The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering CLEARING HELP????

I got ABB in my A-levels and hold an unconditional offer from southampton for aerospace engineering. I am thinking of staying home and studying in london at queen mary instead for the same course. Southampton is way better for my course. Will studying at queen mary effect my future career in a negative way?
Original post by A380mar
I got ABB in my A-levels and hold an unconditional offer from southampton for aerospace engineering. I am thinking of staying home and studying in london at queen mary instead for the same course. Southampton is way better for my course. Will studying at queen mary effect my future career in a negative way?

Is the QMUL course accredited? Have a look at unistats for the employment information for each course.
Hi my son got d in maths and e in Physics and biology for his a levels he’s managed to get on to the foundation course for engineering do you think he will able to cope with work load or should he go back to college and resist his a levels
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hamzaumayr
Hi my son got d in maths and e in Physics and biology for his a levels he’s managed to get on to the foundation course for engineering do you think he will able to cope with work load or should he go back to college and resist his a levels

The workload is likely to be similar with either option - what will be different will be the cost but also the living/study environment. Resitting A levels is cheaper but many students feel like this isn't what they want - they want to leave home/go to uni and get on with the next stage of their lives. If resitting seems like something your son isn't keen on then it's not worth pushing it. He might be trying to protect your feelings by hiding how much he wants to move on and become more independent...forcing someone who is ready to stay at college and resit could well lead to his motivation plummeting.

At the same time if he's only looking at a foundation because he feels pressure from friends/media to "grow up" then that might not be right for him either.

Not all foundation years are equal. It is important to ask some questions of the university:
- where will the course be taught
- who will be teaching it
- what sort of class sizes are there
- what sort of topics are covered
- what is the pass rate for the year
- what proportion of students starting the year get to continue on their preferred degree
- what proportion of those students finish their degree/actually qualify (ie do foundation year students have a higher chance of dropping out once they start their degree level)
- if he wanted to apply to another degree following foundation would they support his UCAS application/provide a reference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending