The Student Room Group

My A-levels

I got DDE in my A-levels in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics respectively.I'm extremely gutted and don't know what next at all. I'm kind of thinking that this is the end of the road academically for me. I don't even know if I could get into any University.

Scroll to see replies

Dont worry about it; have you gone through clearing?
Original post by Darrell5
I got DDE in my A-levels in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics respectively.I'm extremely gutted and don't know what next at all. I'm kind of thinking that this is the end of the road academically for me. I don't even know if I could get into any University.

What subject are you looking for? I would recommend aiming for Universities with Foundation Courses and looking at the UCAS Tariff points, Currently you have 64 points with your results. Are you in year 12 or just finished year 13?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SilentStudent.
Dont worry about it; have you gone through clearing?

No I have not
Go on then.
Reply 5
Original post by therandomperson
What subject are you looking for? I would recommend aiming for Universities with Foundation Courses and looking at the UCAS Tariff points, Currently you have 64 points with your results. Are you in year 13 or just finished year 14?

Well, I wanted to do Mineral Engineering but I don't think that I'll be able to do that. At least not this year.
Well I can safely tell you that STEM isn't for you. So if you want to go to uni apply for different types of courses that you wouldn't traditionally go for.
Reply 7
What subject are you looking for? I would recommend aiming for Universities with Foundation Courses and looking at the UCAS Tariff points, Currently you have 64 points with your results. Are you in year 13 or just finished year 14?

I've just finished Year 13!
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm just finished Year 13!

Ignore me on that, I am used to saying Year 1 & year 2 and had forgot that you start A-Levels in year 12. Have you contacted your college to see if they will allow you to resit the year?
Well, I wanted to do Mineral Engineering but I don't think that I'll be able to do that. At least not this year.

Have you researched every single clearing course available? I’m sure there’s at least one option out there that fits your entry requirements but you may have to make compromises (ie foundation courses or adaptations of your desired degree)
Reply 10
Original post by germanwife
Well I can safely tell you that STEM isn't for you. So if you want to go to uni apply for different types of courses that you wouldn't traditionally go for.

Well, wouldn't that require me to totally re-do my A-levels from scratch?
And I don't think so because I've aced my exams many times before. I just don't know what happened this time round.
I'm thinking about resitting a couple of papers because I passed the ones that I passed really well and in the ones that I didn't, I failed miserably.
But I also have great love for the Arts so maybe you're right on me not taking the right path.
Reply 11
Ignore me on that, I am used to saying Year 1 & year 2 and had forgot that you start A-Levels in year 12. Have you contacted your college to see if they will allow you to resit the year?

Yes, I did but unfortunately, they say that they can't and my teachers advise me to do so independently.
Reply 12
I was also offered Mining Engineering by a University in Canada called Laurentian University but I'm afraid that they'll withdraw their offer because of my grades. I haven't even sent them the grades yet for that very reason.
Well, wouldn't that require me to totally re-do my A-levels from scratch?
And I don't think so because I've aced my exams many times before. I just don't know what happened this time round.
I'm thinking about resitting a couple of papers because I passed the ones that I passed really well and in the ones that I didn't, I failed miserably.
But I also have great love for the Arts so maybe you're right on me not taking the right path.

Nah you wouldn't need to do A-levels from scratch because generally only STEM courses require a background in the field. For things like arts it doesn't matter what A levels you took. You just need to show commitment to them as well as a passion for arts. I have a friend who did: Business studies, Economics and Law at A2. He's now doing an Art history degree at uni.
Reply 14
Original post by ALevel(WhichIs^)
Have you researched every single clearing course available? I’m sure there’s at least one option out there that fits your entry requirements but you may have to make compromises (ie foundation courses or adaptations of your desired degree)

I'll make sure to go through each and every single one of them and hopefully, I'll get at least one.
I'll make sure to go through each and every single one of them and hopefully, I'll get at least one.

Yeah you will! And that one could be perfect for you.
Reply 16
Thanks. How do you think those options compare to resitting some of the exams?

You can either:

- Do a foundation year
Complete the year and transfer to uni a year later with your A level plus the foundation year. (You have to talk to the uni and ask if + a foundation year you can be considered for degree entry)

- Do a foundation degree programme
Is usually an integrated foundation year which you have to pass to go onto the degree

Or just wait it out and see what you want to do and what field/industry works for you. There is not rush. However, both options means you have to do lots of research and make sure wherever you hope to go will take you, with a foundation year.
Before you do anything, you should really be reevaluating your approach and why you are doing what you are doing. Going to some dead end uni, getting 60k of debt without a game plan seems like a recipe for disaster.

Take a step back and figure out what you are doing wrong because you clearly aren't able to study effectively. At A-levels, most of the answers are already available to you, along with literature. Simply going through books, the specification, past papers is enough to get at least a B for most Science and Maths based subjects.
Get ready to work in Dubai under the notorious Kafala System. Look up "Kafala System" or "Nizaam - e- Kafala" to see how horrible it is. I'm sorry, but thats your only option.

Quick Reply

Latest