The Student Room Group

Any advice for a group interview with social anxiety?

Has anyone ever had a group interview with their social anxiety? Any tips would be appreciated. I’m scared that I’ll sit there and say nothing the whole time… TIA
Just know that other people are feeling the same thing
They're all strangers, theyre meaningless, irrelevant, their opinions don't matter
Original post by Panickingdiscos
Has anyone ever had a group interview with their social anxiety? Any tips would be appreciated. I’m scared that I’ll sit there and say nothing the whole time… TIA

I had one at the start of the year. There were 10 of us and we each had to show our portfolios to the rest of he group as well as 4 tutors. I was terrified as they went round the circle and I went last. I suffer from panic attacks and so I was worried I would have one in front of everyone in there... I made sure to participate in the group interview but also that I took a couple of moments every now and then to look out the window and breathe deeply. I made it through and I was the only one to get a place out of the group too!! Honestly, you will be fine - you just have to remember to breathe!! Good luck :smile:
I found that if it's for a well known business, searching online for things like "(business name) interview questions" can allow you to find some forums with people telling you how the interview is structured and what kind of questions/tasks they will ask of you. You may feel less anxious being able to anticipate what they will want from you before you walk in and you can think of some answers to stock questions beforehand.

Also, do be yourself. We anxious people respond in different ways to stressful social situations - for example, in group interviews they may make you do some random group activity like building a tower, and if you're not a natural "leader" in a group, don't force yourself to be. You may instead be more quiet but a good listener and instruction follower. These traits are also good in the eyes of employers.

Finally, when it comes to speaking to others in the group, just have some stock questions in your head so you will never be in silence. Things like "where are you from?" and questions about the job is fine, everyone is nervous and won't be expecting amazing conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest