of dropping one rather than only doing 3 and thinking you could have done a fourth, don't miss opportunities even if it seems optimistic!
non0
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
I'd do 4 and see how you get on. Bad teacher in one subject, lots of supply teachers, find you struggle with one of the subjects (or struggle to get top grades)? Drop that one.
And it would be okay to drop physics to be left with maths, further maths and computing?
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by non0)
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by non0)
And it would be okay to drop physics to be left with maths, further maths and computing?
For computer science courses? I believe so but always best to keep checking the courses you are interested in (read requirements and preferences carefully) and check for advice on here.
non0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crow_M)
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
And if I had to drop one?
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by non0)
And if I had to drop one?
I'd say computing or the one that you struggle the most with.
non0
Rep:
?
I will start with all four, but to be honest, the option I’m least sure about is physics. However, I’m not sure whether ‘top’ unis accept just maths, further maths and computing. I understand lots of competition will have four options, but minimum requirements include further maths so if I had to resort to just three options, would just maths, further maths and computing be alright?
Willanator
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by non0)
I will start with all four, but to be honest, the option I’m least sure about is physics. However, I’m not sure whether ‘top’ unis accept just maths, further maths and computing. I understand lots of competition will have four options, but minimum requirements include further maths so if I had to resort to just three options, would just maths, further maths and computing be alright?
Good choice. I am going into my upper sixth year actually taking all four of these subjects, wanting to study Computer Science with Maths at Uni. I would say that if you want to drop one it should be physics or computing (I have yet to come across a Computing degree course that requires a Computing A-Level, not to say they don't exist).

I actually dropped Further Maths after the first year, only taking an AS, but have now proceeded to take it up again this year because I found it to be enjoyable.

If you do all four all I can say is, be prepared to work hard, they are arguably four of the hardest A-Level subjects.
My advice (after having done of year of this) would be to literally start as soon as possible. I know it is currently summer but there are some great resources online if you haven't managed to get the text book (PhysicsAndMathTutor, IssacPhysics). I made the mistake of underestimating the work that needed to be done for end of years and the AS, please don't let that happen to you.

Finally, Good Luck and stay resilient, it will be a bumpy but, if successful, highly rewarding ride!
non0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Willanator)
Good choice. I am going into my upper sixth year actually taking all four of these subjects, wanting to study Computer Science with Maths at Uni. I would say that if you want to drop one it should be physics or computing (I have yet to come across a Computing degree course that requires a Computing A-Level, not to say they don't exist).

I actually dropped Further Maths after the first year, only taking an AS, but have now proceeded to take it up again this year because I found it to be enjoyable.

If you do all four all I can say is, be prepared to work hard, they are arguably four of the hardest A-Level subjects.
My advice (after having done of year of this) would be to literally start as soon as possible. I know it is currently summer but there are some great resources online if you haven't managed to get the text book (PhysicsAndMathTutor, IssacPhysics). I made the mistake of underestimating the work that needed to be done for end of years and the AS, please don't let that happen to you.

Finally, Good Luck and stay resilient, it will be a bumpy but, if successful, highly rewarding ride!
Alrighty, thanks so much, that really helped. I’ll start off with all four, see how it goes and if it comes to it will probably drop physics. Thanks
MagicFish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Having very recent experience of this, keep maths and further maths - definitely! Then see how you are holding up with physics and computing at the end of yr 12, and if struggling, drop one. 3 strong grades are better than 4 average.
Also, make sure you work consistently hard in yr 12; use the online resources others have suggested to reinforce learning / help with weak areas. (You want your teachers to be able to justify predicting you the highest grades possible, because this will make a difference to where you can apply and the offers you will receive.)
Enjoy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
18.74%
Labour (319)
42.7%
Liberal Democrats (152)
20.35%
Green Party (41)
5.49%
Brexit Party (21)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)